C250 TD Noisy cold start Part 2

G

Griz

Hi everyone
For those who did`nt read the first part:

The other day I had the lid up to check the engine oil first thing in the morning and I started the engine to warm it up before going out and I noticed a noise at the front of the engine (timing chest area) it lasted for about 90 ish seconds then suddenly stopped. Since then I always cold start with the bonnet up and it always makes the same noise? It sound a bit like regular timing chain rattle as though the chain tensioner is`nt working, but there is no noise from the tappets so oil pressure must be ok

The conclusion:

I thougt it may well be mercedes death rattle i.e. something serious, but it turned out (thanks to MB Lincoln) to be the `o`rings on the fuel pipes to and from the fuel filter mounted on the engine. They go hard with age and crack thus allowing air into the system making the idle sound rough until the fuel pressure has built up again.

A few pennies worth of `o`rings sorted that one out. Mind MB wanted to fit a new filter housing £167 ! I should coco !!!!

As a member of ourMercedes Owners' club, you will enjoy numerous savings on an expanding range of services including, Insurance, Parts and Servicing, RAC Membership plus much more.MBOmembers can save around £200.00 a year. You can join from as little as £30.00 and start to enjoy these savings immediately. You receive our monthly magazine and free classified ads when you decide to trade up a model.
Top Bottom