Bi xenon bulb replacement W211 270E... Without headlamp removal?

ippyiain

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270 CDI
Title kind of says it all !

My passenger side headlamp unit has just been replaced as part of an insurance fix and I now have two mismatched lighting levels on the heads ( unsurprisingly as the drivers one is original I think)

I have bought a part of 5000k D2S bulbs from http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/HID-D2S-Gas-Discharge-Bulbs-5000K-Upgrade-pair.html?bulb_search=car

Had a look and the passenger side looks tricky but possible with the unit in place but the drivers side looks like I will need a new joint in my arm !

Is this an in situ job or should I prepare to remove the bumper? ( which is brand new and shiny so I am keen not to get it scratched either way !, )

Any tips or "how to" notes from forum? I couldn't find a definite answer for the 270E in search.

Thanks in advance :)

Corned

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S211 E320CDI Avantgarde
Not sure if there's a 'How To', but it is possible on a W211. I've done it a few times.

Yes, it's ****** fiddly, and you will scratch and scrape your fingers, hands and arms in the process. But you don't need to remove anything other than the bin lid covers on the back of the headlamp units - to gain access to the lamps.

I find that my trusty old Vauxhall Viva wing mirror is invaluable for jobs like these. If you have anything similar available, then you will too.

Oh, and a torch. :)

OP
I

ippyiain

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270 CDI
Not sure if there's a 'How To', but it is possible on a W211. I've done it a few times.

Yes, it's ****** fiddly, and you will scratch and scrape your fingers, hands and arms in the process. But you don't need to remove anything other than the bin lid covers on the back of the headlamp units - to gain access to the lamps.

I find that my trusty old Vauxhall Viva wing mirror is invaluable for jobs like these. If you have anything similar available, then you will too.

Oh, and a torch. :)

Thanks Corned...I feel a Sunday morning of swearing coming up tomorrow !! :D

OP
I

ippyiain

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270 CDI
Done... and yes if it a fiddle but with patience and a few skinned knuckles it is possible so thanks for the "go for it" Corned :)

Passenger side took about 20 mins going carefully so I didn't drop anything into the bottomless pit of the engine compartment!

Drivers side took about twice as long as it was tighter access and the bulb spring clip decided to come off completely when i took the old bulb out... pig to get hooked back in at the top of the bulb mount but a bit of extra cursing did the trick ;)

The drivers ignite unit was on upside down... i refitted it with the arrow pointing up same as the new passenger side. Works fine so I assume it was either done like that from new or maybe the bulbs have been replaced before at some point.

All sorted and now have two lights the same colour... will be interested to see tonight if 5000k looks much different to before.

Corned

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 S211 E320CDI Avantgarde
Glad you're sorted!

Incidentally, I think one of mine was fitted apparently upside down, but I think there is a reason for that, if I remember correctly. The wires from the ballast come from opposite sides so the socket on the igniter would be opposite on one side, hence the inversion.

OP
I

ippyiain

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E270 CDI
Ah... makes sense...Well it's pouring outside now so that quick tweak can wait until tomorrow !

Having two the same colour also highlighted that the new one wasn't properly aligned and was too low so sorted that as well.

Thanks for your expertise :)

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom