C W205 steering column cowling

evilweasel

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W205 2016 AMG C63S
Hello folks - I also posted this on ‘the other forum’ but wonder that to satisfy my curiosity if anyone out there with a w205 would do me a favour and take a photo of the underside of their steering column cowl, where it enters the underside of the dashboard. The reason why I ask is that I’m concerned that MB service have not replaced a lower bellows cover or something similar after doing a recent clock spring recall... On mine, the upper leatherette bellows cover is present, but underneath there’s a hole through which you can see the steering column and bracketry etc... not sure if this is normal, I only just noticed today, as I could feel cold air descending from the hole after this morning’s frosty start! Mine’s the one that adjusts electrically so maybe it’s a slightly different design, but I just don’t want to believe that MB designed the column/dash interface like this....

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
It's normal. I looked at mine today, and it is rather an unsightly "hole", but you can't see it unless you go looking.

OP
E

evilweasel

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W205 2016 AMG C63S
Thanks for this. Probably a cost cutting measure on MBs part, as I’m sure my previous mercs had proper covers around their steering columns...

Uncle Benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mainly Mercedes
You are not wrong there. The whole centre console slab is held on with just two screws. When you lift the top piece away it reveals a big empty cavern. It almost has an echo. They never used to be this cheap.

Pitsmoor Col

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2014. W205, C Class C220. Diesel Blutec Automatic Saloon.
clock spring recall ???

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom