Buying a W211 Estate

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
So ladies and gents, as some of you may know I have decided to chop the X Trail in against a W211 estate and have spent the last few weeks looking. Been to see two, both lemons with major SBC problems.

I have two lined up to see tomorrow so hands off those on Leics! Anyway, I've found this and would like to know your thoughts on it. Is 210k miles a problem for the 320 diesel on the 7 speed box?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classif...searchad=new,nearlynew,used&logcode=p&adPos=3

Additionally, I know I've already asked this but please can the more knowledgable give me some pointers on what to look out for? I'll be taking along my trusty i980 to check on SBC and rear suspension codes anyway.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
That certainly looks a very clean car, and good spec. You can see the brake disc for wear, but thats a small thing. Its sitting nice and level.

OP
C

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
That is what I thought Malcolm. SWMBO typically doesn't like the colour (she wants an A4 estate for some reason, she ain't getting one).

What about the mileage, is 210k a problem on that powertrain?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I am not sure on the colour, never seen one in that. The mileages does not seem to affect these at all after seeing the ones that Colin has had.

It will have had at least 1 SBC pump if not more as we never knew when they got changed

OP
C

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
OK, I can budget for an SBC pump but I believe the number of actuations can be read..?

Good to know on the mileage otherwise Malcolm thank you.

I wasn't sure on the colour either, but it's begun to grow on me. JRG as they say :D

I've just had a really queer conversation with one of the cars I had on to view, Select Cars in Market Harborough really does not like potential customers a) enquiring too closely about the state of his cars, and b) does not like potential customers looking at any other cars than his. Never had a used car dealer refuse to show me a car before.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Looked at it again and the colour is a refreshing change from the norm.

Market Harborough a strange place, thats where my first wife ran off with a guy in 1962, never saw her again.

OP
C

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Looked at it again and the colour is a refreshing change from the norm.

Market Harborough a strange place, thats where my first wife ran off with a guy in 1962, never saw her again.

It's also THE place to go to if you want a hit man, apparently so I've heard.

OP
C

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Anyway Alex what do you think of the car?

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
It's also THE place to go to if you want a hit man, apparently so I've heard.

maybe I should arrange a trip there too then......

car looks tidy. although it is gold, which I'm not a fan of (even less than silver or white in fact) but ignoring my personal preferences, it looks a good example and the 2 tone interior is certainly different. ive not seen one in that colour scheme before and it suits the car.

Last edited:

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Looks like a good find Craig, the colour and interior look special designio order and I very much like. As regards the mileage providing the V6 has been well cared for and the gearbox likewise and the gearbox changes well especially between first and second all should be well for another 100+k miles.

There appears to be no warranty with the car so do your homework well but I like it. Regarding SBC there isn't one so no problem there the only other issue being the Inlet Port Shutoff motor so mention the turbo seals to the seller and a quick check for oil leakage from the seals wouldn't go amiss.

Hope all goes well

OP
C

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Looks like a good find Craig, the colour and interior look special designio order and I very much like. As regards the mileage providing the V6 has been well cared for and the gearbox likewise and the gearbox changes well especially between first and second all should be well for another 100+k miles.

There appears to be no warranty with the car so do your homework well but I like it. Regarding SBC there isn't one so no problem there the only other issue being the Inlet Port Shutoff motor so mention the turbo seals to the seller and a quick check for oil leakage from the seals wouldn't go amiss.

Hope all goes well

No SBC? Odd I thought that there would be on a W211?

Ok anyway. I've been to see it on the way home and it's dead straight. Runs spot on, good nick throughout. Some rust starting to show on the inside edge of rear arches, lacquer coat is coming off the rear bumper, bit of trim is broken off the console armrest latch (but just needs gluing on). Car was a special designo order, has everything including a Visseeo puck already installed. COMAND, phone, climatronic, parktronic, possibly distronic if I saw the symbol on the dash right. It sits dead level too and only has the odd little click or noise going down the road.

Goes like sheeeit off a shovel, engine dead smooth. Brakes superb. I didn't like the colour initially but it's already grown on SWMBO and I. I'll wait to see what the one tomorrow is like, but it would need to be very good indeed to compete. Forgot to mention, FSH, including injectors replaced 3-4 years ago.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Pleased that was a good car,,, I too like the colour now, it suits the shape of the car and it does have SBC

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Pleased that was a good car,,, I too like the colour now, it suits the shape of the car and it does have SBC

Agree Malcolm the colour does look nice mainly because of it's brightness and rarity and complimentary leather upholstery.

I thought 07 reg facelift cars were not fitted with SBC?

OP
C

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Agree Malcolm the colour does look nice mainly because of it's brightness and rarity and complimentary leather upholstery.

I thought 07 reg facelift cars were not fitted with SBC?

It would need chrome headlamp rings though and a day spent scrubbing the seats, they're a bit shiny.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SBC stopped on cars built after 06-06 I must be muddled up and missed the 07 car somewhere.

This new link car has a nice spec too.

Top Bottom