Bit of added security

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
I know that it's not much but, as I can't get the car in the garage, I decided to make things a bit more difficult for a potential thief with the aid of a security post in the driveway. I'm also aware that a professional thief will just treat this as a minor inconvenience, though it will hopefully slow them up that little bit longer to capture them on a camera, of which there are a few. It's primarily there for the opportunist who will hopefully decide to look elsewhere.

I've no access to my emails at the moment, so can't confirm where it came from or how much it was, though do remember that it was less than £150 inc VAT and delivery.

The whole job took less than 3 hours from start to finish, thanks to a good mate, which I was pleased with considering that it sits 900mm in the ground. Not a bad morning's work. :D

Flag 01.jpg Flag 02.jpg Flag 03.jpg Flag 04.jpg Flag 05.jpg

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Looks good Dave. My only concern would be that it advertises something that might be worth a closer look.

OP
daveenty

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
Unfortunately Alastair, the car will be on view anyway as the 190 has to live in the garage for insurance purposes. :(

They're quite happy for a new E63 to be parked on the drive, yet a 28 year old car worth less than a quarter of it has to be kept indoors, so the E Class will be outside the garage door with the post "protecting" it from the bad people. :)

If anyone does get too close then the security lights (very bright) will come on and and the cameras are constantly recording.

V6Matty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S212/2010/E350 (His) W246/2016/B200 (Hers)
nicely concealed that Dave, your really going to have to build that double garage in the back yard now though

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Ah fair enough Dave. Insurance companies are odd....

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
Looks good Dave. My only concern would be that it advertises something that might be worth a closer look.

Place the car over
Ah fair enough Dave. Insurance companies are odd....

Yep, the insurance company only want you to put it in the garage so they can charge you more!! I know this because I had it out with them over 'parked in garage' against 'parked on drive'. Apparently more classics are nicked from locked premises than not. Try PJ for your classic insurance ;)

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Very nice job,
is there protection to prevent grit locking it up as it slides?

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Nice job...now...don't forget it's there when you jump into the driving seat!!!

OP
daveenty

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
The insurance is a strange thing unfortunately. It's fully comp with a good agreed valuation on the 190 but they insisted upon seeing pictures of various angels of the car, also one inside the garage before committing to a quote. It must stay garaged between 22.00 & 06.00, unless at a show or meet.

Very nice job,
is there protection to prevent grit locking it up as it slides?

Apart from the lid then no, though there's quite a bit of slack so it should be OK.

Reactions: M80

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
A chap round the corner has two of them installed in a weird position ,or so i thought.

When his M4 is reversed in the driveway as close to his boundary wall as possible he gets out , closes the door then raises and locks the posts into position next to the drivers door and rear door meaning no one can get into the car even if they have the keys.

Kenny

Last edited:
OP
daveenty

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
Place the car over

This may defeat the object...

Yep, the insurance company only want you to put it in the garage so they can charge you more!! I know this because I had it out with them over 'parked in garage' against 'parked on drive'. Apparently more classics are nicked from locked premises than not. Try PJ for your classic insurance ;)

Mine will be blocked in by an E Class and the above post, so theoretically should be fine. :)

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Of course there is an elephant in the room...that which happened to Developer.

OP
daveenty

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe

Exactly my worry. Just hoping that with all the visible cameras, security lighting and the post thing that they may decide I'm too much of a problem to bother with...

peterws1957

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
sl350 /2004/3.7 and CL65/2009/6.0
I wonder Dave whether removing the badges and putting an older plate on would get the car overlooked by the light fingered. Shame you have to consider this sort of stuff but there you go.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone

Additional door security. Something as simple as a hardened 3/8" link thickness chain set into the wall just inside the door from one side to the other- eyebolt one side and a hook the other; would-be home invaders would have to take the door off at the hinges, or angle-grind sections out of it, to get at the chain.

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
Whilst i am not suggesting anyone not protect their pride and joy, especially such nice ones like that which Dave owns. You have to weigh up the risk vs reward.

Do you:

a - Make it is hard as possible for the would be thieves to steal the car? Thus knowing only the really determined and/or organised stolen to order type thieves will come knocking on your door. The flip side being you are inadvertently, by protecting your pride and joy, asking for people to try and gain entry to your home to get the Key. These sort normally come 'prepared'.

b - Make it 'easier' for the scrotes to steal knowing it's only an inanimate object that is insured and can be replaced, albeit at the expense of some inconvenience and rise in insurance premium for the 'privilege' of some tw@ taking it from you?

The reason I am saying this is that people quite often overlook the ease of access to the property. So whilst the addition of a £150 post (or other such security measure) may make it harder to get the car off the drive. It's not much use if a swift kick with a 'size 10 leather key' will mean your front door is opened!

Just something to think about folks. Don't just protect the car, protect the most valuable assets you have (you and your family) as well.

At least then the only way they are getting your vehicle is by cutting the post down and physically lifting the car onto a flatbed.

Not for a minute suggesting you haven't thought of this Dave. I work with the fuhrer a fair bit and they say this is a common oversight.

OP
daveenty

daveenty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 AMG S Class Coupe
It's a nice area ..... we don't get scotes :rolleyes:

It is a relatively nice area, Emily's dad lives just round the corner (Hi Andrew), but I understand where you're coming from Carl. The house is extremely secure, with allsorts of additions to make access difficult, though if they really want it then they get it.

All I want to do really is make them look elsewhere, as I'm too old to run and can't fight. :(

Basically, I've looked for a visible deterrent and hopefully it will work

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom