Brexit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
And I have a begging bowl a Jack Russell and a certain Ms Merkels phone number.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Welcome to Brexit. So far spent an hour queueing at passport control in Portsmouth ferry terminal coming back from France. We used to clear passport control in under 15 minutes....

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Isnt this due to increased security and not Brexit?
Perhaps in part but with Brexit it certainly won't get any better. The government is putting in new processes in preparation for Brexit and its phasing them in. If it were purely security surely they would be implemented en bloc?

geraldrobins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2011/200cdi
Perhaps in part but with Brexit it certainly won't get any better. The government is putting in new processes in preparation for Brexit and its phasing them in. If it were purely security surely they would be implemented en bloc?

I really can't comment but agree that Brexit won't improve things.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Isnt this due to increased security and not Brexit?
Yes its happening in many places, down to increased terrorist activity and that (well not yet anyway) has not been attributed to the leave vote.

Some more encouraging news on the economy from a group of economists predicting a huge boost, £135 billion, with a so called hard brexit but as we all know economists are like fortune tellers.
Neither side of the vote should hang too much on their findings.
The old adage "follow the money" seems a better bet.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone

I know that going from one EU country to another by air recently, increased security was in evidence at both ends. As were flight delays due to French ATC strikes ;)

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Yes its happening in many places, down to increased terrorist activity and that (well not yet anyway) has not been attributed to the leave vote.

Some more encouraging news on the economy from a group of economists predicting a huge boost, £135 billion, with a so called hard brexit but as we all know economists are like fortune tellers.
Neither side of the vote should hang too much on their findings.
The old adage "follow the money" seems a better bet.

The "experts" you mention apparently have part time jobs signwriting red buses and forecasting general election results. They told Mayhem and her self-indulgent cronies they would get a landslide! The £135Bn "boost" report on the Beeb ended with: "Campaigners against a hard Brexit said the plan amounts to "economic suicide" (as if Brexit itself isn't suicidal enough!).

As you say "follow the money" is usually a good bet - my regular currency update today says 'Pound Weakens Across the Board' (yes, yet again!).

It goes on to describe
  • Pound Sterling Close to 8-Month Low
  • Pound to Euro Exchange Rate Strikes 10-Month Low
  • Pound to US Dollar Exchange Rate Touches 5-Week Low
  • Pound to Canadian Dollar Exchange Strikes January Low
  • Pound to Australian Dollar Exchange Rate Sinks to 5-Month Low
  • Pound to New Zealand Dollar Exchange Rate Sheds -80 Pips

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
We've just flown to menorca from East Midlands. Nothing much has changed security-wise apart from the cool TARDIS type scanner they now have.

One thing did strike me tho, as we went through the EU citizens lane, that we wouldn't be doing that much longer.

Which was good, cos it was busy where the none EU lane was quiet.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
We've just flown to menorca from East Midlands. Nothing much has changed security-wise apart from the cool TARDIS type scanner they now have.

One thing did strike me tho, as we went through the EU citizens lane, that we wouldn't be doing that much longer.

Which was good, cos it was busy where the none EU lane was quiet.

Keep out of my lane!!! ;)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I see the pound doing well.....(not).
17% down on 12 months ago against the Euro (and that's not including the big slide on the referendum result).

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I see the pound doing well.....(not).
17% down on 12 months ago against the Euro (and that's not including the big slide on the referendum result).

Yup, it's going really great... :(

Not only do we have to subsidise export companies (who failed to achieve the benefits they expected!) but all the (increased number of) tourists coming over are benefitting from the cheap pound as well!

Any minute now, someone else will tell us that "currencies go up and down all the time..."
- (Not) funny how the pound's been down and stayed down thought - ever since the rest of the world saw the Brexit vote result.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
...This morning I see that the Pound to Euro Exchange Rate has sunk (again!) to an 8-Year Low
- Apparently Eurozone Manufacturing Impresses the currency markets.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
...This morning I see that the Pound to Euro Exchange Rate has sunk (again!) to an 8-Year Low
- Apparently Eurozone Manufacturing Impresses the currency markets.
But apparently its good to be in control... (mind you those who wanted to take control have fallen asleep!).

MalcQV

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes CLA200
I work for a manufacturing company. We export too. We are doing exceptionally well. Our head office is in the US as we are an American company.
We are also getting heavy investment to boost our manufacturing capability. The exports are up due to the low £ but the investment is because we are very, very good at what we manufacture.
I'm looking to a bright future for now. Who knows what is around the corner though.
Chin-up though and I am a glass half-full chap :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom