Brake Lining Warning

Daeths

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T212 facelift, 2013. A few toys including pan roof, 19" rims, Harmon Kardon, nappa, privacy glass.
Hi all, long time, no post....

Have a 2001 E320 CDI Estate. Brake lining wear indicator message displayed - it must be about that time. However, when I turned engine back on the warning does not show anymore ???

Q1. Does the display only show once, or is it the electrical quirk of my steed (again :D)
Q2. If it is my pad wear inidcator, how many miles can I drive it before I shred the discs - I know it will be dictated by journey type, heavy foot etc.

I do plan to get done asap, just need to book in, which will take at least utnil the end of the week.

Many thx

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
These lights give plenty of warning, so no bother getting another 500 miles or so... I personally think the system fitted to the honda civics is the best.. a bent piece of spring steel that grinds on the edge of the disc when the pad wears down and there is just no way anyone would drive with the noise brilliant..

OP
D

Daeths

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T212 facelift, 2013. A few toys including pan roof, 19" rims, Harmon Kardon, nappa, privacy glass.
Cheers guys, prompt response much appreciated. :D

OP
D

Daeths

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
front and rear discs, pads for both and brake sensors, oil and filter - proper oil. Parts pukka Merc. £380 the lot from my Indie, sound good or not ???

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
Preobably about half of what you would have given to an MB dealer.. so sounds reasonable with OEM parts

philharve

Reaction score
Website
go.to
Your Mercedes
W202 C230K Auto 2000
Brake pad wear indicator

Hi All

On a similar vein ... my brake warning indicator has started to come on when I brake normally. If I brake lightly the indicator stays off. I'm almost certain the front pads have reached the end of the life and will be booking my car in for servicing today.

My inquiry is simply this ... is the brake pad wear and the low hydraulic fluid level (brake reservoir) signals multiplexed together so that either condition will illuminate the brake warning indicator?

My MB manual implies that only the brake pads are monitored by this indicator. Is this correct?

REGARDS

Phil

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Yes the brake pads only come up on the dash,,and the pads need changing,, this is nothing to do with the hydraulics

philharve

Reaction score
Website
go.to
Your Mercedes
W202 C230K Auto 2000
Brake pad wear indicator

Yes the brake pads only come up on the dash,,and the pads need changing,, this is nothing to do with the hydraulics

Thanks, Malcolm.

I took another look at my MB manual and I see that the low hydraulic fluid level (brake reservoir) signal and handbrake signals are the signals that are multiplexed together and share a common (red) indicator*.

As you correctly stated, the front brake pads operate their own (orange) indicator. This is the one that is flashing when I brake. I will visit my indie in a couple hours to arrange a service.

* In my previous car the pads and reservoir signals were multiplexed together. Upon reflection the MB method of signalling a fault is smarter.

REGARDS

Phil

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
The wear indicator is a wire burried in plastic that gets grounded and illuminates the lamp when the sensors plastic wears down allowing the wire to contact the disk.
It will behave erraticaly at first signs of wear, as already said there is still some life in your pads, the worst indication of worn pads is a grinding noise under braking when the pad backing touches the disk.

philharve

Reaction score
Website
go.to
Your Mercedes
W202 C230K Auto 2000
Pad wear indicator

The wear indicator is a wire burried in plastic that gets grounded and illuminates the lamp when the sensors plastic wears down allowing the wire to contact the disk.
It will behave erraticaly at first signs of wear, as already said there is still some life in your pads, the worst indication of worn pads is a grinding noise under braking when the pad backing touches the disk.

Hi wireman

If I understand you correctly, the pad wear indicators have to be replaced along with the pads? They cannot be reused?

'It will behave erratically ...' Yes, this is exactly what I am seeing. My car is booked in for new pads & discs next Tuesday. My indie says I've probably got 500 miles before metal-to-metal contact occurs with 'shreeking' results. I don't expect to exceed 100 miles before next Tuesday, so no worries there.

What I've never really understood is why there aren't pad wear indicators on the rear discs. It seems as though it's left to chance that wear on the rear brake components (discs/pads/not shoes) will be discovered before damage is done. My indie will, I'm sure, check the rear pads/discs and give me an estimate of their life expectancy. No doubt any remedial action will be attended to at the next ASSYSted service interval.

REGARDS

Phil

Top Bottom