Biggie Ignition/Key Problem, Help!

abe

Reaction score
i own a 1999 mercedes c180 w202.
my remote key fob packed up, i rung mercedes and they said i need a new key like £200 :O.

i thought maybe there maybe another way.
i bought a whole new set of locks( boot, Doors, and ignition/steering lock)
this also come with the remote key, :)

so i started to get to work, i replaced the boot lock door locks and finally the steering lock and the ignition. but... now the problem

once all connected up, i can use the remote key to lock, unlock, and open the boot of my car :), i put the key in the ignition, it takes the steearing lock off, goes to postion 1, then 2, all the lights come on on the dash, and you can hear the engine make a little noise, nothing new, then when u turn position 3, which should turn the motor over, it doesnt, nothing happens :O

if i put the key in and turn it really quickly all the way round to pos 3. it kinda fires up for like 1-2 seconds then just dies again.

any one know why this happens? i triied ringing mercedes but they want ££££

any help would be very much helpfull.
thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Did you replace all the EIS components,,it could be coded to the engine ECU

OP
A

abe

Reaction score
EIS?? wheres that? thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The EIS is the electronic ignition switch and I feel sure that it all coded to the engine module wait till Allex see s the post he is good at these things

OP
A

abe

Reaction score
ok sweeet thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You should read the post by "investor" all about the same thing and current and the same car

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
i own a 1999 mercedes c180 w202.
my remote key fob packed up, i rung mercedes and they said i need a new key like £200 :O.

i thought maybe there maybe another way.
i bought a whole new set of locks( boot, Doors, and ignition/steering lock)
this also come with the remote key, :)

so i started to get to work, i replaced the boot lock door locks and finally the steering lock and the ignition. but... now the problem

once all connected up, i can use the remote key to lock, unlock, and open the boot of my car :), i put the key in the ignition, it takes the steearing lock off, goes to postion 1, then 2, all the lights come on on the dash, and you can hear the engine make a little noise, nothing new, then when u turn position 3, which should turn the motor over, it doesnt, nothing happens :O

if i put the key in and turn it really quickly all the way round to pos 3. it kinda fires up for like 1-2 seconds then just dies again.

any one know why this happens? i triied ringing mercedes but they want ££££

any help would be very much helpfull.
thanks

Hi,
Did you change the cars ECU? (with the one off of the donor car where the locks came from) as I believe unless you have this your car will never start, I think you have been misled into buying this lock kit.
The EIS switch is programmable (ignition switch) the key is programmable but not RE-programmeable, the key has to match all three components to work and start the car. I don,t believe the ECU can be changed to suit either.
I use to go to Mercman when they were in Southampton and he had shelves and shelves of ECUs and when asked about them they said they of little or no use as they were car specific, they use to sell them to an electronics company for spares.
Basically the car's immobilser is on, this effectively turns off/disables the the ECU, you can try to disable the immobilser, but without a degree in computer programming and a spare few days I don,t hold out much hope.

OP
A

abe

Reaction score
damn thanks for the help, looks like i will just have to stick to my emergency key with the original ignition, :( unless maybe your saying if i get the ignition, stearinglock, and... ecu off of another doner car... it may well work?

bigasotonuk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43/55 AMG 1999 / C230K 1997
Surely with all the expense, time and hassle would,nt it be easier just to get a new key?
Whats wrong with your original key?

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
can i check, does this car have the flip out blade key? or the all electronic key? either way you need the engine's ecu to go with the key or EIS - sorry.

wright

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E200, Transporter van
can anyone tell me which ecu is the that needs to be changed, there seems to be a few of them together, i'm going to the scrap yard tomorrow they got an e class in today with all the bits i need i hope.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom