Car hire in Spain

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 '63 E350 coupe amg sport
IMG_0345.PNG All,
Just been told about silly cheap car hire deals here in Spain...
The usual snag is insurance is sky high, however, a regular visitor here buys independent 90 day limited duration annual cover (full accident £50 excess) approx £30-40/pa.
And whilst he has to leave a credit card surity with the hire firm, has always had no issues - including a minor bump where he claimed back the hire firms €1500 charge.
He says the golden rule is to stand your ground and NOT use the hire companies insurance...
Seems too good to be true I know, but thought I would share.
Advice is to set it up in advance and be 100% compliant with the t's & c's and read them fully!

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C220CDI W204 Elegance Comand
I always go local.

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Sol cars menorca - 385 euros for 7 days hire in August of an automatic Chevrolet Aveo. Manual would be even cheaper, nearer 300.

No waiting at desks with a queue of 100 other people, then wandering up and down the car park looking at a 100 identical cars trying to find yours.

They meet you at departures and walk you to the car. That alone is worth it for me.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
I never use the local car hire firms, always go with one of the big names Avis, Sixt, Hertz, etc. The last time I used a local company they took the 2000 euro security deposit off my credit card and then took 3 weeks to refund it. in the meantime I had a credit card statement to pay with the charge on it!

OP
Frosty149

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I never use the local car hire firms, always go with one of the big names Avis, Sixt, Hertz, etc. The last time I used a local company they took the 2000 euro security deposit off my credit card and then took 3 weeks to refund it. in the meantime I had a credit card statement to pay with the charge on it!
Last year I booked through a big co. and they had subbed it on to a local small operator, who refused to recognise the pre-booked insurance and hit me with a huge extra cost.
The prebooked insurance refunded on the day, but it still left me well out of pocket and feeling conned!

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
Google all the big names and "hire car scam" and you will see they are all at it. My recommendation from recent experience is:

1) https://www.carhireexcess.co.uk/ very cheap seperate insurance for a year
2) take credit card allow them to block insurance and refuse their own insurance - they'll do a hard sell
3) current trick is "we check it in our own time" when you hand it back and they don't mark it with you when you pick it up Don't fall for that, if they wont check it with you then just scribble over every panel on the car and say tpo your eyes it's all damaged. On return refuse to leave until they sign it for no damage. I did this and they refunded the damage charge they took immediately once they saw it - they obviously thought i had just left it for them to check like everyone else. I had insurance but that would have been a hassle.
4) Don't believe you are protected by your credit card company. They are not interested and just say you authorised it by signing the contract and it's nothing to do with them

With the above you can get really cheap deals in Spain (and other countries). Just a shame they've all adopted a business model that means they have to try and scam some customers to make it profitable. Last year both in UK/Spain I hired 6 cars for a week each and paid less than six pounds a day average - you can't rent a bike for that so no wonder they try to get more for damages and you can't trust them!

bembo449

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Mercedes Cl500, shitron dispatch
I used delpaso 3 years ago but the last twice ive used firefox , 40 quid for 7 days all in

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes

Never had a problem in the 6 times I've gone local. And I've never had to pay a deposit that big either.

flowrider

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 (R230)
Never had a problem in the 6 times I've gone local. And I've never had to pay a deposit that big either.
If I remember correctly it was Goldcar.

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Ah.

I've used solcars and poppycars, on Menorca.

Rory

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C270CDi Avantgarde Estate. Bought 2005, sold 2022.
For Malaga, PistonHeads recommended a local company - http://www.benalmadenacars.net/index.html . Used them to organise a car for my daughter's trip last July. Reasonable all-in price, met at arrivals, drop-off at departures. Decent car, fuel policy was 'bring it back about the same' - no damage hassles.

Flyinspanner

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK320-A209 (sold CL500 & W168)
I bought an annual worldwide car hire excess insurance via moneysavingsexpert website, it pays for itself on your first hiring. (Useful as I rent cars frequently abroad.)
:)

R W

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 E320cdi/ Sclass 2012 350cdi
On a recent visit to Spain I pre-booked a Corsa + paid a 64pounds for insurance through rentalcars. Car was rented from Budget/Avis. At the checkin desk I was asked 3 times to upgrade (at extra cost)& I refused saying I was quite happy with the Corsa. They then gave me an Audi Q2 for the same price. Gave me a document to sign that read I was to pay 390euro insurance. I refused the insurance as I had previously paid for insurance. When I returned home I found they had deducted 133euro from my credit card. I was back in Spain the following week & asked at the desk what the charge was & it was a charge for canceling the insurance. I have written to complain but no reply.

OP
Frosty149

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'm no expert but, perhaps speak to your card provider, probably won't go far, but worth a try?
The point of hire insurance scamming seems rife, particularly in Euroland!:mad:
Good luck with it, and let us know how they respond (if they do!!)

R W

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2001 E320cdi/ Sclass 2012 350cdi
rentalcars were very good in responding to emails & gave me 60euro refund( the amount I paid them for insurance). It was Budget/Avis that have done the scam. I have sent 2 emails to them without a reply. I am sure there is some insurance ombudsman or similar I will contact if I done get a reply from Budget. How can they deduct 133euro for canceling insurance that was not set up in the first place.

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Used Ownerscars in Minorca couple of weeks ago, used my annual Europe excess insurance no problems

00slk

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL55 AMG, 2005 E320 CDi, 2014 SLK250 CDi, 2003 SLK200
What a load of lazy people!!!! Hiring cars to get around on holiday and business trips I don't know what's the world coming to?
We walk when we go to such places, 11miles we walked while in Corfu and that was just one day of walking (we were so glad to stumble upon a Taverea in the blazing heat :D) Mind you we were glad for our bed that night too!
Some times we will catch the public transport or worse still, taxi :shock: to get around if we have taken on too much with the walk but not often :(
Dear oh dear oh me, hiring cars............:p Where's my coat, going for a walk......................:)

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I only hired for 2 days from 14 Peter honest!!
Waste of time and money it was too to be honest - you're right!
I have to for business mind...
In the US you can't even cross the road if you don't have a rental!

Yugguy

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Just come back from menorca. Mate booked thru Europa, 45 minutes in the queue only to not get the car they wanted.

Me, Sol cars, met at arrivals, walked to car, keys, 5 minutes.

Top Bottom