Can't help but be impressed

Jasandjules

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C300 Estate (s205)
440 miles in two days in wind, rain and all round naff weather. Yet the car took it all in her stride and I still feel quite fresh despite spending over 5 hours per day behind the wheel.

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
Crappy time of year to go anywhere, my car is a garage queen at moment as retirement allows me to decide if I go out, plus the wipers are pants.

What car are you driving?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol
Crappy time of year to go anywhere, my car is a garage queen at moment as retirement allows me to decide if I go out, plus the wipers are pants.

What car are you driving?

Looks like a C300 Estate. Petrol Hybrid? Might be interesting to know what the MPG was on that trip.

Ernie

EmilysDad

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ML350
440 miles in two days in wind, rain and all round naff weather. Yet the car took it all in her stride and I still feel quite fresh despite spending over 5 hours per day behind the wheel.

I used to collect EmilysMum's aunty from Edinburgh ..... set off at 7, get there for 11, have a bit of dinner (lunch for you southerners ;)) & then set off for home again. That was in my Omega V6 ..... more comfy than my R Class

Headhurts

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes GLC300 2021
Looks like a C300 Estate. Petrol Hybrid? Might be interesting to know what the MPG was on that trip.

Ernie

Thanks Ernie, could not see it via Tapatalk, no idea why I use it to be honest.

Laziness possibly.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
I used to collect EmilysMum's aunty from Edinburgh ..... set off at 7, get there for 11, have a bit of dinner (lunch for you southerners ;)) & then set off for home again. That was in my Omega V6 ..... more comfy than my R Class

Now there was a great car!
Had the diesel auto version (bmw based), and criss crossed Europe many times in it.
Quiet, very comfortable, well equipped, and a marvellous mile eater.
We have memories of putting over 600 miles in a day with that machine.
That's one of the few cars I wish I hadn't sold.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
Funny how GM never seem to recognise when they've got something really class leading. I had a couple of Cavalier SRi's - well equipped, nicely styled for the time and hardly anything as fast on the roads. A couple of guys in my work team had Omegas and loved them and meanwhile the Senator emerged - they both seemed to be very well established but they seemed to just fade away.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
Now there was a great car!
Had the diesel auto version (bmw based), and criss crossed Europe many times in it.
Quiet, very comfortable, well equipped, and a marvellous mile eater.
We have memories of putting over 600 miles in a day with that machine.
That's one of the few cars I wish I hadn't sold.
I had a 3ltr Elite, what a pleasure to drive that car. Still love my 'C' class though :)

Craiglxviii

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
970 Panamera Turbo; W221 S500L AMG Line, C215 CL500, W251 R350L AMG Line, plus several more now gone
Summer 2016 saw us drive to Frejus in the south of France; finish work Friday afternoon, drive to Chunnel, get 5.50 departure; drive from Calais to St. Quentin to stay overnight. Then up to leave 0730 next morning and drive 11 hours straight through to the south coast. I was expecting to be in agony after that mammoth haul but I was as fresh as a daisy!

OP
J

Jasandjules

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C300 Estate (s205)

Ernie
Yes a C300 but diesel hybrid. Got about 51 mpg overall, not quite the 68 quoted !

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Yes a C300 but diesel hybrid. Got about 51 mpg overall, not quite the 68 quoted !
Which isn’t bad. I had the E300 diesel Hybrid a few years ago - same engine - that was about the average I managed. I did get 62/63 ish when I tried really hard pottering along quiet A Roads at 55-60ish MPH...

OP
J

Jasandjules

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C300 Estate (s205)
Which isn’t bad. I had the E300 diesel Hybrid a few years ago - same engine - that was about the average I managed. I did get 62/63 ish when I tried really hard pottering along quiet A Roads at 55-60ish MPH...
Yes I am content with 50mpg on a run as that matches the Passat (actually is a touch better) but I get a lot more speed and toys with the Mercedes. I also expect (perhaps optimistic) that come summer I will get a slightly better return.

ernieh

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Audi Q2 Sport, 2022, 1.5 Petrol

OK, sorry, got that wrong! So the C350 must be the petrol version then. I wish MB would do something different to distinguish between them for us 'old school' drivers!
Agree 51MPG is reasonable by any standard, but I recently saw 54 (C220 Blutec) on a run to Aberdeen and the Coast. I guess the real benefit of the hybrid is for local running using the batteries, rather than on longer trips which largely involve the engine.

As a matter of interest, does anybody have any 'realworld' MPG figures for the C350, or even the equivalent E Class?

ERnie

OP
J

Jasandjules

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C300 Estate (s205)
She also seems to use the batteries when on a motorway/straight A road as the numbers come down - suspect it uses them to power lights, heated seats and whatnot as well to reduce engine strain... And if you are in the right engine mode when you stop at a roundabout etc she will switch to batteries then too as you potter.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
She also seems to use the batteries when on a motorway/straight A road as the numbers come down - suspect it uses them to power lights, heated seats and whatnot as well to reduce engine strain... And if you are in the right engine mode when you stop at a roundabout etc she will switch to batteries then too as you potter.
They do the ‘sailing’ thing when youre on a long straight or slight downslope when you take your foot off the loud pedal too, everything powers off the engine and you’re coasting with no clutch or drag...
Weird to see the rev counter drop the first few times you do it!

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
I had a couple of Cavalier SRi's - well equipped, nicely styled for the time and hardly anything as fast on the roads.

I also had the misfortune to own a Cavalier SRi. The most uncomfortable drivers seat I ever had the displeasure of sitting in.
Should have had a far longer test drive and I'd have realised. Had to drive to Gatwick one morning and got out halfway there as my ar$e cheeks had lost all feeling in them.
They were quick, but horrible understeer. Sold that for Sapphire RS Cosworth.

davemercedes

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2007 Merc 220 CDi Est Auto Av (s203)
I also had the misfortune to own a Cavalier SRi. The most uncomfortable drivers seat I ever had the displeasure of sitting in.
Should have had a far longer test drive and I'd have realised. Had to drive to Gatwick one morning and got out halfway there as my ar$e cheeks had lost all feeling in them.
They were quick, but horrible understeer. Sold that for Sapphire RS Cosworth.

Funny... mine had "Recaro" seats that VM were fitting as standard by then. I could drive from London to Manchester without stopping (can't do that without spending a penny these days!) and my back didn't hurt at all. The previous car I inherited - a 2-Litre Cavalier went like s*** off a shovel but backache was a major issue.

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
I had a 3ltr Elite, what a pleasure to drive that car. Still love my 'C' class though :)

Snap. Mine was a 3.2 though. Loved that car and was great for some tail action in inclement weather.

I was once left for dead in my Omega by a 4ltr Jeep which wasn't too pleasing !! :(

I got my hoop handed to me by a Lexus 4x4 on the Autobahn. I blamed it on the wrong gear at the wrong time

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom