Breakthrough deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I'm very curious to know the detail behind this arrangement.
Someone yesterday described anything acceptable to both sides as a statement of ambiguity where both sides understand something different from the agreement.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Someone yesterday described anything acceptable to both sides as a statement of ambiguity where both sides understand something different from the agreement.

It's political. ^^^ This is both entirely possible, entirely plausible and entirely acceptable to both sides. French observance of EU trade law for example falls under this category (indeed, French observance of ANY law...)

OP
Yugguy

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
It's been interesting watching May walk the tightrope, partly caused by her own catastrophic decision to call an election, between appeasing the hardline screw-em-all Brexiters, the DUP and the closet Remainers, all of which are quite intransigent.

Rather her than me.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
partly caused by her own catastrophic decision to call an election
Ironically if she hadn't called an election she wouldn't have had any issues doing as she pleased with NI as the DUP would have been powerless.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Ironically if she hadn't called an election she wouldn't have had any issues doing as she pleased with NI as the DUP would have been powerless.
Yes, the General Election decision has already been noted as one of the worst political blunders since Olaf the Hairy ordered ten thousand battle helmets with the horns on the inside.

OP
Yugguy

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Exactly.

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
Yes, the General Election decision has already been noted as one of the worst political blunders since Olaf the Hairy ordered ten thousand battle helmets with the horns on the inside.

Or even Gordon Brown's decision not to call one.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
"No specific figures on the Brexit bill"
I'm missing something as I thought that was the real hurdle to jump before the eu would 'permit' trade talks.

Nobody wants a hard border in Ireland, many agree it isn't and never was needed, so just more unnecessary confusion.
ECJ, just a temporary role. So somehow puff and it's pretty much a none issue.
The customs union issue is still up in the air.

It looks to me as though 'we' have come out on top. We get to negotiate the next stage without being tied down to the deal of today. That being if we don't get a trade deal that serves us well enough they sing for their dosh, that I don't agree is due to them anyway.

Besides all the huffing and panting this is too easy, what am I missing?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
"No specific figures on the Brexit bill"
I'm missing something as I thought that was the real hurdle to jump before the eu would 'permit' trade talks.

Nobody wants a hard border in Ireland, many agree it isn't and never was needed, so just more unnecessary confusion.
ECJ, just a temporary role. So somehow puff and it's pretty much a none issue.
The customs union issue is still up in the air.

It looks to me as though 'we' have come out on top. We get to negotiate the next stage without being tied down to the deal of today. That being if we don't get a trade deal that serves us well enough they sing for their dosh, that I don't agree is due to them anyway.

Besides all the huffing and panting this is too easy, what am I missing?

Nothing. Except perhaps that this demonstrates the Euros want our market space as much as we want theirs, and they’re not willing to cut their 27 individual noses off to spite their collective face.

dry run

Reaction score
Website
kb-boatpark.co.uk
Your Mercedes
CLS 350d AMG LIne Premium Plus
I actually think we've put ourselves in quite a good position. We have given them what they want, but to get it, they now have to give us what we want.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Nothing. Except perhaps that this demonstrates the Euros want our market space as much as we want theirs, and they’re not willing to cut their 27 individual noses off to spite their collective face.

So we called their bluff(ish).

They have hung out till the last hour, not yet last minute for the 2nd stage to still be possible, to see how much we would pay. The payment now seems to be the only real concern they ever had, no surprise there as they have over spent on their dreams.

Here is where the whole bluff could and likely will faulter.
They have expectation of many £Billions, we have the upper hand in that we can now hold 'them' to ransom before they get it.

Since I don't believe the status of each sides citizens was ever going to be a problem,
and the ECJ has now become a greatly diminished issue,
Irish border should never have been a serious question as not needed or wanted,
the trade negotiations are the biggy.

Those negotiations will be hard fought, even if just for the eyes of the audiences. I see times when they won't give and we will raise the question of the payment. But in the end both sides want and benefit from, and many lesser affluent members need, good trading.

As I see the situation we are looking good for the future, better than many thought would be at least.
How do the eu now show the rest of the membership that leaving is undesirable?

I must be missing something, Dave?

Last edited:
OP
Yugguy

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Yep, the trade arguments, er I mean discussions, will be the thing.

I predict they will be contentious, down to the wire, we won't hear much out of them til near the end, but ultimately it will be a good one for us.

nicholas15

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s class w221 - 2012 350 Bluetec, SL500 r230 2003

One old EC Brussels concept is a budget "envelope" which is a single figure which to sum is a maximum amount and to others a minimum amount that can be spent. Postpones any disagreement until nobody is looking.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Seriously?
May has had to give in on the divorce payment and the discussions about Ireland - neither of which he wanted to discuss outside of the total agreement. Furthermore not only did she have to give in on both those she also had to agree an open ended divorce bill estimated at £50Bn against her original £10Bn (of course it could and probably will end up being more than £50Bn) and go appease the both the DUP and Irish prime minister in order to get a very vague agreement over Ireland (which the DUP can still block).

I would say the EU got exactly what it wanted and Mrs May was pretty well screwed.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Do you know I remember Boris Johnson being universally criticised for saying go whistle for the £100 Billion estimate of our divorce bill, strange old world.
As we haven't got the numbers or the terms methinks one should hold ones charge before firing off, I am.

As to NI, the most interesting point overlooked by the doom mongers is the deal gives no border between the UK and an EU country.
Should I put that order for blankets and food parcels for us on hold ?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
To me it smacks of a pretty normal expectation from a series of high end negotiations. Both sides came out with just about what they wanted and can tell a good story to their shareholders around what they had to do to get it.

What both sides went IN with is really immaterial, negotiations are all about the outcome.

Parisien

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL320 1996, 1990 C124 300ce, 1989 200TE
As an N I member, it was just a political "dance", seen it many times before, one side objecting or feeling let down until the last waltz when everyone gets something from it, political and economic pragmatism wins in the end...in this instance its win:win but not quite sure where all the movable red lines will end up or if we'll ever truly know.

P

Status
Not open for further replies.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom