Breakthrough deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I sense some real fun to come about a third of the EU fishing catch comes from our territorial waters, that’s a lot of fish, remember the cod wars

Your not supposed to notice that, and the EU and its common fisheries policy is one of the main reasons Norway isn't in the EU as I wrote above, we also had a few problems on entry.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Perhaps we could have a thread to simply post news as it comes, and not opinions, as otherwise it just descends into the same merry-go-round?

The problem with that Yuggy is that when it's not good news (is there any?), you get accused of being negative and/or as above of "cherry picking". Quite how a post containing all the headlines from Reuters for a day is cherry picking is beyond me.
- And none of those postings were "opinions" - they are reported statistics from respected sources.

This one is an opinion - (well, a poll):
More than half of Britons now want to stay in EU - poll
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-b...ons-now-want-to-stay-in-eu-poll-idUKKBN1EA0Q4

Interestingly, this report says "the reason for the change was a shift in opinion among those who did not vote in last year’s referendum, while around nine in 10 “leave” and “remain” voters were unchanged in their views. The survey was carried out from December 5 to 8." - It may be academic but perhaps it explains why the Quitters are so anxious to avoid a second referendum!

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
What seems to be ignored by the media and many others is that the EU concept is (or was as far as the U.K. is concerned) an experiment. Now some experiments work and some don’t and more to the point some will work with a bit of tweaking but unfortunately like communism before it the ring masters, in this case the EU council, are so full of their own importance and dogma that compromise was abandoned in favour of the one size fits all approach.

Why should we be hood winked into loosing our Sovereignty, unable to control our borders and not make our own laws without making a murmour of dissatisfaction the only analogy I can draw in history is what happened between Henry VIII and the Catholic Church, being British and a member of the U.K. is something that I am very proud of, principles of which can be seen all over the world

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
The state of the EU council etc lies directly at the the responsibility of politicians - those who took the gravy and failed to do anything to represent the people. That's one reason why I am so disgusted that we are supposed to trust the arrogant turncoat Theresa May and all the other politicians like Bumbling Boris to get a good "divorce" deal... Since the very beginning I've said she will get what she is given and now it's happening. She will proclaim that she did her best - but we don't even know what she is supposed to be negotiating!

We did not lose our sovereignty - we still have it (just) - although the resident of No10 and her accomplice Davies has done her best to exclude MPs from exercising the sovereignty of parliament! But what we're going to lose, sadly is trade - tons of it and of course cost benefits (3 percent and rising).

Davies of course led MPs to believe that pages and pages of Sector Assessments were carried out then blithely announced that he doesn't believe in assessing so he just does what he wants with impunity.

Still, Bumbling Boris is still bumbling... just proves that empty vassals make most noise :) !

OP
Yugguy

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
[QUOTE="davemercedes, post: 1583743, member: 59422]"is there any?[/QUOTE]

Yes, my very first post that started the thread was good news. One could argue that it was too little, too late, and won't make any difference, or that it is the start of real progress, but these would be opinions. In and of itself it was good news, and all I really wanted to highlight.

The rest of this thread has been the same old format:
"We're screwed."
"We're not screwed."
"Are."
"Not"
"Are"
"Not"

Last edited:

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
The problem with that Yuggy is that when it's not good news (is there any?), you get accused of being negative and/or as above of "cherry picking". Quite how a post containing all the headlines from Reuters for a day is cherry picking is beyond me.
- And none of those postings were "opinions" - they are reported statistics from respected sources.

This one is an opinion - (well, a poll):
More than half of Britons now want to stay in EU - poll
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-b...ons-now-want-to-stay-in-eu-poll-idUKKBN1EA0Q4

Interestingly, this report says "the reason for the change was a shift in opinion among those who did not vote in last year’s referendum, while around nine in 10 “leave” and “remain” voters were unchanged in their views. The survey was carried out from December 5 to 8." - It may be academic but perhaps it explains why the Quitters are so anxious to avoid a second referendum!
The trouble is polls are notoriously wrong. 1400 people responding to a poll is not really a representation of the country.

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Everyone had their chance at last years referendum, now it's done, get over it if you don't like it and stop whining.
To put any credence into a poll of just 1400 people in Edinburgh is laughable. But then if you look for negativity you'll find it.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Another of our tri-moaners has a go at running the UK down with specious cherry picking figures.

People who are regularly fed a diet of doom and gloom don't feel optimistic well "f**k me Sherlock that's a surprise !
I imagine there's quite a few on here who don't engage in this debate because of your unending negativity about our outlook.

Project fear is still up and running and I don't argue for one minute sentiment is affected but the problem for you is we are still in the EU
All the rules and regulations are still the same.

Just on unemployment ;

"There were 32.08 million people in work, 56,000 fewer than for May to July 2017 but 325,000 more than for a year earlier"

Source ONS

There will be many ups and downs in economic data but of course you do miss out the FT index hovering around a high.
Would I rely on it or any other short term surveys to justify my position on Brexit ...not in a million years, surveys and most short term data is for chimps to consume.

Au contraire (the irony) quite a few don't debate because of the level you descend to when replying to those with differing views... remoaners, tri moaners etc. You don't know it but you sound like a student of the DUP style of politics.

Does politics work on a car forum...maybe not. Since you are clearly the only one who knows everything and is right about everything is there actually any point to all of this?

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
It's getting a bit personal now isn't it?
Come on, less of the insults guys before the mods decide that's enough.

It is...and will lead to closure unless there is moderation in language.

M80

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 639 Viano- 651, 5sp Auto. 2009 S211- 646, 5sp Auto.
Au contraire (the irony) quite a few don't debate because of the level you descend to when replying to those with differing views... remoaners, tri moaners etc. You don't know it but you sound like a student of the DUP style of politics.

Does politics work on a car forum...maybe not. Since you are clearly the only one who knows everything and is right about everything is there actually any point to all of this?

I see that the attitudes you speak of work both ways here.
Your comments demonstrate your bias as do others comments, mine included.

When one side of the argument gets shirty you react but ignore when the other side do the same. Insult and personal comments have been from both sides, and you've made some.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
I have never been a fan of having a Politics sub forum on a car forum. I think it can cause division within the members where normally no such divisions would exist. I for one would be happy to see this section disappear.

OP
Yugguy

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
Agreed - it's unnecessary, the site can get along fine without it.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi

When one side of the argument gets shirty you react but ignore when the other side do the same. Insult and personal comments have been from both sides, and you've made some.

Couldn't put it better myself , there is no even moderation of this thread.

I am very happy to be pulled up for my intemperate answers but when I directly ask where my points are wrong, I get no answer.
If I was on the tri-remain side of the debate it appears its open season.
Still I will remain patriotic to the core, support my country, its electorate and the freedoms many have fought and died for.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi

Its difficult when you are subjected to a continual stream of insults not to react. There are some on this forum who seem incapable of posting without a derisory comment or insult. The majority seem to be able to manage to do so and they are never intentionally the object of any insults as a result.
The old phrase of reap what you sow springs to mind.

Naraic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 CL500.
Couldn't put it better myself , there is no even moderation of this thread.

I am very happy to be pulled up for my intemperate answers but when I directly ask where my points are wrong, I get no answer.
If I was on the tri-remain side of the debate it appears its open season.
Still I will remain patriotic to the core, support my country, its electorate and the freedoms many have fought and died for.

But, you say that as if only those who voted for Brexit have those desires. You are wrong.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
But, you say that as if only those who voted for Brexit have those desires. You are wrong.

Might have been better for you to address the rest of the post still,

its a tad trite but those who "have those desires" have an extraordinary way of showing it.

Surely you could think of something positive about Brexit ?

I am more than happy to point out the great strides on say the environmental issues the EU made.

Just try, it might be liberating.

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
Polls are best ignored as they seem to be wrong more than right these days, after all the polls before the referendum gave a remain win by an average of 10 points.

Robin

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

keefysher

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W166 GLE350AMG Line 3.0 2017. BMW Z3 2.8 1998.
Polls, weather forecasts, financial forecasts; all have about the same ability to 'predict' things ;);)

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Yes polls are at best guestimates they are specious in there nature as pollsters tend to ask the questions that gain the answers their clients want.

The quoted BOE poll earlier had just a few thousand people on which to base their nations mood proclamation.
I have rarely done well out of a deal that took these guesstimates as convincing.

All short term figures should be in crisp packets, consumed quickly and excreted asap.

Big Cheese

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML63 2007
Yes polls are at best guestimates they are specious in there nature as pollsters tend to ask the questions that gain the answers their clients want.

The quoted BOE poll earlier had just a few thousand people on which to base their nations mood proclamation.
I have rarely done well out of a deal that took these guesstimates as convincing.

All short term figures should be in crisp packets, consumed quickly and excreted asap.
And where are all these polls conducted?
In London presumably,where the mayor is a avvid remainer,not in the towns around the country that have been disregarded by politicians for years.
As long as they & their cronies who earn big money off them are alright the great unwashed can go themselves.
That,remainers is why you saw the majority vote to get out.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom