Bye bye to my 500SL (R230) - Previous owners include Malcolm and Gordon......

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Well done Malcolm, nice for you to have the car back where it belongs.
Happy tinkering.
Terry.

I agree, I have been up since 6am doing this and that to it,,, this was one of the troubles with the new one, if never did anything wrong ;):D

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
In terms of the exhaust noise remember I had the secondary cats removed and replaced with just straight pipe after they failed ... you may want to change that .... I look forward to seeing it again soon since I'm down this way now... I assume Suki sorted out the badly shutting boot lid as well ?

Also assume you still have that old gearshift you can fix properly that fits the car if you need it..hopefully not but....

Sent from my SM-P605 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Picture%20109_zpsmpytw5gs.jpg

Needs some new number plate surrounds Malcolm, don't give those buggers free advertising!!!

C

ChrisUK01

I think everyone has a cherished memory of a previous car for me it was my CLK a great car and I was stupid to get rid of her.

Last edited by a moderator:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
In terms of the exhaust noise remember I had the secondary cats removed and replaced with just straight pipe after they failed ... you may want to change that .... I look forward to seeing it again soon since I'm down this way now... I assume Suki sorted out the badly shutting boot lid as well ?

Also assume you still have that old gearshift you can fix properly that fits the car if you need it..hopefully not but....

Are that explains it, thank you, the exhaust noise is fine, and I love that. Yes I will drop in one day. Then noises behind the drivers side are much worse now, I had the occasional Knock/rattle on a very large pot hole. Some thing wrong /worn with the rear window, a noise in the drivers door that needs sorting.

MB have released on STAR a lot of fixes now for these noises, the passenger side is dead quiet so something to check against, but a lot of work taking out all the rear trim and shelf.

I am happier doing these things than driving them, sure I am a fusspot.

I do hope that you and Suki will not take offence at what ever I write and do, as all that needs doing is normal wear and tear. In general the car is in great shape and well looked after.

Dont laugh but today I have been washing the undersides of the doors, and all the door shuts. The rubber protection I used is still good on all the rubbers.

I will end up packing the drivers side lock so that the boot lid always closes in one go, the catch is just out a little and you cannot bend them.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Needs some new number plate surrounds Malcolm, don't give those buggers free advertising!!!

Yes new plates and surrounds will be done :D:D

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
I think everyone has a cherished memory of a previous car for me it was my CLK a great car and I was stupid to get rid of her.

ive got 2. my 203 and my Puma. wish id kept both.

Gkinghorn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
Then noises behind the drivers side are much worse now, I had the occasional Knock/rattle on a very large pot hole. Some thing wrong /worn with the rear window, a noise in the drivers door that needs sorting.

I do hope that you and Suki will not take offence at what ever I write and do, as all that needs doing is normal wear and tear. In general the car is in great shape and well looked after.

Dont laugh but today I have been washing the undersides of the doors, and all the door shuts. The rubber protection I used is still good on all the rubbers.

I will end up packing the drivers side lock so that the boot lid always closes in one go, the catch is just out a little and you cannot bend them.
I did say that noise was something that I couldn't trace though I agree if seemed to come from the rear offside window. I got used to it but found it annoying at times. I never had time to go look at it properly.

Also I removed one of the little plastic plus that held the rear boot liner to the roof and never did replace it. .It was looser and rattled. ..I had to put my son in the boot to find that one out. ..
It got a liberal dose of gummi pledge all round the rubbers when I had it. ..

And no I won't be upset if you point out things we should have done or did wrong. .. i always felt bad I couldn't fix things as well as you.

Does the boot lid still not shut with one movement then? I want sure from your last comment. .

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
It does shut sometimes in on go, depending on the angle, at least I have the new one to copy. I have found one roof member with play on drivers side and I have packed it out, just got to see if the noise stops. If not then rear window out.

That exhaust mod you did has really improved the performance, congratulations on doing that, it sounds good too.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
This car has remained in the forums hands and is now the prized possession of Mrs LK.

Malcolm insisted he wanted us to have it (And those of you who know Malcolm know how he gets if you try to contradict him) so we bought it from him before he passed away.

Having found this thread it seemed appropriate to redirect it as part of the car's continued life in the forum.

We had always promised to take Malcolm to France with us but he passed away before we could arrange it so taking his car will be the next best thing.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Well done Alastair, it's out now but a little like when i bought the 2008 SL from Malcolm the intrigue was fun!
Malc and i had some fun on the forum keeping folks guessing...
It's in very good hands, enjoy!

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
This car has remained in the forums hands and is now the prized possession of Mrs LK.

Malcolm insisted he wanted us to have it (And those of you who know Malcolm know how he gets if you try to contradict him) so we bought it from him before he passed away.

Having found this thread it seemed appropriate to redirect it as part of the car's continued life in the forum.

We had always promised to take Malcolm to France with us but he passed away before we could arrange it so taking his car will be the next best thing.
You've bought a car that has been well loved and cherished, its was Malcolms SL that convinced me to buy mine (although i never saw it in the flesh).

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Lovely car, and my suspicions were correct I'm glad to see!

(Just make sure Rose stays away from the kerbs!)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
You've bought a car that has been well loved and cherished, its was Malcolms SL that convinced me to buy mine (although i never saw it in the flesh).

Yes it is lovely though it does need some fettling to bring it up to full 'Malcolm' standard.
Theres a small amount of corrosion wanting to be sorted (rear arches), there is a slight leak from passenger side of the rear window and an occasional clunk at low speed when maneuvering (sounds like a loose rack mount).
Also need to sort the keyless go as only one key works.

The biggy is the right front ABC strut doesn't rise to the maximum height when cycling through - it stays on the medium one but as Malcolm said it all works fine aside from that. We do have a spare used front right strut but its unknown quality....

Something (else) to keep me busy!

silestanix

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97' C250TD Sport
I will not part with that one :D I have even ordered a slot in the ground that will take the car and myself. :D
Just had to read the thread again and smiled at this... Sums Malcolm up so well.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Took me a year after the end of this thread to buy the 'unloved' one from Malcolm, funny reading it all again!

Top Bottom