C Class 2001 tailgate doesn't unlock.

bc100

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S205 C250 BluTec Estate 2014
Quite unexpectedly my tailgate has stopped unlocking. I can't hear the usual noise at the back of the car when pressing the unlock button on the keyring. I wasn't present when this first happened so is it possible that something is lodged in the catch, as lots of bits and pieces were being moved out of the car and something may have remained?
What are my options?

GlosRichCLK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2019 W177 A180 SE auto, 2012 W212 E350 CDi Sport saloon, 2001 CLK 230 K Cabriolet A208
Have a look in the manual, there will be a lever or cable from inside the boot you can pull to open the tailgate. Or you can use the key from the outside.

OP
B

bc100

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ahh, thankyou. In six years I had never even seen the keyhole so now I am able to get in though the key did seem to meet some resistance the first time. When I did open the tailgate I heard some metal rattling around so something has come adrift. This now means I can easily get the trim off (when it stops raining in Devon). I'll report back.

OP
B

bc100

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Finally got the trim off my tailgate but no evidence of loose bits that I can see. Nothing obviously broken, no unique fuses for the lock but I can feel that the lock is not actuating. I can't see a pulse on the wires to the lock motor but I'm not sure what to expect.

I guess this should be moved to the electrics section but I don't know how this should be done

OP
B

bc100

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Confused by the Haynes manual. The lock motor is operating if I actuate the microswitch on the release assembly. I now see that this assembly has a bit of casting broken off so it would seem that the actual lock motor cannot operate.
I need to get a P/N for it and see about a new one or a second hand one. It seems to have an integral key barrel so I'd end upwith a new key. If anyone is interested I'll update later.

OP
B

bc100

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
All now sorted. Bought relevant new part from MB and now have a better understanding of how it is supposed to work. Worst part was swapping lock cylinders as there were only vague instructions and no diagrams on the internet.
Happy to talk someone through this should it happen to them.

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)
Mine broke but still operated from the key fob, there was a piece of metal loose in the tailgate that had snapped off from the lock handle

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom