Built-in Dash Cams

dry run

Reaction score
Website
kb-boatpark.co.uk
Your Mercedes
CLS 350d AMG LIne Premium Plus
Just wondering why car manufacturers aren't offering built-in dash cams as standard or at least an option? They are cheap and would surely have positive insurance implications. Seems you can get reversing cameras, even 360 degree camenras and all sorts of other tech (4G wi-fi, etc).

So what am I missing?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
These things take a while to filter in to manufacturing options after they hit the aftermarket.
Look at Sat Navs for example - took ages for them to hit the mainstream options lists even after they were widely available on the aftermarket.

OP
dry run

dry run

Reaction score
Website
kb-boatpark.co.uk
Your Mercedes
CLS 350d AMG LIne Premium Plus
Yes, I get that LK, but these things are already pretty mainstream and you can get one for like £100. Plus, many cars already have reversing cameras so the lens is already present in the rear at least. I don't have one but would like one - just refuse to have loose dangling wires and suction cups messing up my interior - Maybe just me?

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
..... - just refuse to have loose dangling wires and suction cups messing up my interior - Maybe just me?

The installation can be as neat or as messy as you want. I have a cheap DDpai camera in my Smart, it's stuck permanently behind my rear view mirror with it's associated wiring tucked up out of sight (apart from about an inch ). Wi-Fi connection means it never has to be removed from the car to retrieve any video.

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Simple... customers aren't telling the manufacturers that they want them. Might sound odd but it's that simple. It wouldn't be difficult to fit because reversing cameras and TSR cameras can all do the same job, it's just a matter of tying it together with a hard drive. But, as yet, customers in the feedback clinics aren't asking for dashcam functionality.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
They are nowhere as mainstream as phones (and we only just got bluetooth as a default option in cars) nor as widespread as Sat Nav was before we started seeing that.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
Yes, I get that LK, but these things are already pretty mainstream and you can get one for like £100. Plus, many cars already have reversing cameras so the lens is already present in the rear at least. I don't have one but would like one - just refuse to have loose dangling wires and suction cups messing up my interior - Maybe just me?
you can get these built into a replacement rear view mirrors and just swap the whole thing out ,so long as yr existing mirror fit is not to complicated , there is a firm in chippenhan wilts selling these with gps built into the mirror as well !!!!!! i posted the company name a while back ,cant remember it now .

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
you can get these built into a replacement rear view mirrors and just swap the whole thing out ,so long as yr existing mirror fit is not to complicated , there is a firm in chippenhan wilts selling these with gps built into the mirror as well !!!!!! i posted the company name a while back ,cant remember it now .

Those actually come from a completely different direction, all thanks to the prevalence in the US of pickup trucks with massive blind spots while reversing. Enough kids got ran over playing in their own driveways by mum or dad for the Federal gubmint to create legislation requiring there to be available a reversing camera looking below the level of the tailgate. For some reason Americans like to reverse whilst looking in their mirrors, so the display for that camera was set into the interior mirror.

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
I'd MUCH prefer a front and rear integrated dash cam than all this IMO pointless tat like blind-spot beeps and lane guidance beeps and all the other shite I don't need as I have eyes.

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
now confussed... was under the impression a tidy built in looking dash cam was wots required ,hence my reply .i went to look about 2 yr ago ,it was tidy enough,however there was some question about the fit as my mirror is more than a clip in fit ,if i get time i may go look again .

Top Bottom