C350e - problem with charging cable

maddog167

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350e 2017
I have a C350e, just over a month old and approx 2000 miles.

I've been reasonably happy with it, although the range on the battery is disappointing (as mentioned on various other threads on this forum). I've been charging the battery every night at home. I don't have a high speed charge point so I'm using the standard 13A plug.

This has been working fine until last night when I plugged in the cable to the mains socket and it made a clicking noise and the lights on the cable did not come on. This was before I'd even plugged the cable into car. Given the clicking noise I didn't want to risk plugging it into the car.

I've reported this to the local Meredes-Benz dealer, they said it's a warranty issue and I have to book the car in for a full vehicle inspection. The earliest available appointment is in 2 weeks time.

This seems crazy to me - it's obvious that the problem is with the cable so the vehicle inspection seems totally unnecessary. In the mean time I have to run the car on petrol only, which is expensive and frustrating.

Has anyone else with the C350e experienced this problem with the charging cable?

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Sorry can't help on this...but we heard you the first time though !

OP
M

maddog167

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350e 2017
I can only see the thread once. Is it posted twice?

OP
M

maddog167

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350e 2017
I cannot find a way to delete the duplicate threads. Possibly as my status is "New Member" I don't have that privilege.
Can anyone enlighten me?

stwat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1989 300SE
Only admin can delete threads.
One will be along soon. :)

OP
M

maddog167

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350e 2017
Just in case anyone else encounters the same problem:
I had to book the car into the local dealer for a vehicle inspection - 2 week waiting list in my case. This seemed pointless to me, as the problem was obviously with the cable and not the car. However everyone I spoke to at Mercedes-Benz insisted that the only way to get the problem resolved under warranty was to book it in for the full vehicle inspection.
Once I actually got it to the dealer, they predictably concluded within about 10 minutes that the problem was the cable. They ordered a replacement cable for me, which arrived next day.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Just in case anyone else encounters the same problem:
I had to book the car into the local dealer for a vehicle inspection - 2 week waiting list in my case. This seemed pointless to me, as the problem was obviously with the cable and not the car. However everyone I spoke to at Mercedes-Benz insisted that the only way to get the problem resolved under warranty was to book it in for the full vehicle inspection.
Once I actually got it to the dealer, they predictably concluded within about 10 minutes that the problem was the cable. They ordered a replacement cable for me, which arrived next day.
Pathetic

Jardern

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 e sport estate
I have a C350e, just over a month old and approx 2000 miles.

I've been reasonably happy with it, although the range on the battery is disappointing (as mentioned on various other threads on this forum). I've been charging the battery every night at home. I don't have a high speed charge point so I'm using the standard 13A plug.

This has been working fine until last night when I plugged in the cable to the mains socket and it made a clicking noise and the lights on the cable did not come on. This was before I'd even plugged the cable into car. Given the clicking noise I didn't want to risk plugging it into the car.

I've reported this to the local Meredes-Benz dealer, they said it's a warranty issue and I have to book the car in for a full vehicle inspection. The earliest available appointment is in 2 weeks time.

This seems crazy to me - it's obvious that the problem is with the cable so the vehicle inspection seems totally unnecessary. In the mean time I have to run the car on petrol only, which is expensive and frustrating.

Has anyone else with the C350e experienced this problem with the charging cable?
Just had exactly same problem with my type 1 charging cable. Started to play up over the weekend. Now got the red triangle of death. Fortunately got it booked in for diagnostics next Thursday. Bad design to be honest have kept the charger box off the ground as much as possible to stop water penetration. Bad design.

OP
M

maddog167

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350e 2017
Just had exactly same problem with my type 1 charging cable. Started to play up over the weekend. Now got the red triangle of death. Fortunately got it booked in for diagnostics next Thursday. Bad design to be honest have kept the charger box off the ground as much as possible to stop water penetration. Bad design.

Sorry to hear that Jardern but yes, I agree it's a bad design. Since my original post in June 2017, I've actually had another cable fail so I'm now on my third Type 1 charger cable in less than a year.

The biggest issue I have with it is that Mercedes insist that I have to bring the car to a dealer for a full vehicle inspection before they will replace the cable. This is because this is a warranty issue, apparently, and their warranty process mandates a full vehicle inspection. This is a complete waste of time and effort, both for the dealer and for me, when the problem is obviously a cable failure. Mercedes need to adapt their warranty process for a "quick fix" to check the cable and replace it if faulty without the need to perform a full vehicle inspection.

Steve@Avantgarde

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.avantgarde-automotive.co.uk
Your Mercedes
E300 Coupe AMG Line PP/NE, SLR McLaren Roadster, SL55 & C32AMG
This is why EV can be so frustrating and where the tech needs to improve. A simple task of filling it up can become and absolute nightmare.

Jardern

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 e sport estate
Sorry to hear that Jardern but yes, I agree it's a bad design. Since my original post in June 2017, I've actually had another cable fail so I'm now on my third Type 1 charger cable in less than a year.

The biggest issue I have with it is that Mercedes insist that I have to bring the car to a dealer for a full vehicle inspection before they will replace the cable. This is because this is a warranty issue, apparently, and their warranty process mandates a full vehicle inspection. This is a complete waste of time and effort, both for the dealer and for me, when the problem is obviously a cable failure. Mercedes need to adapt their warranty process for a "quick fix" to check the cable and replace it if faulty without the need to perform a full vehicle inspection.
That's a bit disconcerting! I only got mine in September. Fortunately it's a lease car so I won't have an issue after 3 years as it'll go back. I'll update my post when I've got a resolution next week! Hopefully. They'll be getting a Bill for my time if it continues warranty requirements or not!

Xtractorfan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S class
I have been told by a parts guy that warranty and some service schedules including recalls have to be plugged in online for MB and BMW to determine the need for parts.

Jardern

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 e sport estate
Not surprised. Standard procedure with most manufacturers these days. Due to them all being franchised. Had the same issue with a recurrent problem with my Nissan gtr

GAD was founded in 2009 where we developed bespoke ECU Remapping software for motorsport clients, moving forward, we have extended to road vehicles for both performance and economy,
contact GAD Tuninghttp://www.GADTuning.co.ukto discuss your requirements.
Top Bottom