c200 1999 auto fuel needle

mercsliver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c200 1999 m111 s202
Hi all, only just got our merc and spotted a problem the fuel needle is sat pointing at tempature gague, I will get pics tomorrow but wondered if anyone already has a clue...
Thanks
Andy

OP
mercsliver

mercsliver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c200 1999 m111 s202
hi all here the pics of my fuel gauge, if anyone can give any advice id be very grateful ...
g2.jpg g1.jpg
Thanks
Andy

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Does the needle actually move at all?
If so remove the instrument panel (it pushes in - remove the lower dash, reach up and push it out).
Remove the clear plastic fascia then by twisting and lifting the centre of the needle it should pull off.
Then refit it so it points to zero with no power on it.

Reassemble and job done.

OP
mercsliver

mercsliver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c200 1999 m111 s202
Does the needle actually move at all?
If so remove the instrument panel (it pushes in - remove the lower dash, reach up and push it out).
Remove the clear plastic fascia then by twisting and lifting the centre of the needle it should pull off.
Then refit it so it points to zero with no power on it.

Reassemble and job done.
Hello mate the needle dose move a small amount but no big amount, so doing what you have said above will fix it mate, is it a basic job to remove the parts of the dash that need removing..
Thanks
Andy

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Hello mate the needle dose move a small amount but no big amount, so doing what you have said above will fix it mate, is it a basic job to remove the parts of the dash that need removing..
Thanks
Andy
Yep - dead easy. Just be careful getting the clear front off. Its old plastic and can get brittle.

I had to remove the cluster on my 210 for a problem with the LCD displays - took about an hour to do it second time but I had to totally dismantle the cluster as well. You shoud get it all done inside the hour - even first time.

You can get tools to remove the cluster without taking off the lower dash but to be honest I found it easier and less risky to go in from below. Using the tools can break the clear plastic if you get it wrong.

OP
mercsliver

mercsliver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c200 1999 m111 s202
Thank you mate for your helpful advice I see your location is midlands me based in Shropshire, it sure sounds like I can get this job fixed simple and easy fingers crossed all goes well..
Thanks
Andy

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Here's how to do it using (homemade) tools.

He also shows another way as well.

On my 210 I went in from beneath.

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
How did it end up over there ????Dear me.

I've also done work on my display and there one word of warning I remember clearly.

Pull the needle straight off. Do not twist either way, just pull off.

Twisting the needle will damage the mechanism that lies behind. Similarly, when replacing the needle, a light press is all that is needed, don't twist it on, drop it on and lightly press.

Mind you, your going to have to fill your tank to know where full is.

Good luck.

OP
mercsliver

mercsliver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c200 1999 m111 s202
How did it end up over there ????Dear me.

I've also done work on my display and there one word of warning I remember clearly.

Pull the needle straight off. Do not twist either way, just pull off.

Twisting the needle will damage the mechanism that lies behind. Similarly, when replacing the needle, a light press is all that is needed, don't twist it on, drop it on and lightly press.

Mind you, your going to have to fill your tank to know where full is.

Good luck.
Hello mate not sure how it ended up over there what would be the reason to fully fill the tank..
Thanks
Andy

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
Hello mate not sure how it ended up over there what would be the reason to fully fill the tank..
Thanks
Andy
You need to fill the tank so you know to put the needle back on pointing to full. Right now you have no idea how much fuel you have.

Have you watched the clip that LK has posted showing you how to remove the cluster?

OP
mercsliver

mercsliver

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c200 1999 m111 s202
I watched the clip that LK posted, also Lostkiwi said put needle at zero with power off, I hope read all this right..
Thanks
Andy

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
Pull the cluster out, pull all the cables out and take the cluster into the house. Work on it indoors. More in a bit ......

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
Sure you can set the needle at 0 with the power off, I'd prefer to set at full with a full tank of fuel, but that's just me, it's personal choice, both methods will work.

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
Given the age of the vehicle, the main concern is the brittleness of the plastic. Remove the cluster, disconnect all the wiring and bring it into the house, work on in the warmth. Pull the needle off and set it to zero.

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
I'm a bit concerned quite why the needle is so far out, but if you reset go zero with power off and then fill up and you show full on the gauge then all is good.

DREAMER NO2

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124 2.6E M103 1989
Good luck Andy with the job ,its not a hard job but you might need to do it again to get it to show the right fuel level You will know more when you have the speedo on the bench ..

Paul Goff

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 C220CDi CD Estate
My choice of needle setting would be to set it at empty while the cluster is on the bench.
At empty is when it needs to be accurate! When the tank is full the actual gauge reading is of little more than academic interest, particularly as the sender unit is probably at it's most inaccurate at full tank. That's why, on many cars, the gauge shows full ish for many miles and then heads for empty with ever increasing enthusiasm. :geek:

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom