C230 Kompressor engine stalls... need help!!!

hainesZ

Reaction score
hi there guyz n girlz if there is any here... i am new to the mercedes motors as ive always been a vauxhall man... but i decided to get myself a 1996 C230 Kompressor, i picked it up on monday morning of this week and had no problems up untill today when i decided to replace the blown bulbs on the instrament panel, so i looked it up in the trusted haynes maual and followed the instuctions and it seemed to all be well, but when i reconnected the battery the coolant level indicator light stays lit up ( even though it is full ) and worse of all when i drive it it runs ok, but when i come to stop at lights or junctions it stalls on me but it will tick over ok when stationary... i am stumped... i dont have a clue to what could have caused this but it seems it all happened since i disconnected the battery,
i phoned technical advice at watford mercedes and the technition said the airflow meter might have lost its memory and to try keeping at 2000 rpm for a short period to see if that will sort it, but it did nothing, so he sugested turning the steering full lock both ways with the engine running as it might be somthing to do with the esp... i tried this but no change... he then said id have to bring it in for dianostics, but it wont be cheap... so if anybody has any ideas i would be most appriecated... thanks...

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
sounds like the air flow meter has failed, check the running voltage on your battery first to make sure its at 13.5++++ volts, if its ok then replace the MAF, if its failed with the engine running unplug it, a few seconds later the engine will stall.

jib

BlackC55

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C43
Leave the ignition on for 30-40 seconds to reset the throttle flap.

Then turn off and then re-start. That may sort it.

OP
H

hainesZ

Reaction score
cheers for your replys... the voltage is good from the battery... whats the maf and where is it located?

jibcl500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CL500,ML55,SLK280
yes replace the air flow meter, where the air box is on the left front corner there is two clips holding the MAF in place and plug on the top of it, like I said earlier, unplug it with the engine running if the MAF is dieing the engine will stall once unplugged, new MAF easy to fit and there are people on ebay selling them for aboyt £55 posted.

Where are you ??
jib

OP
H

hainesZ

Reaction score
thankyou for your help... the airflow meter is on the right side of my engine down by the abs pump, not on the air box its the supercharger bypass valve fitted to the airbox... now i managed to get it running ok just by extendeng the throttle linkage to get it to tick over better... but the coolant level light still remains on constantly even though the water is full... any sugestions? many thanks....

Last edited:

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Is your car a 202, can we have the first six VIN numbers

G MAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
380 slc 1981
I think you may have mistaken the coolant level light with the engine management warning light, which will have come on permanently due to the problems you have been experiencing.It is yellow & is an engine symbol whereas I think the coolant level is a radiator symbol witha wavy water line through it! Hope this helps, if you've solved your problems you will still need to clear the fault codes on a Star diagnostic in order to extinguish the warning light. (& the codes may reveal what your real underlying problem is)

OP
H

hainesZ

Reaction score
thanks malcolm... the first digits are 43R-001352, does this help? and what is 202?

OP
H

hainesZ

Reaction score
g-man the light is a yellow rodiator sign with the water level in it... not engine managment

G MAN

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
380 slc 1981
That's good then to eliminate that possibility; sadly I can't throw any more light on what is causing this particular problem bar a faulty sensor.

anyweb

Reaction score
Website
www.niallbrady.com
Your Mercedes
c238,w120 (diesel)
g-man the light is a yellow rodiator sign with the water level in it... not engine managment

well if it's like my radiator, then the reserve tank sits directly on TOP of the radiator, and must be filled until absolutely no more water/coolant can go in (the level does drop after a few seconds)

double check that the coolant/water level is at the top of the radiator reserve tank

cheers
anyweb

busby20

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SLK's 2, CLK320 Cabriolet.
My old C Class (1996) had the same problem with the radiator warning level - even though it had been fitted with a new radiator. It's usually the sensor that sits on the top of the radiator. If the radiator is ok, just temporarily disconnect the little plug that's attached to the sensor - this will stop the annoying dash warning symbol - until you can replace the faulty sensor.:D

Top Bottom