Can i change the front and rear lights?

Keane Feehan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180d AMG Line
I have recently purchased a 67 plate A180d AMG Line. I didnt have the option to add any of the packages at all so it is just the base 2017 AMG Line.

I was wondering whether i could swap the front and rear lights from the stock, to the premium pack lights? They look the same size and all but i cant seem to find any online at all to purchase seperately. I think the premium pack lights look 100x times better.

Also, on a side note. Is anyone aware of any small modifications i can make to the car to make it sound a bit more racey or look a bit sharper. I believe an air filter may add some sound improvements but just looking to see if thats right or not?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Bear in mind anything you do may impact your warranty - especially non-MB spec air filters.

Mr Filipov

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 BMW 535d Gran Turismo
Just out of curiosity, how comes you were not able to add any packages?

As for mods I am with LostKiwi on this one. Last thing you want is something going wrong, new car or not, and Mercedes telling you that the warranty is not valid anymore.

OP
K

Keane Feehan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180d AMG Line
Just out of curiosity, how comes you were not able to add any packages?

As for mods I am with LostKiwi on this one. Last thing you want is something going wrong, new car or not, and Mercedes telling you that the warranty is not valid anymore.

There were just no packages and colors etc. that i wanted available, in the time i needed the car to be delivered.

However im not really too worries about the warranty, just want to know if it is possible and if so, what options there are with what outcomes.

Mr Filipov

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 BMW 535d Gran Turismo
I am not sure what kind of lights you got at the moment. If they are filament bulbs and you want the xenon/led lights then that is bound to be a nightmare and by far not worth the money it will cost you.

OP
K

Keane Feehan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180d AMG Line
I would be changing to the xenon/led ones if i could. But fair enough. What about the filters etc?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
On the air filters its a diesel so will struggle to sound sporty no matter whats fitted. To try it remove the filter (thats the extreme end of how it would sound with a different filter).

OP
K

Keane Feehan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180d AMG Line
I did think that would be the case to be honest. Thanks

Philip1972

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Convertible
Halogen to LED/Xenon should just be a software flash. Did it myself on a Discovery.

You just need to tell the car what you have fitted.

The car controls the lights, not the other way round.

OP
K

Keane Feehan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180d AMG Line
Halogen to LED/Xenon should just be a software flash. Did it myself on a Discovery.

Cool, Thank you!

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)

whilst that is true, when you move away from halogens you also need self levelling systems for the headlights (the manual control on the dash will NOT suffice) and headlight washers in order to be legal. then theres any possible insurance implications as its a modification that wasn't fitted to the car at the factory......

OP
K

Keane Feehan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
A180d AMG Line
whilst that is true, when you move away from halogens you also need self levelling systems for the headlights (the manual control on the dash will NOT suffice) and headlight washers in order to be legal. then theres any possible insurance implications as its a modification that wasn't fitted to the car at the factory......

Looking like more hassle than reward

Philip1972

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Convertible

Strictly speaking thats true, but you only need the need the washers if the lights emit over a certain level of lumens. I cant remember what that limit is, but some cars have LEDS now, and do not have washers. Most Xenons do need them, but LEDs need less lumens to work as well as Xenon.

Re the levellers, my Disco had them anyway.

But, most MOT folk just check the light work, and do not test the levellers.

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
You can expect the MoT to be tightened up significantly soon.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Rules have changed again and washers are no longer required at all. Levelling is.

Philip1972

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E350 CDI Convertible
For clarity

"It is a widespread fallacy that headlamp washers are only compulsory for xenon lights. This is wrong on several counts. The latest generation of xenon, the 25-Watt version, doesn’t actually need one at all. Meanwhile, halogen and LED headlamps do need one if their light sources emit more than 2000 lumens. Indeed, this is required for ECE approval. (Under the DOT regulations in North America headlamp washers are not mandatory at all.) These do not refer specifically to xenon, but as no approved halogen lamp exceeds this threshold value and as this also is the case with most LED systems, only xenon headlamps are, in fact, affected in practice. They emit around 3000 lumens."

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Your insurance provider might have some input if you ever make a claim and they find out that there are modifications from the standard spec. Worth bearing in mind.

If first MB says 'sorry, no warranty' then the insurer says 'sorry, no cover', you might find Mr. Plod wanting a word also. Stranger things have happened!

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Headlamp cleaners are only required over 2000lm as of May of this year for new build cars. Moving from HAL ==> LED will require a new Body Control Module (not a software flash- it’s a firmware difference) and besides which your car’s VIN is homologated to halogen so you immediately fall foul of the as- built regs.

Changing air filters away from OEM will just help to knacker the engine more quickly...

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
i pretty happy with my lights as is and frankly talk of modules reqired to run another kind of light ,is just one step into further complications that i am happy, delighted to avoid...............this site and those on it have provided some illumination on a subject i will certainly be trying to avoid on my next car purchase.cheers guys.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom