C220 om651 noise??

Luke tomo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 c220 om651
Hi All new to the forum,

Had my c220 for around a month and having a few issues

1. Being what I think is the chain rattle on startup,

I have a engine management code p200a75 The charge movement flap (cylinder bank 1) has a malfunction. The emergency position was not reached

Swirl flaps? But for some reason I’m not getting any where near as good mpg as it did at first,

Also when running and I press and hold the brake for brake hold I get a loud rattling noise? Is this normal?

OP
L

Luke tomo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 c220 om651
It is a facelift 2011

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
chain rattle seem s to be a relatively common issue on the 651 engine, and the reason I swapped back to Ford from MB (I didn't want chain rattle issues and wanted a manual box so the V6 diesel was out of the question, in RHD at least)

charge movement flap does sound like a swirl flap has broken on cylinder 1, on the face of it, but I couldn't say for certain.

rattling noise when the brake is pressed COULD possibly be a vacuum pump issue. again, as all my MBs were older models, I cant say for certain as ive never had the issue.

OP
L

Luke tomo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 c220 om651
It’s not when it’s pressed they have a hold feture that if you press the brake hard when still it hold the brakes on till you press the accelerator but when this is activated i get a loud metallic rattle sound

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
the brakes are, I believe, held on electronically when the hold is used. whether this uses the vacuum pump or just holds it via not releasing pressure in the ABS pump somehow, I don't know as I'm not familiar with how the system works in that level of detail.

cubbyq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2013 E220 CDI SE Estate
Bit of a curveball, but I was getting a metallic sounding rattle at low engine speed under load, especially when cold, which had me worrying about something like timing chain or exhaust problems.

Turned out to be knackered engine cover grommets, which I found when leaning on it to have a look around under the bonnet - the cover was really wobbly.

Less than a fiver for the parts from MB and a couple minutes to fit, the cover is tight now and the noise has gone.

To check, just grab either side of the cover and try rock it up and down (mine needed no effort before replacement grommets). If it moves easily, the grommets are goosed, if not, at least you can rule that out.

Hope that helps,

Nick

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
Charge movement flap bank one means that something on the inlet air side of the engine has not reached target. It says bank 1 as the programme language also recognises 2 banks for V engines, but as its a 4 cylinder it doesnt apply.

I would be looking for an air leak to start with. Without STAR you have no actuation test or limited live data available.

OP
L

Luke tomo

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W204 c220 om651
I have already fitted all new engine cover grommets as they were none existent, I have read that theses are prone to having a snapped bolt in the manifold to head? And causes Air leaks

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
You are correct, usually snaps cylinder 2 on the underside of the manifold. Like I said earlier, don't guess, get it on STAR and do some proper diagnosis.

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom