C209 CLK Machine Gun Passenger Door Lock

MackScania

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK270
Hi Everyone,

I've had the car for just over a weeks. It's a 2002 CLK270 Avantgarde - I was aware of the issue when I bought the car. I'm unsure if my issue is a common problem but I hope someone has had the same issue previously and may be able to steer me in the right direction.

When the doors lock either by the key fob, automatically when the car begins to accelerate or by using the button on the dash, the passenger door doesn't successfully lock all the time. In all cases, it locks in a sort of machine gun fashion as the title suggests. The little nipple on the door which gives you an indication of its current state goes up, down, up, down, up, down (I haven't counted but I think you get the point) and also you can hear the locking mechanism making a rapid lock/unlock noise all the same. Sometimes the door is locked, other times I have do lock it a few times.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
A spring snaps inside the motor unit that controls the inner lock. You can buy a spring kit from eBay, strip it apart, replace the spring and rebuild it, I have mixed success with that, some work and some dont. Or you have to replace the whole locking motor.

Mr Filipov

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 BMW 535d Gran Turismo
Had the same on my previous CLS, but on drivers door. Had the motor replaced. Around £110 for the part and about 30 mins labour. Much easier than fiddling about with stripping it down and repairing if you are paying someone.

OP
MackScania

MackScania

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK270
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll explore the spring kit and endeavour to solve the problem myself, I quite enjoy some DIY (when successful...)

mersum1es

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W212/-09/350CDI, W219/-07/320CDI, EX:W220/-01/320CDI, EX:W211/-04/320CDI, EX:W210/-01/270CDI
yeah check youtube, good videos there. Spings are cheap but prepare few hours job at first time. Plus proper tool, at least W211 door needs long shaft hex (allen key) tool (not changeable bit type) plus proper size rivets and rivet gun. Most difficult part in my opinion, was getting lock mechanism back inside the door in its place. Again W209 may be different than W211. When next door lock spring brokes, it will be fast job ;) Good luck!

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom