1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bridgestone sidewall cracking

Discussion in 'Bodywork, Tyres, Wheels & Trim' started by Jkh112, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Jkh112

Jkh112 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    E350 Bluetec estate
    A while ago I noticed cracking around the edges of the rear tyres on my 212 estate.
    The tyres are the original Bridgestone potenza re050a and are 4 years old covering 20k miles.
    The cracks run around the circumference on the shoulder where the tread meets the sidewall.
    Today I took the car in to have a slow puncture fixed and two tyre places refused to fix the puncture due to these cracks.
    I have had a pair of new tyres fitted but am wondering what caused the cracks.
    The front tyres show no signs of cracking so why the rears? Is this common on these tyres/cars?

2. Flyinspanner

Flyinspanner Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    CL500 -W215, A140-W168
    Always check the manufacture date on tyres, even if they are “new” they may have been in storage for years!

It’s a little lozenge with a 4 digit number, ie 1418 would be made in the 14th week of 2018.

bembo449 likes this.
  3. OP
    Jkh112

Jkh112 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    E350 Bluetec estate
    The tyre place checked the date, the tyres are only just over 4years old.

4. drmw

drmw Moderator

Your Mercedes:
    SL63 AMG, prior to that A-M V8 Vantage, SL55, SL500 and many more
    So were mine - according to Bridgestone "the first time" - yea, sure.

It's not a uncommon fault. Mine blew out at quite a speed which is fortunate as at a slower it would have been difficult to say the least.

bembo449 likes this.
  5. OP
    Jkh112

Jkh112 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    E350 Bluetec estate
    Fortunate to blow out at speed! Did you mean to write that?

6. DREAMER NO2

DREAMER NO2 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W124 2.6E M103
    Jkh The problem is the sun , it will remove the flexibility from the rubber over time .And the rear tires need to be supple to flex as they move over rough roads more so than the fronts . The signs you have are common to hard rubber on the side walls .
    To keep your tires in tip top condition you need to spray them with a silicon spray . Or a rubber treatment and conditioner .My car sits in the sun all day .I use silicon to keep the rubber from going hard .The other thing i use is the cloth type covers that the spray shop use to cover the wheels as they spray the body. And you can find them on ebay . They have a steel wire going through them so easy to fit ==== Dont over do the tires with silicon ,it will get on to the brake disc and calipers .

7. OP
    Jkh112

Jkh112 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    E350 Bluetec estate
    I am not so sure it purely down to UV from the sun. The front tyres show no signs of cracking whilst the rears only had cracking in a circumferential ring right on the shoulder.
    I have had tyres of older age on other cars with no such issues.
    One of the tyres places said it looked like a manufacturing fault with tyres whilst the other place talked about overloading the car.
    Either way it doesn’t matter as I won’t be taking it any further and won’t be fitting Bridgestone tyres again just interested to see if it was common on these cars.

8. DREAMER NO2

DREAMER NO2 Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    W124 2.6E M103
    Like everything now they get poor in quality as years go by . Soon they will be on the mot on how old they are .Over 2 years and it will be changing time

Jkh112 and rifiki like this.