Brexit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
They wont manufacture in Japan and export to Europe. more liable to set up in the EU and work from there. But it is more liable they will do a deal with the UK to allow EU specced cars to be sold within the EU.
I'm not sure they do, but if they do, what is wrong with looking forward with positivity and trying to make the best of something.

If you go into something thinking it will be a disaster, it undoubtedly will.

Life is what you make it. People with negative outlooks tend to have negative lives, people with positive outlooks tend to be successful (or at least happy)
Unless you are Theresa Mayhem.. . and now she is negotiating on our behalf, has stumbled, and is thinking, well actually been told to include all parties, then if it goes tits up, she will not held responsible, How much worse can it get.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
The UK food and drink sector is set to boom beyond its current £79bn of sales, driven by opportunities including worldwide export of products
https://realbusiness.co.uk/exports/...ctors-fatten-britains-79bn-food-drink-sector/

This is really terrible news if your a Europhile so Euronews spins it backwards.

http://www.euronews.com/2017/07/03/export-boom-euro-zone-shows-britain-how-its-done

but hidden in the story;

The euro is 17 percent weaker against the U.S. dollar than at the end of 2014.

oh what to do ???

Well now...six months, maybe more ago people told told me "don't worry, currencies go up and down all the time!" So we all carried on subsidizing all those wonderful export companies only for the official results to show that despite the fall in the £ they haven't really done so wonderfully after all: -

Nov 2016: UK trade deficit widens unexpectedly as exports fall despite pound drop (Reuters): The UK trade in goods deficit increased by £1.6bn over the month to £12.7bn. Imports rose £1.3bn to £38.8bn, while exports fell by £200m to £26.1bn. Imports of ships, materials, vehicles and oil were all up in September, the Office for National Statistics said.

The last paragraph of your euronews page is interesting - they blame the fall in exports on UK increasing prices:

While the euro zone’s export price index rose 2.7 percent between the third quarter of last year and the first quarter of 2017, Britain’s increased more than 8 percent
- Some of that I suppose is due to increased cost of raw materials?

triumphstag

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 500 (2002) R230
Well now...six months, maybe more ago people told told me "don't worry, currencies go up and down all the time!" So we all carried on subsidizing all those wonderful export companies only for the official results to show that despite the fall in the £ they haven't really done so wonderfully after all: -

Nov 2016: UK trade deficit widens unexpectedly as exports fall despite pound drop (Reuters): The UK trade in goods deficit increased by £1.6bn over the month to £12.7bn. Imports rose £1.3bn to £38.8bn, while exports fell by £200m to £26.1bn. Imports of ships, materials, vehicles and oil were all up in September, the Office for National Statistics said.

The last paragraph of your euronews page is interesting - they blame the fall in exports on UK increasing prices:

While the euro zone’s export price index rose 2.7 percent between the third quarter of last year and the first quarter of 2017, Britain’s increased more than 8 percent
- Some of that I suppose is due to increased cost of raw materials?
Oh Jesus. You just can't help it can you?

It's positive news, yet you still find a way to moan. I bet if you won the lottery you would complain that you had to pay for the ticket.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
What I find interesting is the UK cannot grow enough food to feed itself but we can export £79billion in food products.
Fascinating.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Oh Jesus. You just can't help it can you?

It's positive news, yet you still find a way to moan. I bet if you won the lottery you would complain that you had to pay for the ticket.
Oh dear, don't you like the truth now then? The numbers I quoted are official from the ONS not a made up number!

And to quote your usual response to me - that "good news" is supposition not fact.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
What I find interesting is the UK cannot grow enough food to feed itself but we can export £79billion in food products.
Fascinating.

Yes. All no doubt down to good government.
- Err... Isn't that the same as what happens with food/products from Zimbabwe?

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Fascinating.

We are also by far the most knowledgeable nation globally in terms of efficient feeding of the population.

I should really run some numbers on this...

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Blimey, Craig...
- Does "we" include all the big supermarkets who throw so much fresh food and veg' away every day?

I won't knock it too much 'cause SWMBO can spot a yellow label from 500 yards :)
- The reduced price item I like best is Stilton - "It just got better so we reduced the price!!

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
I've seen figures of 12% of total food production gets binned... it's a huge amount.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
The media handwringers flip from Brexit bashing to Trump bashing, the correlation must be in the failure to win the intellectual argument.
The suggestion both here and in the US is that the C-E socio economic groups are to blame for the impending disaster that befalls us all.
So the ad hominem or attacks on the person not the argument pervade, a sure sign of exhaustion of intellect.
Yet in both here and the US the lights are still on, Trumps Russia gate appears a damp squib and here despite the best efforts of the mee-dia the Brexit negotiations continue.
The hard brexit soft brexit nonsense has withered and we are attempting to get through Parliament the Repeal Bill or the return of our Courts having supremacy.
A great test of our Parliamentarians loyalties and it will be interesting to hear the arguments against power returning how will the mee-dia play it ?

Just how does a British MP argue against the repatriation of powers to the British Parliament ? times are interesting.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I wonder how much longer the lights will be on in Britain. Probably as long as we can afford to pay the gas bill I guess.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Don't worry fracked gas comes on stream in Lancashire soon, we'll be overrun with the stuff prices though will remain high.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Forgot we have to pay the French too for our Nuclear stuff.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Blimey, Craig...
- Does "we" include all the big supermarkets who throw so much fresh food and veg' away every day?

I won't knock it too much 'cause SWMBO can spot a yellow label from 500 yards :)
- The reduced price item I like best is Stilton - "It just got better so we reduced the price!!

Sorry Dave I misread you.

Yes as a population we are middling inefficient users of food. What I meant was the institutional knowledge we have as a country for how to feed the population. The lessons of diet during the Second War were well learnt and carefully stored away. What I was getting st was, i wouldn't worry too much about food availability.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sorry Dave I misread you.

Yes as a population we are middling inefficient users of food. What I meant was the institutional knowledge we have as a country for how to feed the population. The lessons of diet during the Second War were well learnt and carefully stored away. What I was getting st was, i wouldn't worry too much about food availability.

No worries, Craig. But that will be a very hard lesson for a lot of people to learn - I am always astounded at the performance in the TV program where they (Greg Wallace and ---?) teach people to shop properly and prove by subterfuge that a lot of the Own Brand stuff is as good or better than the overpriced brands they insist are better.

But lots of people have been "trained" to buy more than they need and throw away the withering surplus they should never have bought in the first place! In one episode a family of 3 (i.e.: parents and teenage daughter) spent way over £450 (all food - no boxes of wine/spirits etc) and halfway round the shop, the wife said she was going to have to do a "top-up shop" in the middle of the week!

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Forgot we have to pay the French too for our Nuclear stuff.

Yes... the light bill will come from the electric system created by EDF in conjunction with their Chinese partners, using the new super duper nuclear plant at Hinkley Point.

EDF have already announced in March that the build price has gone up by £1.5Bn (to £19.6bn). The National Audit Office (NAO), said the government had “locked consumers into a risky and expensive project with uncertain strategic and economic benefits” and that the economic case for the project was “marginal”.

Being highly cynical by nature, I estimate this "money saving and efficient" service will result in costs to the "Just About Managing" population of around 250% of the current price within two years of it being installed and implemented (if it's ever completed) so if it does get finished on schedule, c.2027 is the time when the prices will start to increase!

The EDF report also said further costs could be incurred if the UK withdraws from the Euratom nuclear treaty when it leaves the EU (and after all a bad deal is better than no deal isn't it?) According to the NAO, the UK could have to pay compensation to EDF or raise the guaranteed power price it has already negotiated, which at £92.50/MWh is higher than the current market price. (Yes, but we're all in this together, huh)?

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
This goes to a wider problem with our membership of the EU and the effect on our leaving.
The UK is the biggest spender in the EU on Government procurement across the member states, more than meeting the requirements of the various treaties we have entered into.
The British have an adherence to agreement mentality that is not shared across the EU which is one of the reasons why London reigns supreme in the financial sector.
Leaving the EU gives us a chance to take more selfish reasons into consideration when awarding public contracts.
The EDF deal is a mistake and is tying us to some very expensive electricity.
I think Trump would tell them to rethink their numbers, we should too.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No worries, Craig. But that will be a very hard lesson for a lot of people to learn - I am always astounded at the performance in the TV program where they (Greg Wallace and ---?) teach people to shop properly and prove by subterfuge that a lot of the Own Brand stuff is as good or better than the overpriced brands they insist are better.

But lots of people have been "trained" to buy more than they need and throw away the withering surplus they should never have bought in the first place! In one episode a family of 3 (i.e.: parents and teenage daughter) spent way over £450 (all food - no boxes of wine/spirits etc) and halfway round the shop, the wife said she was going to have to do a "top-up shop" in the middle of the week!

I watch that too. It's eye-opening.

I think you mean "Greg Wallace and that fit lass" ;)

Jamie Oliver did another series which I thought excellent- how to cook (and, more to the point, change one's mindset about food) to massively reduce costs. They went to a very great degree of detail in establishing costs for meals, taking into account fuel/ electric costs for cooking meat "lower and slower" etc. The reception from the press? "Makes food more expensive" was a good way to sum it up. No, buying a big joint of meat to do a week's worth of dinners and investing in a freezer isn't more expensive, it's more efficient in the medium term but with higher up front costs... ah well.

It really does grip my s**t when I see the amount of food we waste- and as a family our monthly grocery bill is around £400.

I detest waste...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom