Bye bye to my 500SL (R230) - Previous owners include Malcolm and Gordon......

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Well the car is back where it belongs,other than awful traffic on the A303/M3 the car was lovely to drive back in, so thanks to Gordon and more thanks to Suki that car has been looked after well. I did not notice any less power than the new one.

What ever I write regarding the car it is no reflection on Suki at all.

I noticed that the front tyres are 245 and they should be 255 making the sidewall 3.5mm less than it should be. this make no difference at all to me as the wheels are to be refurbished and I use over sized tyres. I must say the ride was amazing for such low profile tyres.

The linguaretronic lady was much worse than I remembered her to be, there was no TV, no CD and no anything other than "navigation" she did get that right bless her, but again I have always said its easier to press a button on any of them. I soon got used to the comand 2 again and it did its job well.

Strange thing was I felt so at home in it, it make me drive in a certain manner, and that cant be bad.

All I have done so far is to adjust the drivers door hinges so that its at the correct height and the lock keep, Looking forward to all the other things that I do like, for instance painting up the disc and calipers.

One of the first mods will be to add DAB as the antennas are all there for the taking.

Interesting that the exhaust is much louder than on the new one, so no mods needed there other than a de CAT one day.

So for the first day its all going well. :D:D I do thank everyone that guided me through all this.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
strangely Malcolm I feel (remotely) proud to be even a small part of this epic , albeit short, journey. Well played to you sir for taking the courage to grab onto what you believed(and I think now have proven) to be right. Can't wait to see the pics after the small mods are done.
And I am sure your newer SL500 will end up with a very proud owner- and will be a very lucky owner!!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
strangely Malcolm I feel (remotely) proud to be even a small part of this epic , albeit short, journey. Well played to you sir for taking the courage to grab onto what you believed(and I think now have proven) to be right. Can't wait to see the pics after the small mods are done.
And I am sure your newer SL500 will end up with a very proud owner- and will be a very lucky owner!!

Thanks John, just been out in it again and it feels the way I remembered it, and sure the new one is mint and well loaded.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
great Malcolm, tempting prospect even if it's the wrong engine and wrong model and era....

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
Nice to see the car back with you Malcolm no doubt the next few weeks will be busy working over the detail of the car again

They are fantastic cars I hope your second ownership is as enjoyable as the first

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Nice to see the car back with you Malcolm no doubt the next few weeks will be busy working over the detail of the car again

They are fantastic cars I hope your second ownership is as enjoyable as the first

Although the car has been really well cared for it is still in very good shape, but as many know I have to do all the little tiny details everywhere, it will be good for me and give me something to do rather than sitting here for hours on end.

Some how this car is part of me :D:D

Thank you.

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Although the car has been really well cared for it is still in very good shape, but as many know I have to do all the little tiny details everywhere, it will be good for me and give me something to do rather than sitting here for hours on end.

Some how this car is part of me :D:D

Thank you.

Thats what i said to you the other day on the phone, drive it, if it feels right then its still yours!!! glad to see :its still yours:..........

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Thats what i said to you the other day on the phone, drive it, if it feels right then its still yours!!! glad to see :its still yours:..........

It was spot on in every way Cole, just like its never been away, thank goodness Suki really looked after it.

Its nice that I have something to play with again, when a car is too new, there is never much to do, or put another way, not advisable to.

It will also get me out more doing the Southampton run for anything beyond my scope :D:D

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
Looking forward to seeing it again Malc, sound like it not gonna want for much tho, still, we can alway find things for you to do around the workshop.........

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I used to love those days out, just doing some of some use, its horrible being an OAP, I get morbid thoughts :D:D

Michael G 2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Nowt yet...
I've read my way through the whole thread, and I was hoping you'd buy it again Malc :D With all the love and care the 3 of you have put into it, it deserves an owner who'd go the extra mile for it.

I hope you have even more happy memories with it. :D

MBDevotee

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Dreaming of a CL55k - one day maybe....
Well done Malcolm - I thought you should and you have :)

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Baby SL has missed its mother, she was so happy last night that she was back home. She arrived on hot August night when another SL was in for some work
Picture%20109_zpsmpytw5gs.jpg

Picture%20107_zpsuukajwmm.jpg

Picture%20111_zpsew2ak7zj.jpg

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
That's a good model Malcolm with the working roof and all, have you had any PSE issues with it yet ? ;) what make is it ?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
That's a good model Malcolm with the working roof and all, have you had any PSE issues with it yet ? ;) what make is it ?

Yes it really is a good model "made in China" is all it says, its got V pattern tyres sadly, but very quick, no PSE pump and locking not working :(

s500colin

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2001/5L And Toyota Landcruiser 50th Anniversary Ltd Edition 4.7L
Yes it really is a good model "made in China" is all it says, its got V pattern tyres sadly, but very quick, no PSE pump and locking not working :(

I can't believe you haven't managed to sort out those issues yet :eek:

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
i wasnt aware they made the SL in CHINA!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:;););)

B

brick10

Well done Malcolm, nice for you to have the car back where it belongs.
Happy tinkering.
Terry.

Mercedes-Benz Servicing, repairs, engine and diagnostics
Wayne Gates - Mercedes-Benz, Unit F3, Phoenix Industrial Estate, Rosslyn Crescent, Harrow, Middlesex, HA1 2SP
Tel: 020 8863 9233
Established for 20 years all vehicles washed and vacuumed.
Top Bottom