C-Class buying guide

neilcharlton

Reaction score
Hi , can anyone point me in the direction of a yr 2000+ C - class buying guide. What sort of things to look for , knowen problems etc.
I'm thinking about buying one privately out of the autotrader. I'll probably check it over myself.

I live in london so i'm not bothered about 0-60 times , whats the best engine to get the petrol 180, 200 , 230 or the CDI ?

Is it worth buying an after market warrenty from say the AA or what ever , if thins go wrong are they expensive to fix ?

Whats the avg servicing price, i take it FSH cars are the ones to go for ...

Any pointers would be greatly recieved :)

Blobcat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R171 SLK280, Smart R451, Land Rover 110 County SW, 997 C2S, R1250 GSA TE 40th, CBR600FP
Forget the warranty not worth the paper it's written on (IMHO) unless it is an MB one. 220CDI is quite nice.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
I think liike Bobcat that the CDI is a good bet, yes forget the non MB warranty as they will not pay MB labour cost, also there are many get out clauses, more so with the electrics, just remember that if you have no PX you can always knock the price down, re the pricing I can never work out why the average person selling thinks that their car is worth more than one from a dealer, as all dealers have to give some form of guarantee. get the highest spec that you can, it makes the car so nice when sitting in a traffic jam.

malcolm

GSM1

Reaction score
Not all warranty companies are the same, I had my old C200 repaired at an indie without a problem even the merc dealer repaired it under non MB warranty although I had to pay the extra for the labour.
They fixed the ABS sensor and the indie sorted a wiper motor and mechanism and then a water pump.
My current warranty covers me for £40 an hour labour and my indie only charges £35 so I would not rule out buying your own.
Gary

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
GSM1 said:
Not all warranty companies are the same, I had my old C200 repaired at an indie without a problem even the merc dealer repaired it under non MB warranty although I had to pay the extra for the labour.
They fixed the ABS sensor and the indie sorted a wiper motor and mechanism and then a water pump.
My current warranty covers me for £40 an hour labour and my indie only charges £35 so I would not rule out buying your own.
Gary
OK you make a very good point here,for peace of mind, and of coarse you could keep up the normal service with MB to get the book stamped.

malcolm

Balal

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL 350 R230
I pay abit extra to warrantydirect people and they cover for repairs at merc dealer ( 100% dealer labour rate ) as well... but I havent used them at merc dealer for repairs yet so dont know if they stick to their words!!

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Balal said:
I pay abit extra to warrantydirect people and they cover for repairs at merc dealer ( 100% dealer labour rate ) as well... but I havent used them at merc dealer for repairs yet so dont know if they stick to their words!!

it would be nice if people put up what companies they were with, and how they got on in the event of a claim.

malcolm

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom