Built in Sat Nav updates.

Richferrari1969

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E class
Hi all,

Could anyone please give me a heads up on the best (cheapest) way to update the built in satnav on my 2014 E Class please. Also how do I get the live traffic subscription.

Any advice gratefully received.

many Thanks

Rich

Cleck

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
EQC 400
Hi all,

Could anyone please give me a heads up on the best (cheapest) way to update the built in satnav on my 2014 E Class please. Also how do I get the live traffic subscription.

Any advice gratefully received.

many Thanks

Rich

I bought the update DVD's for my 2011 E Class with Audio 50 from Grangemouth MB. £99.

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
Your car should have had 3 years free updates from new, so if you bought from an MB dealer and the car had been serviced from new by MB, and has not got the latest maps, go back to the dealer and complain!

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Your car should have had 3 years free updates from new, so if you bought from an MB dealer and the car had been serviced from new by MB, and has not got the latest maps, go back to the dealer and complain!

Be out of warranty by now

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Maybe only just....might be a December 30th registered car...;)

Chrishazle

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 2008 C220CDI Elegance Estate Auto, 2008 R171 Facelift SLK280
My point was more to check that MB had met their 3 year free map update responsibility - it's not unknown for map update to get "overlooked" by main dealers unless the car owner is clued up enough to check, insist and double check!!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Correct! They won’t do it unless you ask that’s for sure

Andy.M

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 GLA250 Premium Plus, Night, AMG Exclusive Leather, Driving Assistance Packs COMAND DAB HK Audio
For me thats what's so disappointing about dealers. You buy an "approved" used Mercedes and they cant be arsed making sure the car is up to date in every way. I assume they get paid to update your nav as it takes 3 hours or so?

Hence the reason so many mercs have out of date navs (mine included). As its a pita for me (well my wife) to get to a dealer (we use an indie for servicing we can walk to), theres no way she's going to take a half a day off work to get the nav updated!!

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
if its a current style hardrive based set up, I believe the ONLY way to update is via xentry connect at a main dealer (or other major player like surrey based commandonline) and its around 300 quid unless u sort during the free period (that should see you ok till its 5 years old)... so a half day is well worth doing in the last week of the 3 year update period (and nag about DAB updates and see if they sort than when you book the job)

live traffic is dependant upon a secondary expensive optional extra giving the car a connection to the outside world but I don't think it was about in 2011 - comand online (which I believe again runs out and needs a big money subscription)

Mr Filipov

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 BMW 535d Gran Turismo
Go to dealer. As counter intuitive as it sounds, they will be the best price. When I did mine back in Feb (NTG 4.5, yours is 4.7) main dealer wuoted £110 inc VAT.

If you go down the path of getting a disc and getting a pin from main dealer it will cost more. Only a main dealer can supply the pin as well.

At least that is how the update works on mine which is the full fat COMAND.

fabes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E400 Coupe
MB Southampton quoted me £350 for mine!
They are useless though.....

I will popping up the M3 to see command on line once I have got (and paid for) Christmas out of the way

I did investigate eBay, but the modest saving over CoL isn't worth it imho

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
I confess I find the built in sat navs useless .. nowhere near as good as what you get free on your mobile phone albeit you may have some data costs to use it. Waze to me is the best and always up to date ... and more clever than the built in one when it comes to diverting round jams ... but getting back on topic these are just ridiculous costs to update your sat nav on these cars... has to be a better solution..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

sonic

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350CDI, SLC250d, FJR 1300
I have a T
I confess I find the built in sat navs useless .. nowhere near as good as what you get free on your mobile phone albeit you may have some data costs to use it. Waze to me is the best and always up to date ... and more clever than the built in one when it comes to diverting round jams ... but getting back on topic these are just ridiculous costs to update your sat nav on these cars... has to be a better solution..

I have a TomTom with live traffic, but I also find Waze very good & its free.

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
I use Waze in the car and Scenic on the motorbike. Both brilliant and light years ahead of the built in crap from Mercedes.

sl7023

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320cdi with Brabus D6-111 Chip
Fortunate enough to have Android Auto as standard on my CLS. Really love it and much prefer Google Maps to Mercedes' own Sat Nav. Google Maps not only provides pretty accurate live traffic updates (and corresponding alternative routes) but is also uncannily accurate with its' ETA.

Mirroring your phone has to be the way forward....

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Andy.M

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 GLA250 Premium Plus, Night, AMG Exclusive Leather, Driving Assistance Packs COMAND DAB HK Audio
What really takes the biscuit is you can buy a Garmin with digital traffic and get free updates 3 or 4 times a year for the life of the product. How the f!!k Mercedes and most other manufacturers think they can charge these amounts for this service is incomprensable.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500

anyone got an idea of said data usage? if one did a 45 mile trip twice a day always using it for the traffic do we need a mortgage to pay for the data or ?

waze can not store maps its only ever streaming it. which is madness,

on goole maps u can after a fight put the mapping on the sd card fill it up as much as u want and run like a proper sat nav anywhere in the woprld without a connection - or with live traffic for tiny data usage in own country... (other than giving away personal life history and all your contacts - every 30 days or so it needs wireless to refresh the maps... or should I say to allow them to spy on personal life) a quarter of UK is about 1.5 gig of mapping

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
I don’t think the built in Satnav is as bad as made out.

Having owned several TomTom units I much prefer the built in one.

I’m not saying built in is as good but mine thus far has performed really well and the TomTom traffic seems pretty accurate.

The prices as quoted for map updates are too high but Mercedesare not alone my neighbour has a Toyota and the price he was quoted for map update was silly.

Plus they look neater and are less distracting.

Mercedes as far as I’m aware don’t make the data so it will likely be from one of the main players anyway.

Robin

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom