Brand new Seat/Skoda/Renault or used Mercedes-Benz

mrmb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C200 CDI Sport Edition 125 2011 / W215 CL600 Bi-Turbo M275 2002
Hello Everyone. I was thinking myself what would be your thought about this topic. I was thinking to buy a new Seat, Skoda, VW, Reanult ona PCP plan but then I was said to myself - I will have a brand new car, I will lose a lot on it as it is only medium range car and I will not be really happy about it. So since few years I am driving used Mercedes and so far these cars did not make much troubles at all. Maintenance cost is not that high either. Probably I am taking way too much mechanical car like changing oil more frequently and all filters once a year plus a proper drive helps to keep my cars running longer without big issues. What would you do? Would you buy a brand new Seat, Skoda, VW, Renault or buy like 3/5 years old Mercedes?

grahamcol

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 SLK230, 2007 CLK220 CDI
Well i used to buy brand new cars (not Mercs) but these days I prefer to buy a used Merc. Buy wisely and it can work out very cost effective. For example I purchased my W202 c280 v6 at 8 years old for £5k. It's now 18 years old, still drives beautifully, has cost very little in repairs/maintenance and I think I'd still get more than £1.5k for it to the right buyer. Similarly I bought a show condition R170 nearly 2 years ago and I don't think it will have depreciated at all, maybe increased in value actually.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Definitely an older MB.

I’d leave PCP well alone, personally I dislike the idea of paying continuously to never realistically end up owning anything.

The OEMs are convinced that ride hailing and EV are the way forwards and that people would rather rent out a ride or multiple rides I’m quite certain that’s a pipe dream outside of certain markets and only partly realistic within them, it’s similar to always renting out a house. There’s only a certain percentage of the population that will wish to do it. The other thing is that PCP is having the direct effect of killing off option choice in new premium car sales.

Anyway. A new medium- premium car vs an MB that’s just about run in? Go for a 212!!

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
I came from buying new Skoda's (Octavia vRS') to buying used approved MB. Although I didn't use PCP's but have done in my younger years.

The problem with the likes of Skoda is the depreciation. If you get one on PCP you will be trapped with the car for at least 2yrs (unless you stick a hefty deposit down) as they plummet in price faster than Flight MH370! As an example my dad bought a used approved Octavia 2.0 Diseasel L&K which was fully loaded. The list price for the car new was £33k. My dad bought it from a Skoda dealer at 8mths old with 6k miles on the clock for £20k!

If you can stomach losing £13k in less than a year & don't mind being in negative equity until around 2yrs or can put down a hefty deposit then go for the new car.

Or if you can see all of the above doesn't make good financial sense then go for a used MB.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Away from the finances which do you want to drive, give an allowance for the pleasure of ownership and the figures narrow dramatically.
We bought the youth a newish 2.0 VW bluemotion and it returns amazing MPG in the late 70's on any reasonable run but is not in any way a pleasure to own a true domestic appliance of a car that would suit a Bosch badge.

Simply put do you want a yawn or a smile of a car.

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
In the old days we used to buy a car at two or three years old so that the biggest hit of depreciation had already been taken. Times change, and now the dealers like to push new cars onto the unsuspecting with monthly figures that look quite palatable to the average joe. Someone has to pay the depreciation, and it looks like it's going to be you. In today's society, who are largely cash poor and debt rich, getting a new car outside the house to impress the neighbours seems to be the raison d'etre. It ain't for me. I've always believed that if you can't afford it, you can't have it!

The pcp lovers will tell you "buy an appreciating asset, rent a depreciating one".

My mantra is "don't listen to the salesman, do your own mathematics"

You choose whatever suits you best, just don't come crying to me when you owe more than it's worth. ;)

OP
M

mrmb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I was calculating that and then I have decided that firstival, I will pay more and lose anyway at the end of it as to get a new car I will have to some more deposit. As you guys said it, I have a huge smile driving any Merc :) my friend, bought a new Seat Azteca with 1.0 TSI. I let him drove my c ar once and he loves it. He said the next car will be a Merc even used one :) I do not have a need that I need to have a brand new car, even now my car is 7 years old, most people like it more than new VW, Skoda etc

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
In the old days we used to buy a car at two or three years old so that the biggest hit of depreciation had already been taken. Times change, and now the dealers like to push new cars onto the unsuspecting with monthly figures that look quite palatable to the average joe. Someone has to pay the depreciation, and it looks like it's going to be you. In today's society, who are largely cash poor and debt rich, getting a new car outside the house to impress the neighbours seems to be the raison d'etre. It ain't for me. I've always believed that if you can't afford it, you can't have it!

The pcp lovers will tell you "buy an appreciating asset, rent a depreciating one".

My mantra is "don't listen to the salesman, do your own mathematics"

You choose whatever suits you best, just don't come crying to me when you owe more than it's worth. ;)
Couldn't say it better,I know a few with new Range Rover Sports on drive, they're on the drive because they can't afford to drive them because the PCP has such restricted mileage on. They're also the bum basic version with zero options because that's all they can afford on the PCP. They're also stuck with them because of huge negative equity.

I've never quite managed to figure out how paying the interest on some else's depreciation is good financial sense?
Me neither, I think I'm a pretty intelligent individual but I've never managed to work out any car finance deal where I don't loose massively.

I used to take a personal loan and buy a nearly new Mercedes and use my monthly car allowance to pay the loan off. The loan was never tied to the car and I also had a better deal than any car dealer could give me. I also wasn't restricted in mileage and as I stuck a personal plate on it you couldn't tell it from new.

I pay cash now and buy older. I don't owe anyone.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
"I've never managed to work out any car finance deal where I don't loose massively"

I would say it appears you have managed to work them out quite well.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
The problem with the likes of Skoda is the depreciation. If you get one on PCP you will be trapped with the car for at least 2yrs (unless you stick a hefty deposit down) as they plummet in price faster than Flight MH370! As an example my dad bought a used approved Octavia 2.0 Diseasel L&K which was fully loaded. The list price for the car new was £33k. My dad bought it from a Skoda dealer at 8mths old with 6k miles on the clock for £20k!

If you can stomach losing £13k in less than a year & don't mind being in negative equity until around 2yrs or can put down a hefty deposit then go for the new car.

This is why I don't buy new cars, the depreciation is terrifying.

400ixl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E250 AMG Sport Convertible
Buy something 2-3 years old, but not limit myself to a Mercedes. Mercedes these days are not better built than most other cars and often way behind on technology, and even more on character. So I would widen the scope on what is important to you in the car you want to drive and look at all brands (unless the badge is of course your major factor in life).

On the depreciation side, you can get cars which are 3-6 months old from dealers for quite a substantial discount, and if you plan to keep it 4-5 years it can work out to be cost effective, especially if it is a brand with a 5 year warranty.

OP
M

mrmb

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Same as me. Restriction in mileage is something that put me off from it. At the end you will end up paying some money for another deposit again and as someone said. Personal loan is not tied to the car and very often works a lot better than a car dealer finance. I I am the type of the person that will stick with Mercedes, I really like these cars + I have some knowledge about them is well :-D So far I did not have much issues with any Mercedes I have owned same as my dad and surprisingly even W215 did not gave us that much trouble apart of ignition coils and voltage transformer :-D I think their quality is better comparing to other makes specially, reliability. Some might ague but in my opinion Mercedes engines so far are a lot more bullet proof than BMW or VW engines.

MalcQV

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLA200
I've always bought older cars. One new car in 1994 and a few three years old. I've recently taken the plunge on a brand new car and am wondering still if it is the right thing to do.
What I will say is I got sick and tired of maintenance on older cars.
To answer the OP's question it is the same answer as I always give; Buy the car that you most like. In this case you have proved you can afford either, so do what makes you happiest.
Mostly with cars it is just a matter of how much you will lose and how big of a gamble you take on that amount.

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
My latest car purchase was a 7 month old BMW 440, saving on official list price was £18k, although no one actually pays official list.

29 months warranty remaining which gives me piece of mind as I was sick of waiting on the next "thing" to go wrong.

Kenny

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
My latest car purchase was a 7 month old BMW 440, saving on official list price was £18k, although no one actually pays official list.

29 months warranty remaining which gives me piece of mind as I was sick of waiting on the next "thing" to go wrong.

Kenny

How do you find the 40 engine? Curious as that’s on my shortlist (well the 340 or 335D both in touring model).

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
I have been looking at new cars on PCP, using a 4.5k deposit, 10k a year mileage, 4 year term.

For 260 a month I can get an Octavia SEL with a 200 bhp petrol DSG.

A C200SE, slower and with much more basic trim costs 400 a month, Executive with similar spec to what I have now is 450 a month.

Octavia might not have the badge cachet but it is the whatcar 2018 car of the year and in SEL trim has all the toys I want.

Jag XE with the 250bhp petrol and Prestige trim is 290 a month. Quicker and much better equipped than a C200SE. Boot is very small though which is a downer for me.

My next car is very unlikely to be a MB. I'm not prepared to pay that much a month.

Why am I looking at PCP? 4 year warranty, and I'll probably do about 30k over those 4 years. So very unlikely to have to change any consumables like brakes. Maybe tyres. Any problems it goes back to the dealer. Add to that Skoda do free rescue and have a very competitive service plan it makes sense. A fixed amount a month for peace of mind.

As I will do under the 10k a year I'll also not need much deposit at the end of the PCP term to get another new one.

Last edited:

KennyN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 440i, Cayenne, ZX12r / ZRX11 / ZRX Monoshock
How do you find the 40 engine? Curious as that’s on my shortlist (well the 340 or 335D both in touring model).

Outstanding , on the way home from Manchester it averaged 48mpg , around town I am getting 28 , for a car with such good performance it is fantastic. The drivetrain is in a different league from the CLS which is only to be expected due to their age difference.

The BM servicing is condition based meaning, in my case , it will only need done every two years saving me a fee quid.

It will be going in in a few weeks for the MPPSK kit which will liven it up a bit, performance and exhaust wise plus being a BM fit it will preserve the warranty.

Kenny

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
Outstanding , on the way home from Manchester it averaged 48mpg , around town I am getting 28 , for a car with such good performance it is fantastic. The drivetrain is in a different league from the CLS which is only to be expected due to their age difference.

The BM servicing is condition based meaning, in my case , it will only need done every two years saving me a fee quid.

It will be going in in a few weeks for the MPPSK kit which will liven it up a bit, performance and exhaust wise plus being a BM fit it will preserve the warranty.

Kenny

What’s the MPPSK kit?

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom