Buying 270cdi SE elagance

James Edwards

Reaction score
It would be appreciated id someone could tell me what extra does SE give.
Also does it have an on board computer?
How much less MPG than 220cdi & I suppose insurance will be more?
Going to see it on Sat
Thanks
James
98 C250td Est 154K new B service & MOT

jberks

Reaction score
M1, Outside lane, somewhere between Leeds and Lond
Your Mercedes
Jaguar XF 3.0 S, LR Freelander 2, Fiat 500 & Fiat Panda
Yes the 270 is faster and therefore less economical and more to insure. However, there isn't that much in it. You need to drive both and decide whether you really want the extra go that the 270 provides. I also found the 220 engine slightly smoother. If you're not that bothered (and the 220 is fine for most people) then the 220 will be cheaper to buy and to own.
Personally I got a 270, but then I'm greedy!.

Topboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 SLK 250 AMG & 2002 ML270CDI (for the Mrs)
I looked at both the C class 220cdi and the 270cdi just over a year ago. If you can afford it, buy the 270cdi - I did and have never regretted it. In my opinion it just felt better all round and has that extra bit of poke when needed. I ended up buying a three month old Avantgarde SE with a few extra bits, 7,000 miles on the clock, but saving about 6 - 7K on book.

I get about 40mpg doing quite a bit of motorway driving (sat at about 90mph)which I thought was very good but I was recently told that was poor!

I have previously owned a new Renault Laguna which struggled to give me 30mpg (when it decided to start!).

jberks

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Topboy said:
I get about 40mpg doing quite a bit of motorway driving (sat at about 90mph)which I thought was very good but I was recently told that was poor!
Well I must say that having swapped an E240 Elegance for an E270 CDI avantgarde with sports suspension, fat alloys etc I'm loving every minute of it.
I'm getting around 38mpg with my commute - 12 miles town and 35 miles motorway which I think is pretty good. I did do a test yesterday at 50mph in roadworks where i saw 52mpg and a steady 50 mile run with the cruise set to just under 80 and I saw a steady 47.5 so I'm certainly happy with what she's returning. As she runs in over the next 50k or so it should only get better too. Plus there's bags of grunt when you need it - not as mad as a 320 perhaps but certainly good enough to leave most things standing. The only problem I've had is using kick down. Turbo kicks in and it just wheel spins! Without the ESP she'd probably be dangerous.

OP
J

James Edwards

Reaction score
Thanks to you guys for sensible advice!
It looks as if they do not make the 270cdi anymore I wonder why?
Having a look at a car this weekend.
Thanks
J
C 250td sport -154k

jberks

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
They don't make it any more as it wasn't EU4 compliant, and they have come out with a new 3l V6 Diesel instead. The old 320CDI straight 6 wouldn't fit in the C class which is why the 270 was the biggest diesel in the C (5 cyl like your 250) though for some reason they offered both in the E. The new 280 and 320 are the same engine, just with different ECU and turbos I suspect. They are smoother, faster, more environmentally friendly but no more economical probably due to the EU4 bits and certainly from my perspective today, too expensive to be an option as they've only just come out.
The 270 has been around for ages so I don't believe there is a major problem with them, aside from the occasional turbo going south.

OlafMaxwell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W210 E320 CDI Estate
Occasional turbo??? At one stage among those i knew wit hthem it was damn near a 100% failure rate.

jberks

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OlafMaxwell said:
Occasional turbo??? At one stage among those i knew with them it was damn near a 100% failure rate.

There was I spate I believe, but I haven't heard of any recently, mine seems fine, and most owners I've come across seem happy. Admittedly this is one of the reasons I pushed myself and bought an early 05 model rather than a more financially comfortable 02/03 - MB do finally seem to be getting there with the quality and reliability - at least on the models that have been around for a year or two. Nearly 2 weeks now and aside from a wildly vibrating noisy air filter box, shes fault free!

Customer service is another matter but I've taken to going in rather than phoning so they can't fob you off. If/when they try, I just growl and they snap nicely back into line...

Topboy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014 SLK 250 AMG & 2002 ML270CDI (for the Mrs)
jberks said:
There was I spate I believe, but I haven't heard of any recently, mine seems fine, and most owners I've come across seem happy. Admittedly this is one of the reasons I pushed myself and bought an early 05 model rather than a more financially comfortable 02/03 - MB do finally seem to be getting there with the quality and reliability - at least on the models that have been around for a year or two. Nearly 2 weeks now and aside from a wildly vibrating noisy air filter box, shes fault free!

Customer service is another matter but I've taken to going in rather than phoning so they can't fob you off. If/when they try, I just growl and they snap nicely back into line...

So that's how to do it, is it?

My 270cdi was missing both the log book and locking wheel nuts when I first bought it. "You'll get them sent through in about a fortnight" I was told. Four months passed before I got ****ty and stamped my feet. One week later - all sorted!

Must say, the Turbo bit worries me. Mine's July 04. Runs nice. Touch wood.

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom