Can a retrofitted factory option be linked to the car's VIN?

brandwooddixon

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S63 Coupe 2014
I was having a conversation with my neighbour's son regarding retrofitting factory options to his Golf, during which he asked me whether it is possible to have the option registered against the car's VIN so that it would show as a fitted option if anyone used a VIN decoder.
I honestly couldn't tell him, and admittedly any answer may differ between manufacturers, but is this possible?

malcolm E53 AMG

Reaction score
The build list dictates what’s on the VIN and this is set to the vehicle order data so I wouldn’t think so

SJMaxwell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2016 SL63
You can do this for some options on Mercedes at a price involving hardware and software updates. For example, I had Android Auto coded and added to my SL63, which is now part of the spec.

Someone like Comand Online would be able to advise, but you do have to bear in mind that some hardware can be quite pricey and some coding can take some time and cost!

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
I suppose it depends on how old the car is as to whether it makes any difference.
In the day I'd have had a MKIII Cortina XL/GT/GXL/2000E ..... ;)

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
In effect you are updating the build sheet from MB. It ultimately depends if they would allow that.
Insurance co go by the VIN if you need to make a claim. So they would need to be notified.

ian lunn

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
B CLASS, E CLASS CONVERTABLE
In effect you are updating the build sheet from MB. It ultimately depends if they would allow that.
Insurance co go by the VIN if you need to make a claim. So they would need to be notified.
At which point they have an excuss to bump up the price of next years price.

Welwyn Merx Limited is a family run business with genuine passion, dedication and 25 years of experience dealing with Mercedes-Benz and AMG passenger cars.
Tel: 01707 395999www.welwynmerx.uk
Top Bottom