ChrisKnottIns

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisknott.co.uk
Your Mercedes
na
There have been a couple of items in the news in recent days about the cost of car insurance...

One claiming that comprehensive car insurance premiums rose on average by 14% (£95) during 2016 and the other that men still pay more than women even though gender equality rules state insurers can't specifically use gender as a rating factor.

Of course, on the question of gender there are other risk factors that produce the result - men tend to cover more miles and are more likely to drive for work, have sportier cars and more motoring convictions. Those are each rated on for all drivers, so gender doesn't specifically feature.

Nevertheless, these headlines highlight the need to get a competitive quote at renewal. At Chris Knott Insurance we're always happy to quote you, even if it's just so you can benchmark your existing cover and price.

It worked really well for this member of the Yeti Owners Club:
"I received a great quote from Chris Knott when my Yeti came up for renewal this November. Shamefully I'd been with D*****L*** for several years without shopping around so my premium was very uncompetitive. Chris Knott halved it! So I got a quote for the other half's new car too and they were still the cheapest around for combined insurance." discosteve

To find out how much you could save with Chris Knott's special club member scheme please give us a call or PM me your number at renewal so we can call you.

QUOTELINE: 0800 028 6463

ONLINE: Callback Request Form

We like to think we're bringing something extra to the table too by way of personal service, expert advice, accessibility, accountability to the club/forum and by providing all the ongoing support you need throughout your time as our client.

Please include us in the mix when searching for your next year's cover.

best,
Nick

RECENT FEEDBACK
As a member of the car enthusiast community you really can save money when switching to Chris Knott and NOT just in year one:

"I got a good deal this year with Chris Knott, both mine and Nicci's daily insurances." Ettienne, Volvo Performance Club UK

"EP3 Insured with Chris Knott - matched best price and better policy. Just taken out a policy through Ian at Chris Knott Insurance and am really pleased. I used the usual websites to try to get a decent quote for my EP3, most of the premiums look ok but once into the details each online policy seemed to have a hole in; no legal cover, no replacement car, month's salary for an excess etc, etc. Called up Chris Knott and not only could they match the online price, the policy had a lower excess, added legal cover and an extra 2000 miles on the policy. Give 'em a try." JTM12, Typre-R-Owners.co.uk

"I've been getting my Volvo insurance through Chris Knott for many years, hard to find good insurance for modified cars." t5_andy, Volvo Owners Club

"Sensible car insurance renewal arrived this morning from ChrisKnottIns - easily undercut my other like-for-like quotes by £200+ nice one!" Chris Green, Twitter

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2017 '17' Ford Mondeo 2.0TDCi ST Line X 180 (sorry)
and then theres the new EU rules meaning that uninsured drivers who are hit by other uninsured drivers have a pot to claim from. WHY???? if theyre uninsured, the ones who ARE will be paying for the pot. so why should ANYONE pay for insurance????

in addition, why do they try to wriggle out of their contracts as far as is possible when a claim is made (sore point at the moment, although not my claim, I'm having to deal with it)

Rappey69

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
c220 w204 amg sport
After my little £450 (local repair) shunt 4 years ago, which through the insurers and repair garages came to a total of £4500 im left feeling the whole insurance system and company's associated with it are just on one huge scam/fraud...
ie, £950 to supply a front wing, 2k for 2 weeks vehicle loan fora repair job that should be less than a mornings work...etc..
The insurance company,s themselves seem ok, its everyone else who does their work...

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
My non business multi car quote 3 vehicles is up 11% with Aviva.

My business vehicle insurance is the same as the last 3 years.

OP
ChrisKnottIns

ChrisKnottIns

Forum Supporter
Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Website
www.chrisknott.co.uk
Your Mercedes
na
...why do they try to wriggle out of their contracts as far as is possible when a claim is made...

The short answer is they shouldn't.

The regulator has clamped down on claims refusals where non-disclosure is the issue. Of course, if you're not happy with the insurer's response, having a broker there to help you might be valuable and there's also the Financial Ombudsman Service once you've complained to the insurer and been processed fully through their complaints process.

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
The short answer is they shouldn't.

The regulator has clamped down on claims refusals where non-disclosure is the issue. Of course, if you're not happy with the insurer's response, having a broker there to help you might be valuable and there's also the Financial Ombudsman Service once you've complained to the insurer and been processed fully through their complaints process.

as I said its not my insurance but someone had a bump Saturday PM. phoned sat to inform, then again on Monday to complete the info. the insured paid extra for a like for like car cover, however the car is not forthcoming until the third party admits liability (which we know he wont as he was racing a friend in another car, had the accident and spun twice before coming to a stop) the 'standard' repairers courtesy car will not be provided until the car has been assessed, we were told the car would be collected Monday PM or Tuesday AM, its STILL where it was recovered to, etc. and this is supposedly one of the better firms out there where claims are concerned

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I wonder what the wording is on the like-for-like car hire cover they purchased.

either way, they should have SOME sort of replacement transport. its needed to get their kids to school etc and the insurers are aware of this

geraldrobins

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C Class/2011/200cdi
I opt out of the replacement car now as it saves a bit, fortunately we have 2 cars and could cope for a short time, and also the number of tales of I have heard of hire cars being returned and then scrutinised for any minor scuff or paint chip that could have been there before or wear and tear.

d215yq

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1987 W124 300D 280k miles
and then theres the new EU rules meaning that uninsured drivers who are hit by other uninsured drivers have a pot to claim from. WHY???? if theyre uninsured, the ones who ARE will be paying for the pot. so why should ANYONE pay for insurance????

i

There can't be that many uninsured drivers being hit by other insured drivers. Out here premiums are a third what they are in the UK. The system is simpler (less questions) but the main thing is that nobody repairs minor bodywork stuff and just leaves it on the car and so there are massively less claims and hence lower premiums for all.

I don't think the EU has much to do with the reason insurance is complicated and expensive in the UK

turbopete

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
There can't be that many uninsured drivers being hit by other insured drivers. Out here premiums are a third what they are in the UK. The system is simpler (less questions) but the main thing is that nobody repairs minor bodywork stuff and just leaves it on the car and so there are massively less claims and hence lower premiums for all.

I don't think the EU has much to do with the reason insurance is complicated and expensive in the UK

whilst im sure that's true, its the EU that's forcing us to have a 'pot' of money to cover uninsured drivers.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom