C220 Gear selection problem

morli

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently bought a 2001 C220 CDI. just recently when starting off the car would jump out of first gear, as I have not owned the car long I thought it may be down to my needing to adjust to the different clutch, but today I struggled to select 2nd gear. After driving a little distance the gear selection becomes smooth again, the clutch is not slipping when in gear just this popping out of 1st and todays 2nd gear problem. The car is manual and I only have it for a week with 60000 miles on it. It has also been regularly serviced. If anyone can help with this problem and how to fix it i would greatly appriecate it. Hope so as I don't want this to spoil the pleasure I have from driving the car.

Thanks

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
2 things on this car.

The jumping out of gear is a lay shaft / bearing problem that needs replacing, if the gear has worn, that will need replacing too. There is a mod kit for it.

The hard to shift when cold is an easy one, its just to remove some oil as in the DIY section you could fit a modified stand pipe when the gear box is out.

OP
M

morli

Reaction score
Thanks Malcolm

Thanks Malcolm,

Sorry for asking but how difficult would this be to replace and could you elaborate on the mod kit please. it is my first experience with mercedes and I must say even with this hicup, I am more than satisfied with the car, looked at the display on the way to work the other day and the read out was 60.7 mpg, slightly more than the petrol jeep I had before and alot more ride comfort.

Thanks again for your time

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The box can be dropped, and it is fairly straight forward, probably better to get an indie to do the job. the job involves changing some spacers to give a better mesh.

I have got details but cant put them up till next week if thats OK

OP
M

morli

Reaction score
Next week is fine. I can't thank you enough for taking the time to respond and for getting the extra details. Really hope this fixes the problem so I can just get on with driving the car. Have been looking around the forum and you seem to come to the aid of most people, hope they all appreciate the help as much as I am.

Thanks Again

Liam

Stop looking for the Best Garage!! We are here and have the best advanced solutions for you, at Competitive prices. Put us to test with any issue you may have.
Top Bottom