C220CDI W203 Battery Spec

MBNuB

Reaction score
Website
www.gyrocopterexperience.com
Your Mercedes
W204 220CDI R172 SLK
At its recent service Mercedes told me my battery is in need of replacement. The car's 6 years old and it's still on its original so I figure it's not doing too badly. But I felt sure I could get a cheaper battery from the Net than from the Dealer.

I just removed the A/C filter to have a look at my current battery and all the markings are gone - just the remnants of the original labels remain.

I've tried mercedes-benz.co.uk but, of course, there's insufficient detail there. Can you advise the spec I should be looking for? I want to verify the details before I buy.

Thanks in anticipation.

delboy777

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 W203, 220CDI Elegance Full Leather/Sat Nav
Buy a Bosch, Varta, Exide etc do not buy a Halfrauds or inhouse battery, aim for 100AH power if you can get it but no less than 95 AH. And while you are at it remember to follow the battery changing procedure found in the DIY section

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
The old battery will have the size on it, as delboy no cheapies, they do not last.

Also as said. read the 203 battery change in the DIY section

OP
MBNuB

MBNuB

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
W204 220CDI R172 SLK
Thank you

Many thanks, guys.
I'm swapping eMails with Tayna now, about which one I need.
I've just supplied them the dimensions.
I'll report back when I've got it.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
Do check the dealer price though (probably with the parts dept rather than service) - some dealers are quite competitive on stuff like this and if they'll change it for you then it saves some potential hassle.

HJHPH

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211 E320 CDI Avantgarde Estate.
At its recent service Mercedes told me my battery is in need of replacement. The car's 6 years old and it's still on its original so I figure it's not doing too badly. But I felt sure I could get a cheaper battery from the Net than from the Dealer.

I just removed the A/C filter to have a look at my current battery and all the markings are gone - just the remnants of the original labels remain.

I've tried mercedes-benz.co.uk but, of course, there's insufficient detail there. Can you advise the spec I should be looking for? I want to verify the details before I buy.

Thanks in anticipation.

I seem to remember a recall on batteries on the W203s, mine was an 02 C220 cdi, I purchased it at 3 years old and the guy had never had it done. I checked with Tony Purslow and they replaced mine as part of the recall. Worth asking I would think.
Paul.

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
I seem to remember a recall on batteries on the W203s, mine was an 02 C220 cdi, I purchased it at 3 years old and the guy had never had it done. I checked with Tony Purslow and they replaced mine as part of the recall. Worth asking I would think.
Paul.

PO32 recall.

Last edited:

Cole@MBS

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.mbssouthampton.co.uk
Your Mercedes
124 300 CE 24 Coupe, C220CDI, Porsche 911 4s, Dolomite sprint,
If memory correct is was cars with the VIN WDC203...2R was on the recall list!!!

delboy777

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 W203, 220CDI Elegance Full Leather/Sat Nav
:mad::mad::mad: Thats my one, im so fed up that i have spent £108 on a new battery when it should have been done before.:(

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
:mad::mad::mad: Thats my one, im so fed up that i have spent £108 on a new battery when it should have been done before.:(

Thats what you call a battery of the pocket

OP
MBNuB

MBNuB

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
W204 220CDI R172 SLK
Choices

Many thanks for all your input.
I still have to check my VIN number against the recall.

Tayna suggest this Numax (never heard of them, although I'm probably doing them a great dis-service) battery.
Capacity - 100Ah
CCA(SAE) - 850A

Their Other Brands tab gives an equivalent Varta
Capacity - 100Ah
CCA(EN) - 830A

I got a Varta Silver from these people for the TT, which is very good.
Didn't Varta used to supply OEM batteries for Merc? Presumably with Merc stickers?

GEORGEROV

Reaction score
Buy a Bosch, Varta, Exide etc do not buy a Halfrauds or inhouse battery, aim for 100AH power if you can get it but no less than 95 AH. And while you are at it remember to follow the battery changing procedure found in the DIY section

It may interest you to know that Halfords basic battery {with 3 year guarantee ) came second in a test by Auto Express , only beaten by a 'glass mat' type battery costing 4 times the price. The test included all the premium makes but the Halfords unit put them in the shade. Listen to the experts who do these tests and not the 'hearsay' against Halfords. I'm not a particular fan of them but their products regularly come high up in motor mag tests.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes

It may interest you to know that Halfords basic battery {with 3 year guarantee ) came second in a test by Auto Express , only beaten by a 'glass mat' type battery costing 4 times the price. The test included all the premium makes but the Halfords unit put them in the shade. Listen to the experts who do these tests and not the 'hearsay' against Halfords. I'm not a particular fan of them but their products regularly come high up in motor mag tests.

Many of us have had bad experiences with their batteries including me, I had 3 fail, each failed after 3 weeks and they argue that it is your car and not the battery

OP
MBNuB

MBNuB

Reaction score
Website
Your Mercedes
W204 220CDI R172 SLK
Halfords

My parents had a Halfords battery fail on them, too.
It was within the warranty period though, so it was at least replaced F.O.C.
Doesn't esxactly leave you with a warm and comfy feeling when you're going out to start a car coverde in a foot of snow, though, does it!

Sounds to me like, of the two options from Tayna, Varta is the fave?

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
My parents had a Halfords battery fail on them, too.
It was within the warranty period though, so it was at least replaced F.O.C.
Doesn't esxactly leave you with a warm and comfy feeling when you're going out to start a car coverde in a foot of snow, though, does it!

Sounds to me like, of the two options from Tayna, Varta is the fave?

You are right,,OK anything can go wrong, thats why we have the guarantee, but I have never had a premium make fail as of yet, the hassle of going back 3 times was the worst,a 60 mile return trip

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom