C180 Exhaust problem?

joneseythedog

Reaction score
Dear All

My 1995 C180 sounds a bit tractor-like.

Looking around underneath, there is a very loose section of exhaust where the pipes bend up into the engine compartment. This appears to be an outer section, which has a pipe passing through it. It is probably a foot long, and is more-or-less 'L' shaped, as it incorporates the bend.

Is it a 'proper' component, or is it just there to protect the actual exhaust pipe that passes through it?

Andrew

C220GJS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W202 C220 Elegance
This is just the outer protective skin, sounds like your exhaust pipe is perforated inside the outer skin, problem is the front pipe and catalytic converter are one unit and this is not easily repairable.

OP
J

joneseythedog

Reaction score
Thanks for that. Not quite the reply I was hoping for!

Should this sort of thing get through an MOT?

I bought the car approx. two months ago from a dealer who supplied it tested. I know exhausts are subject to wear and tear, but the corrosion at the bottom of the outer pipe would have been evident then, even if it hadn't been detached at that point. I'll have someone look at it to see what is what.

Andrew

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom