C180 Auto - Wont Start; No Dash Lights

abmalhot

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c180/2002/petrol
I was travelling home last night and parked the car road side to pick up something on the way. When I came back to the car, I opened the car and inserted the key fob and tried turning it to switch on the car and suddenly dashboard lights went off, key wont turn, all electronics went dead - no horn, no in car lamps/lights, no hazard lights, no head lights, absolutely no display on instrument cluster. Central Locking stopped, could no longer lock / unlock the car using central locking.. It was a total blackout of everything.

I was searching for solutions to problem online but couldnt find anything, I wasnt sure if it was due to car being immobilized due to anti theft system or if it was due to some failed component or if it was aging key sensor(I just have one car key, so couldnt try another to isolate this)..

I kept struggling for a while and after reading some random posts on internet, I thought of disconnecting battery for a while to see if it helps.. The moment I touched the battery box to disconnect it, suddenly car lights came back on, along with dashboard lights. I went back in and tried starting the car and it started with instrument cluster showing ESP couldnt be activated due to a fault. I turned the engine off and it said 1 fault and showed the same ESP error. I tried starting again and this time no ESP error and it said "No Malfunction" on switching off this time, and I could just drive off without any issues after that.. Tried switching Off and On again several times but car worked well after that.

I am not sure what happened to the car momentarily and if I could run into such a problem again. Any suggestions or help is appreciated, If at all there is some real problem I would like it to be sorted out before the onset of winters..

Thanks,
Abhi

Car Details: 2002 C180(W203) Petrol, Auto - Avantgrande

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
This was just bad connections on the battery itself,,, take them off and clean and grease the terminals and you should be just fine, battery post are worse than the spades for doing this, do the nuts up tight enough, but do not over tighten

OP
A

abmalhot

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c180/2002/petrol
Thanks for your reply. I will check for it and update.

OP
A

abmalhot

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c180/2002/petrol
loose connection at negative terminal.. tighten it up and its fine again.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom