C250TD difficult to start first thing

darkchild101

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C250 TD/1997/2.5litre
W202 model. When I start the car first time it takes forever to start regardless of time of the day or how warm it is outside. Actually drained a battery a few days ago. Once it has started subsequent starts during the day are without incident and it fires up at first turn of the key. I have noticed after the first start and if I drive a very short distance sometimes its a pain to start again

Help please

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
does the glow plug light go off and STAY off when you try to start it, even first thing? if it comes back on, it could be a glow plug relay or faulty glow plugs.

HOWEVER it does sound like you may have the common 'O' ring issue. the unions on the plastic fuel lines have rubber 'O' rings sealing them which, over time, go hard and flat, dont seal as they should and you end up with air in the fuel lines which can also give similar symptoms (cranks for ages but wont start) replacing the seals (all of them) usually cures the problem

silestanix

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
97' C250TD Sport
does the glow plug light go off and STAY off when you try to start it, even first thing? if it comes back on, it could be a glow plug relay or faulty glow plugs.

HOWEVER it does sound like you may have the common 'O' ring issue. the unions on the plastic fuel lines have rubber 'O' rings sealing them which, over time, go hard and flat, dont seal as they should and you end up with air in the fuel lines which can also give similar symptoms (cranks for ages but wont start) replacing the seals (all of them) usually cures the problem

This ^ +1

robparker

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
220d (115), 190d (201), c63 (204), 220ce (124)
I changed them all on my brothers c250td recently, cost about £60 total for everything from MB

Top Bottom