Canbus compatible LED side lights for 2014 Sprinter

St0ker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sprinter 313CDI
Can anyone recommend a source of Canbus compatible LED side lights for 2014 Sprinter? I've already tried some off Ebay that were supposed to be Canbus Error Free but they turned out not to be.

Many Thanks

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 vito 113 CDI OM651 W639 panel van
Its hit or miss with them I find, Even good brands throw up errors now and again.

Snake Charmer

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S211 E320 CDI 2004
Try wiring the original bulbs in parallel or fit load resistors. The car needs to see a certain current draw/resistance.

Reactions: DSK
OP
S

St0ker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sprinter 313CDI
Try wiring the original bulbs in parallel or fit load resistors. The car needs to see a certain current draw/resistance.
Many Thanks for your reply but I wouldn't know how to do either of those things.

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
I tried a few of these pricey LED side lights on my cls 219. The only way they would work reliably is to fit resistors, which get so hot and within a cramped area and other wiring, I was not happy, so threw the lot in the bin and fitted normal halogen bulbs.

Seriously it’s not worth hassle, just get some Osram cool blue or similar halogen units and be done with it in 2 minutes and reliably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
As above don't bother. It's not worth the hassle.
It's also classed as a modification which means the insurance company needs to be informed.

OP
S

St0ker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sprinter 313CDI
Many Thanks for all the replies.

The van had LED sidelights installed when I bought it but every time I switch on the lights I get 2 messages about the parking lights. I've tried installing ordinary W5W bulbs and they do clear the messages but are a lot dimmer than the LEDs. I guess I'll just put up with the messages.

DSK

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLS 320 CDI, S350 Bluetec
Just be sure they don’t flicker or blip on/off randomly which may not be obvious straight away even if observing for a few moments.

OP
S

St0ker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sprinter 313CDI
Just be sure they don’t flicker or blip on/off randomly which may not be obvious straight away even if observing for a few moments.

Many thanks I'll check that out.

w204benz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2012 C200CDI AMG Sport
Mine also had LED sidelights fitted by a previous owner. No markings on them, so no idea of the brand, but the resistors on the circuit board put about 130 Ohms across the power pins, and this seemed to have been enough to prevent any Canbus errors.

A couple of things I've noticed though, at least on my car:

The resistors draw enough current that you won't get any warnings if the LEDs fail.

But the LEDs also don't use enough power for the "sidelights on" indicator on the dashboard to light up - in fact I didn't even know it was there until I turned all the lights on with a diagnostics tool. Although I haven't found it to be a big deal as the instrument backlight comes on with the sidelights anyway, and I haven't noticed the Auto setting ever turning on the sidelights on their own.

VitoVanMan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vito 2005 115 CDI W639, Saab 93 TiD
I have tried numerous types of so called LED compatible side light bulbs only for them to fail.
Many of them are slightly bigger in diameter, they go into the hole in the bulb holder, but when you come to retract them, being slightly bigger, drop into the head lamp unit never to be seen again and just rattle.
Are your side light bulbs R501 W5W?
I use " Philips X-tremeVision Pro 150 W5W" and these are extremely bright and much brighter than standard and don't dazzle like LED's.
You can get a double blister pack from Amazon for 6 quid, delivered tomorrow.

OP
S

St0ker

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sprinter 313CDI
I have tried numerous types of so called LED compatible side light bulbs only for them to fail.
Many of them are slightly bigger in diameter, they go into the hole in the bulb holder, but when you come to retract them, being slightly bigger, drop into the head lamp unit never to be seen again and just rattle.
Are your side light bulbs R501 W5W?
I use " Philips X-tremeVision Pro 150 W5W" and these are extremely bright and much brighter than standard and don't dazzle like LED's.
You can get a double blister pack from Amazon for 6 quid, delivered tomorrow.
Many thanks for the info. Really useful.

Kev555

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2011 vito 113 CDI OM651 W639 panel van
Must get a set of those myself, thanks Vito man

VitoVanMan

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Vito 2005 115 CDI W639, Saab 93 TiD
No worries Kev.
If you get these Philips side light bulbs, why not compliment them with a couple of Philips X-tremeVision PRO 150 H7 bulbs for your main beam. These are a match for any LED bulb. They are available at Amazon.
I started on Main beam and will do Full beam and fog lights when the normal ones give up the ghost.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom