Building Cladding

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 '63 E350 coupe amg sport
Average flat in Kensington area is around £1.25million. Modest 3 bed house around £3million, roughly - £1m/bed + extra for 2nd bathroom etc.
Oh and you need a residents parking permit if you can afford to run a car - linked to emissions, average about £120/yr + congestion charges etc etc (a parking meter is around £4/hr if you need to pop to the shops!).

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Quite a lot has been distributed but I would imagine most involved were suprised at the amounts raised.
The problem I suppose is where it is you can spend £20 million on one property and they could need quite a few.

The money was given to charity by the well meaning public for the benefit of the victims of the Grenfell disaster - certainly not for the building. And sorry, I don't consider less than 15 percent of the funds received distributed as "quite a lot" more like "quite a little". No doubt there are committees of well rewarded conscientious people sitting on it!

But one or two people here, said it would end up like this as soon as the whole sorry scandal hit the media.

OP
F

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
No you misread unfortunately, I didn't say spend the money on the/one building I said about the problem being where it is and that you could spend £20 million on one property (reminds me of that oft misquoted red bus again)

The amount spent so far is quite a sum and I don't know of anyone on the holding bodies earning off it, if you do report it and the news media would love the story.

The problem is that property in that area is extremely expensive and understandably they want to stay in that district.
Many are faced with deciding their futures with sums of money they have no experience of.
Dividing it up and dishing it all out would create many problems.

Some of the issues are in this article I read http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...nations-money-survivors-victims-a7887346.html

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
No you misread unfortunately, I didn't say spend the money on the/one building I said about the problem being where it is and that you could spend £20 million on one property (reminds me of that oft misquoted red bus again)

The amount spent so far is quite a sum and I don't know of anyone on the holding bodies earning off it, if you do report it and the news media would love the story.

The problem is that property in that area is extremely expensive and understandably they want to stay in that district.
Many are faced with deciding their futures with sums of money they have no experience of.
Dividing it up and dishing it all out would create many problems.

Some of the issues are in this article I read http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...nations-money-survivors-victims-a7887346.html

- Dividing it up and dishing it all out would create many problems.
- So let's keep it in the bank that the victims can't access eh?

We are going out so I could only skip read that report... But I believe it further illustrates the state if our society... I always found it a joke that when Joe Citizen won a few million pounds on the pools/lottery etc they used to be offered lots of FREE (genuine) financial advice. I agree that a lot of these people would struggle to deal with sudden financial benefits but the charities themselves should be providing the level of advice needed. I repeat my original point - Mr and Mrs Public chipped in with the usual British generosity to help these people - not to put money in a bank!

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
I repeat my original point - Mr and Mrs Public chipped in with the usual British generosity to help these people - not to put money in a bank!

Well sometimes things don't always go to plan and as this was a one off first of its kind nobody knew what was needed and how successful it might be. So now the money has to sit in a bank and it has to be worked out what to do with it. Budgets, projects, ideas, policies are just that and nobody really knows the future nor the consequences, and this is an example of this.

With hindsight it's very easy to see what the problems are and have the right solutions, but we don't have hindsight so I don't understand what the point is in writing all these why oh why oh why oh why oh why posts because life, society, charity the government, buildings, etc etc aren't perfect and not everything runs with clockwork predictablity.

TBH when I want to help I know charity isn't perfect so I always give my time instead of money so that I can see the benefit of my actions is actually helping people.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Well sometimes things don't always go to plan and as this was a one off first of its kind nobody knew what was needed and how successful it might be. So now the money has to sit in a bank and it has to be worked out what to do with it. Budgets, projects, ideas, policies are just that and nobody really knows the future nor the consequences, and this is an example of this.

With hindsight it's very easy to see what the problems are and have the right solutions, but we don't have hindsight so I don't understand what the point is in writing all these why oh why oh why oh why oh why posts because life, society, charity the government, buildings, etc etc aren't perfect and not everything runs with clockwork predictablity.

TBH when I want to help I know charity isn't perfect so I always give my time instead of money so that I can see the benefit of my actions is actually helping people.

Your action of giving your time is very noble (genuinely) but many of us can't do much in that way - personally, I don't think I have much to offer in terms of time from 80-odd miles away etc. But the fact remains that in August, the nsum collected added up to £18.9M and just £2.8M had been distributed to the victims. Unfortunately this is not exclusive to the Glenfell incident and I do wonder how many people are put off contributing to genuinely worthy causes such as this when they see what happens with their money.

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Your action of giving your time is very noble (genuinely) but many of us can't do much in that way - personally, I don't think I have much to offer in terms of time from 80-odd miles away etc. But the fact remains that in August, the nsum collected added up to £18.9M and just £2.8M had been distributed to the victims. Unfortunately this is not exclusive to the Glenfell incident and I do wonder how many people are put off contributing to genuinely worthy causes such as this when they see what happens with their money.

I didn't give my time to this (would be even harder from Spain), I mean I do volunteering for a few months every 3 years locally and find it more rewarding and more direct than these appeals. Giving money to charity/appeals through social media seems to be typical of the sort of globalised commercial world we live in, I just think charities should be more local and have the local community involved/help out when needed.

The Grenfell victims needed above all hospitality and kindness and housed in spare rooms by the local community and organisation and stuff that could only really be given by people on the ground. As the government has (rightly) taken charge of it there was probably no real need for 99% of the 3m being spent and certainly nothing for the 16m remaining. Not really the organisers fault though, it couldn't be foreseen that they would receive so much. In fact apart from long term things like medical research, buying big capital assets/infrastructure to mount operations, I'd imagine most local charities need more volunteered help than money.

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Anyone know with any confidence whether there may be an insurance liability?

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Anyone know with any confidence whether there may bei an insurance liability?[/QUOTE
I looked around and couldn't find a statement about it - but I suspect the council indemnify themselves the same way as for example London Transport indemnify themselves and deal with all claims involving their vehicles directly under the. Road Traffic Act. It works out dramatically cheaper for these huge organisations. I think the GLC used to do the same - I'm not sure if the same applies for public liability on buildings etc

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
im still a little annoyed that the person who set fire to the tower seems to have got away scot free , wouldn't have been a fire if this ***** hadn't set fire to his dwelling

OP
F

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I thought it was a Hotpoint Fridge Freezer.

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I thought it was a Hotpoint Fridge Freezer.
Yep, that was my understanding, ironically one of the brands that where involved in a big recall of tumble driers that caught fire, in the last few years.

OP
F

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Thats a bigger scandal than the fire in many ways, millions of dangerous appliances are in peoples homes years after they were found faulty yet they seem to have escaped (so far)
Mind you we mostly have MB cars with failing brakes, rust, chains going etc oh and more rust.

geraldrobins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2011/200cdi
I suppose the problem is notifying owners if a potential fault is likely. I know people who were told not to use their tumble dryers until the manufacturers engineer had checked it etc. However not everyone registers their appliances, people move home, buy second hand appliances etc, so its almost impossible for manufacturers to track them all down.

L John

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 C350 Petrol Elegance
The original fire was around the fridge but that doesn't mean it was the fridge that started the fire.
Still under investigation last I heard.

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I suppose the problem is notifying owners if a potential fault is likely. I know people who were told not to use their tumble dryers until the manufacturers engineer had checked it etc. However not everyone registers their appliances, people move home, buy second hand appliances etc, so its almost impossible for manufacturers to track them all down.
You’re right of course, I had one of the recalled driers, and fortunately identified it myself from press announcements - result: Hotpoint replaced the drier for a new machine - I took the option to upgrade to a sensor equipped device (automatic stop when dry). Cost £100. Could have had a base model for £0.
I worry there may be thousands living with potential fire hazards in their homes.

OP
F

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
Investigators confirmed that the deadly Grenfell Tower blaze started in a Hotpoint fridge freezer - model number FF175BP.

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom