Bulb Failure indicator lamp constantly ON

murad

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I have searched this forum but could not locate an answer to my problem, so please do forgive me if the same problem has been discussed previously.
I have MB E220 1995 and the (BFIL) Bulb Failure indicator lamp in the dashboard is constantly ON.

This problem happened when one of my head lights burnt out, and even though I replaced it, the BFIL is still staying on every time I turn my headlights on.

I have checked all other exterior lights and they all working fine.

The mechanic in my local MOT center suggested that I should have a diagnostic test done, but I really don't know whether he is right or not :confused:.

I would appreciate any advice from some of you guys.

Best regards

hockeyanimal56

Reaction score
Website
www.dixstix.com.au
I have a 2005 Vito and when the same happened to me I had disturbed the parking light bulb while replacing the headlamp bulb on the passenger's side. Of course with the headlamps on I couldn't see that the parking bulb was not illuminated. Lesson was, check all bulbs individually and remember the numberplate illumination lamps as well.

Hope that may help.

Hockeyanimal56

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
in addition if theres any bulb of incorrect voltage/wattage it can also induce this failure, plus it's common for the back light assemblies to have some corrosion build up in the bulb holders area, remove the bulbs, clean the contacts with some fine sandpaper/emery then refit the bulbs.

cheers
anyweb

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Have you fitted the correct wattage lamp when you replaced it

OP
M

murad

Reaction score
I have a 2005 Vito and when the same happened to me I had disturbed the parking light bulb while replacing the headlamp bulb on the passenger's side. Of course with the headlamps on I couldn't see that the parking bulb was not illuminated. Lesson was, check all bulbs individually and remember the numberplate illumination lamps as well.

Hope that may help.

Hockeyanimal56

Thanks my friend hockeyanimal56.

I haven't thought of this before.

I will go by your advice and will let you know.

Cheers

OP
M

murad

Reaction score
in addition if theres any bulb of incorrect voltage/wattage it can also induce this failure, plus it's common for the back light assemblies to have some corrosion build up in the bulb holders area, remove the bulbs, clean the contacts with some fine sandpaper/emery then refit the bulbs.

cheers
anyweb

anyweb, what can I say more than your advice is great !!!

Thank you very much my friend.

I shall check all bulbs and holders today.

Thanks a lot

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
Take care when you clean up your connections, do not use coarse abrasive paper it will remove (or scratch through) any electroplating that remains to protect the steel of the contacts. Use one of those scotchbrite pan cleaners they are not to abrasive and will shine up the contact points well. There are various grades abrasive scotchbrite pads available if you need to cut metal but do beware of the depth of plating.
Treat the cleaned contacts to a dob of vaseline or waxoil to prevent further degradation.
I too have had lamp fail trouble, my fault was cheap brake lamps (21W) which did not draw quite enough current, the tail lamps should be 10W not the commonly supplied 5W type.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Take care when you clean up your connections, do not use coarse abrasive paper it will remove (or scratch through) any electroplating that remains to protect the steel of the contacts. Use one of those scotchbrite pan cleaners they are not to abrasive and will shine up the contact points well. There are various grades abrasive scotchbrite pads available if you need to cut metal but do beware of the depth of plating.
Treat the cleaned contacts to a dob of vaseline or waxoil to prevent further degradation.
I too have had lamp fail trouble, my fault was cheap brake lamps (21W) which did not draw quite enough current, the tail lamps should be 10W not the commonly supplied 5W type.

This is the advice that I always give,sand paper should not be used as you will soon be back in trouble.
These things are only flash nickel plated one gone the the surface oxidizes quickly

Bolide

Reaction score
Website
www.w124.co.uk
Your Mercedes
BMW 525 Diesel Touring
I have a sneaking suspicion that W124s originally had 5 Watt rear sidelights but that the spec changed to 10 Watt for later cars

Certainly it's worth changing them as they tend to darken with age and get very dim. I replace them on every car I sell. Try 5 and 10 Watt to see which doesn't trigger the BFIL

Nick Froome
www.w124.co.uk

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom