1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brexit

Discussion in 'Politics' started by prwales, Feb 19, 2016.

1. SL55 Mark

SL55 Mark Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2004 SL55 AMG
    Well, now Boris has delclared for the "out" campaign (what there is of it), that's me "in" then. I suspect he has made millions of people's decisions for them.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  2. Naraic

Naraic Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    2005 CL500.
    A cunning ploy by Dave and his mate?

3. PovertySpec

PovertySpec Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    E220 CDi 07/57
    Well, you would say that, wouldn't you? :D

Any foreign national faces the same problems when they travel or move to another country.

We almost moved to Netherlands and/or Germany. As a dual UK EU citizen you'd think it was easy.

Not so. We faced probably more issues than a Kiwi would moving to the UK including registering as an "alien"

4. Frontstep

Frontstep Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    T210 320cdi
    "UK border control is still amongst the tightest there is (aside from US/Aus) - trust me - I get to deal with them on a regular basis as I travel on an NZ passport. Even though I have Right to Abode (enabling me to use EU passport channels in and out of the UK) I am questioned at length as to why I have Right to Abode on about 1 in every 3 trips, and I'm not even from one of the 'risk' groups ethnically. I dread to think what anyone of middle eastern extraction goes through every time they go in or out of the UK. "

I do hope that's a joke because there are 300,000 a year that we know of waltzing through it laughing their heads off.
    They can be just about anyone wanting to do anything.

5. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    '93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe
    Whether we were going to buy a house in France or not my view would still be the same. I really don't see how the UK can possibly be better off though becoming isolated.

6. OP
    prwales

prwales Banned

Your Mercedes:
    ge300, w124 300e, various VW's
    If you have Irish antecedents, and most of us have why not try them 1st, lots of reasons in favour, political neutrality, not having a monarchy amongst the obvious ones and of course its less money

7. PovertySpec

Your Mercedes:
    E220 CDi 07/57
    We wouldn't be 'isolated' :rolleyes:

IF we get an out, IF, then everything will remain the same apart from the EU having a big flounce.

Some rules will need to be adapted, regulatory, trading etc. but if you think the shutters would go down and everything would grind to a halt whilst everyone figured out what to do next, you're mistaken.

There'll be a lot of this fear driven what-if-ism over the next few months :(

8. Craiglxviii

Craiglxviii Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W215 CL500 Garage Queen; W212 E220 AMG Night Edition; W211 E320 Avantgarde Estate Designo Edition
    What does not having a monarchy have to do with a decision on where to live...?

9. Frontstep

Frontstep Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    T210 320cdi
    These scare stories are reminiscent and as vacuous as the millennium bug scare, on June 24th whichever way we vote the world will not end.

As the country witters back and forth the unelected EU bureaucrats are negotiating in private away many of the things we take for granted with America.
    The risk is staying in as Europe implodes, fudged entry requirements, a tottering Euro and millions at its doors after reckless invitations from Angela Merkel et al.

Safe with the ECJ stopping us getting rid of terrorist cheer leaders ?

10. MALCOLM JOHNSON

MALCOLM JOHNSON Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    R230 (M273) & W221 S350 bluetec
    funny a few weeks back i had this discussion with my parents and the in laws all four voted to stay in 1975. now all four are voting out.
    I asked why.
    They said at the time it was purely a trade item "common Market" not mission creep as what has happened now.

Then there was a little rant on the EU expansionism federal states of Europe etc,etc same as USSR mentality etc,etc

11. OP
    prwales

prwales Banned

Your Mercedes:
    ge300, w124 300e, various VW's
    we are not a fully grown up nation nor a democracy when we have a head of state who is there due to an accident of birth

12. PovertySpec

Your Mercedes:
    E220 CDi 07/57
    We are not fully grown up if we give a fig about a ceremonial head of state who is there due to lineage of birth.

I quite like the pomp and circumstance surrounding it, nobody does it better and the costumes are fabulous!

13. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Scottish not Irish.
    Not a drop of Irish here.

14. LostKiwi

LostKiwi Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    Not a joke at all. Totally serious and my personal experience.
    The 300,000 you mention are EU citizens so have rights under the EU. In my experience they tend to be hard working and conscientious and more than a few employers rate them highly.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2016
  15. Frontstep

Frontstep Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    T210 320cdi
    I feel quite grown up and don't worry about a ceremonial head of state and their theoretical legitimacy.

Although come back when or maybe if C&C get themselves on their thrones, I may turn :)

16. SL55 Mark

SL55 Mark Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2004 SL55 AMG
    Cameron's played a blinder, as Alan Johnson said yesterday, the Cabinet rebels are hardly the brightest stars in the political firmament, (IDS, Gove, and now wait for it ... Boris)

I hear there are over 100 Tory MPs supporting Brexit, so Dave'll have his work cut out to keep that lot in line. Looks like the Tory party is set to fall apart over Europe as it did in the 1990s. Still look on the bright side, we've got four months of this chaos to look forward to while the government of the country is put on hold, and no-one can make a sensible decision.

17. turbopete

turbopete Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    2010 '60' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi Zetec (sorry)
    will we notice the difference? ;);)

18. jonthetourist

jonthetourist Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    1991 SL300-24
    When we were out, we were desperate to get in!

19. Oarsman

Oarsman Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W221 S350L CDI Bluetec & Range Rover Vogue SE 4.4 TDI
    That was for entry to the Common Market for trading. Absolutely nothing to do with allowing rule from Brussels, which is the prime concern of the EU.

20. Craiglxviii

Craiglxviii Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W215 CL500 Garage Queen; W212 E220 AMG Night Edition; W211 E320 Avantgarde Estate Designo Edition
    Sorry Prwales, but I call it that you're talking bollocks.

The Monarch has an important position that is not often seen in governments nowadays- and I'm especially looking at those with shared heads of State & Government, such as the US. The Monarch holds the power to decide whether or not a Government is fit to be formed. This in turn affects everything from the power of the rule of law, to the legitimacy of the government to govern.

Whether her Maj is there through "accident of birth" or not is, in this case, immaterial to the system of government that we have. However, as it stands, this is a lady who has been in her position for 60 odd years; do not underestimate either her or the Monarchy as a whole for what it does.

Besides which, without her we wouldn't get the pomp. And that, to an ex squaddy, is just ace. I love parades.