1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cannot open roof "close boot separator" error

Discussion in 'Bodywork, Tyres, Wheels & Trim' started by Yukko, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Yukko

Yukko New Member

Your Mercedes:
    A207 2011 E250
    Hello

Tried to lower the roof yesterday but got a "close boot separator" error message. Looking in the boot, boot separator is stuck in a horizontal position. I'm sure it should be vertical. Quick investigation and somehow (!) the boot separator has popped off the right hand-side spindle thingy (?) and is now loose. Does anyone know how to put it back on?

Many Thanks

2. Dale Minton

Dale Minton Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    SL55 AMG & BMW ALPINA D10 BiTurbo
    If you have a SL R230 or SLK the boot separator is supposed to be closed to allow the roof the open and close. You pull separator out toward to rear so it is fully extended and insert the male spigots that stick out either side at the rear of the separator into the female recesses that are fixed and attached to the inside of the boot area either side near the back - it should be obvious, as you click them in they push down on little angled switches. These micro-switches know the separator has been extended and inserted which will allow the roof the operate. Do you have an instruction manual? How long have you owned this car??

Last edited: Jan 3, 2017
  3. OP
    Yukko

Yukko New Member

Your Mercedes:
    A207 2011 E250
    Hello Dale - thanks for responding!

It's a E250 CDI A207 2011, had it for month and just getting used to it. I suspect it's a common problem and one that I am keen to rectify without too much pain or cost. I have attached some pictures to show where the boot separator should attached itself (it seems the other way round, the spigot is on the boot and should insert into the boot separator).

There are 2 bolts attaching spigot to car - should I undo these to remove, insert into boot separator then reassemble? Is it that easy?

Thanks and Regards

Attached Files:

4. Dale Minton

Dale Minton Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    SL55 AMG & BMW ALPINA D10 BiTurbo
    I'm sorry but I can't help you on this this one, I am not familiar with this particular model and where the problem may lie, Hopefully someone else will pick up this thread.

Best
    Dale.

5. OP
    Yukko

Yukko New Member

Your Mercedes:
    A207 2011 E250
    All sorted, removed spigot/spindle housing, inserted into boot separator then reassembled. Hood now working.

6. ellgeorgy

ellgeorgy New Registration

Your Mercedes:
    e250 convertible 2012
    sorry could you say that again? i am now facing this same issue with my e250 2012 convertible...

isnt it a case of just re-hooking something back onto the peg/pin? or is this a screwdriver/wrench kinda of job....?

7. Mike350

Mike350 Active Member

Your Mercedes:
    350 2004 3.7 V6
    I’ve photo’d the left hand side of the roof separator on my SL, you’ll see that when it’s closed the male spigot engages with the female bracket which in turn houses the micro switch, which when properly engaged allows the roof to be lowered or raised accordingly. Make sure that both sides are completely clipped in, otherwise nothing will happen! Hope that helps

Attached Files:

8. Mic

Mic Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    MB SL500(2003), MB SLK320(2001), Volvo V70 XC AWD(2001)
    Mike......for future reference it is the off side only that houses the micro switch.

Mic

9. Mike350

Mike350 Active Member

Your Mercedes:
    350 2004 3.7 V6
    Thanks so much Mic, I had no idea, that’s what I like so much about the forum is the great advice you get and learn something new every day!

10. Gkinghorn

Gkinghorn Senior Member

Your Mercedes:
    E350 CDI Cabriolet - 2011
    if the posts above dont help i can take a photo of my E Cab (2011) to show this i think ... let me know