Car juddering?

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
I don't see what all this has to do with juddering on light acceleration......the resistor is the best fix for the motor though. Nothing to do with juddering tho', in my opinion.

mioba

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W124/E200, W220/S320CDI, W205/C200, W251/R350CDI 4Matic
I would go to a proper merc Indy and get this checked out. You could be throwing good money away and that’s not gonna be cheap on this model of car.
It could even be something more simple like engine or g box mounts or a vacuum pipe.
Get it done once and done right.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
The crankcase ventilation is a pressure relief valve that lets the water/fuel/oil out which have bypassed the piston rings into the top of the engine ?? I can't give anything as to how much of this sludge it should let through , but it is this sludge that clogs the inlet manifolds eventually . Hopefully someone else will tidy up my explanation :D
Almost right Wighty....
When an engine runs some of the combustion pressure in the cylinders gets past the piston rings. If this was left unvented the internal pressure of the crankcase would rise and blow all the oil out, either through seals, gaskets or worst of all up past the piston rings when the piston is on an induction stroke (which can lead the diesel runaway).
The gases also contain combustion byproducts which when the engine Colls form harmful acidic compounds in the sump.
In the old days the breather was nothing more than a pipe vented to atmosphere but as time has gone on it's been vented back into the inlet to be put back into the combustion cycle as a way to reduce harmful emissions (the breather condensate emissions are pretty nasty).
Many petrol engines operate at crankcase pressures less than atmospheric (positive crankcase ventilation) and have more than one breather. Smart Roadsters for example have 2 breathers, one for the crankcase and one at the top for the camcovers. In turbo petrol cars one will feed into the inlet manifold with a one way valve (you don't want boost pressure in the crankcase) and the other into the inlet tract between air filter and turbo.

Last edited:

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
have we talked about engine mounts yet ?

OP
M

mymercandme

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w221
Hi, thanks for your replys. Is it alright todo 9p thing, would this interfere with m.o.t. test?.
If linkage is no good, why can't it be repaired? If linkage is no working does it always stop working in the open position?
If motor and linkage are o.k., is it possible to put some carb or something in manifolds to get rid of carbon ?

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
9p thing would not be a mot concern. You can repair the linkage or replace it but, with a choked manifold, it will fail again. Normally it will default to open position but I would lock it there manually. NO - cleaning requires removal and a LOT of elbow grease. Bitch of a job. Once done, if the egr is deleted, it won't re-occur.

Ian.

OP
M

mymercandme

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w221
Hi every one, is it possible to check to see if linkage (inlet ports) is sticking or stuck ect without removeing turbo? Thanks in advance.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom