C180 Timing chain and variators/cams hell

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I know we feel we are being fed aload of rubbish by them but not much we can do. The explanation they gave for the cams (yes they have just replaced them) being the wrong way round is they were only on to hold something in place while they removed the tensioner, I am far from anysort of mechanical engineer but it all sounds fishy to me.

P.S. the garage in question is mentioned on this forum and has good reviews
Eeeeeek :eek:

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
I know we feel we are being fed aload of rubbish by them but not much we can do. The explanation they gave for the cams (yes they have just replaced them) being the wrong way round is they were only on to hold something in place while they removed the tensioner, I am far from anysort of mechanical engineer but it all sounds fishy to me.

P.S. the garage in question is mentioned on this forum and has good reviews
Just to get this right they changed the cam shafts and the cam shaft timing gears (sprockets).
Here's how the marks should be

star

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
There are several thing that could cause the rattle, most mentioned before, one other that could cause it, is the gears are on the wrong cams and the oil feed to them doesn’t match up. The dowels will align allowing fitment as in the pic but the oil ways may not.

OP
M

Mercmo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220/2005/cdi
Just to get this right they changed the cam shafts and the cam shaft timing gears (sprockets).
Here's how the marks should be
No they have changed the (variators) sprokets, chain, tensioner, one of those things sticking out of the variator and the oil and filter I told them to change the fan belt for a new one since they had it off anyway and to change any other little bits that they had taken off that may as well be renewed.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
In my opinion wha needs to happen here is the rocker cover removing and just having a cursory look to see if everything is in the correct Place. It will take about half an hour to achieve that and will answers all of your questions in one.

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180
In my opinion wha needs to happen here is the rocker cover removing and just having a cursory look to see if everything is in the correct Place. It will take about half an hour to achieve that and will answers all of your questions in one.
Can you think of any reason why the cam gears should have been put on the wrong cams in the first place?

SL63 Mark

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
R231 SL63 AMG
Sounds Fishy, but the only way is to check as Steve has said. Otherwise we are engaging in pure speculation.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Can you think of any reason why the cam gears should have been put on the wrong cams in the first place?

Everyone is human....and everyone can make mistakes...but we don't know 100% that they are like that.

I think we should stop the speculation, especially as the Indie is a member here, gain some facts and hard evidence and then move forwards from there. Its only right and fair and I would want the same.

If the op has lost faith, confidence and trust in his current Indie, then it would be only right he takes it somewhere else for investigation at his own expense. If there is anything found to be awry, conversations can be had to put it right either at the repairing workshop or the new indie.

star

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Smart + others :)
Exactly, we’ll said Steve.

OP
M

Mercmo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220/2005/cdi
Everyone is human....and everyone can make mistakes...but we don't know 100% that they are like that.

I think we should stop the speculation, especially as the Indie is a member here, gain some facts and hard evidence and then move forwards from there. Its only right and fair and I would want the same.

If the op has lost faith, confidence and trust in his current Indie, then it would be only right he takes it somewhere else for investigation at his own expense. If there is anything found to be awry, conversations can be had to put it right either at the repairing workshop or the new indie.

I agree everyone makes mistakes, its also why I haven’t named the indy in the thread. I am giving them every opportunity to put things right.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
did anyone mention apprentices....

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I must admit , I never really judge when stuff goes wrong , it happens regularly . It's more important how the problem is dealt with so everyone ends up happy at the end .

range rover

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E Class Blue EFFICIENCY 250 CDI Sport 2013
I must admit , I never really judge when stuff goes wrong , it happens regularly . It's more important how the problem is dealt with so everyone ends up happy at the end .
Just remember, the man, or woman who never made a mistake never made anything, but when one thinks of what catastrophic damage this could have led to, well, the mind boggles.

OP
M

Mercmo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220/2005/cdi
So an update we have the car back after 4 weeks, we have taken it for a drive and all seems good power acceleration are fine and no strage noises. None that we can hear anyway! Total cost £1300

Parts replaced
Variators
Chain
Tensioner
A bolt
Fan belt
Oil filter
Oil
Spark plugs
Maybe some other bits they haven’t listed

It has had a problem starting once dont know if that should worry us or not?

P.S. they told us the problem was the oil filter, the new one they fitted was some strange brand they had never heard of so they asked for a new one, I was under the impression they used original oil filters!

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
So an update we have the car back after 4 weeks, we have taken it for a drive and all seems good power acceleration are fine and no strage noises. None that we can hear anyway! Total cost £1300

Parts replaced
Variators
Chain
Tensioner
A bolt
Fan belt
Oil filter
Oil
Spark plugs

P.S. they told us the problem was the oil filter, the new one they fitted was some strange brand they had never heard of so they asked for a new one, I was under the impression they used original oil filters!
That made me smile when you said the garage hadn't even heard of the make of filter ! ( what make was it by the way ?)

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
A great result in the end then and you should be good for years to come now!

daibevan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W203 C200 Kompressor Elegance SE 2006 Tanzanite Blue with cream interior
Having my own M271, I'm delighted that yours is now as good as new again.:D:D

Oldspanners

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C CLASS 2004 C180

Parts replaced
Variators
Chain
Tensioner
A bolt
Fan belt
Oil filter
Oil
Spark plugs

I hope this was just a mistake of sourcing the wrong part.
Seems everything else is working, happy motoring.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
without any knowledge of labour or parts for this job / vehicle my estimate (all prices inc VAT)

oil 60 quid
filter 10 quid
cam chain & tensioner kit 200 quid
pattern variators 250
drivebelt 30 quid
plugs 45 quid
labour at 70 an hour
cam chain 4hr
plugs and oil filter 1hr

= less than 1k, where did the other 300 go....

as for the lack of oil going round the new variators, I'd rather not think about it. after 4 weeks for a 5 hr job, I can imagine the 3rd year apprentice left to his own devices was asked to look on ebay and fit a new cylinder head (which you paid for)

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
How far out can the cam be before valves start hitting pistons?

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom