C-class suspension problem

grpar

Reaction score
Without boring you on the long-standing problem of my 54-plate C-class' handling, I think I may have id'ed the problem and need a bit of advice to tell me if I'm warm (or barmy) .....

Problem is the front end feels a bit floaty and rocky (as in it rocks from side-to-side) at motorway speeds. Enough to make it unpleasant at least. Had the suspension checked and the alignment done already. Nothing wrong, apparently.

When stationary, if you give each corner a good push down, the springs seem to be ok, so I don't think it's them. I'm beginning to think it might be that the shockers have gone ..... would spent shockers highlight the higher-speed handling issue that I have .... ? Bear in mind, this car has doen 34k miles on west London's pock-mocked roads.

Ellsy Tanners

Reaction score
Maybe, test your shockers by pushing hard down on the car untill its bouncing, then release. if the shocks are in good order the car will bounce once and settle. if in continues to bounce then there knackered!!

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
As Ellsy, a good push down and it should come up and bounce once.

Where certain roads have caused damage this will not be apparent by doing the above test as wear could be over say a 100 cm section of travel.

The perfect way to test is to disconnect one end where any free play can be felt

whitenemesis

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS55 AMG '05
As Ellsy, a good push down and it should come up and bounce once.

Where certain roads have caused damage this will not be apparent by doing the above test as wear could be over say a 100 cm section of travel.

The perfect way to test is to disconnect one end where any free play can be felt

Wow! They are big shock absorbers!! :shock: :p

wireman

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
nice 201 2.5D 1993 & very nice 129 SL500 1994
Also check the anti roll bar bushes and lower suspension arm rubber bushes, along with the adjustment of the front hub bearings, attention to these transformed my 124.

With totaly worn shocks there would be all sorts of thumping and banging on uneven roads. Partialy worn shocks can feel OK cold but be poor once heated up by being driven some distance.

The suspension components can be sufficiently worn to cause your problems but stiil in good enough shape to pass the MOT.

slk350

Reaction score
I had a problem with my 03 C class which ended up with the rear shocks/suspension having bits replaced under warranty. Apparently it was a known problem. I first noticed a harsh ride and occasional knocking noises when cornering, any unusual noises coming from yours?

Kev.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
Problem is the front end feels a bit floaty and rocky (as in it rocks from side-to-side) at motorway speeds. Enough to make it unpleasant at least. Had the suspension checked and the alignment done already. Nothing wrong, apparently.
Mine does that too - it feels like it's squirming.

I mentioned in other posts that it also runs (more than drift) to the left, and that the dealer says it's actually better than most.

Last weekend I swapped the front wheels with each other - both tyres are worn on their outside edges, but the NSF tyre edge more worn. I've no idea if the car is now "corrected" by the opposing tyre wear, but the difference is nothing short of dramatic.

The car tracks almost dead straight, and the squirm is gone. It drove smoothly around long motorway intersections without constant correction (bordering on fighting) to the steering. It'll be interesting to see if the issues reappear as they tyres wear in their new positions.

OP
G

grpar

Reaction score
Also check the anti roll bar bushes and lower suspension arm rubber bushes, along with the adjustment of the front hub bearings, attention to these transformed my 124.

With totaly worn shocks there would be all sorts of thumping and banging on uneven roads. Partialy worn shocks can feel OK cold but be poor once heated up by being driven some distance.

The suspension components can be sufficiently worn to cause your problems but stiil in good enough shape to pass the MOT.

Thanks Wireman,

The front end does "thump" noticeably over bad road surfaces (in terms of noise), which was the same problem last September when MB diagnosed wheel bearings and a few other suspension dirty bits as being the culprits.

Being logical about it, a slight rocking sensation from left to right on the front end could only really arise from defective springs or shockers on one or perhaps both sides. I can't find a reason to believe that this would be caused by a leaking steering damper (per another post from an SLK owner), or by swapping the front wheels (which seems to have cured Rory's similar problem).

Will be booking it into MB in the next few weeks to get the front springs and shockers looked at.

Any ideas on how much labour this requires in an MB dealer .... ??

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom