Car upgrade

Iainc350

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 2010 3.0 v6
currently have a c350 who has had one and upgraded?
As the only way up I can see is going to the c63?
If I was to go down this road it would have to be a 2010-2012 model? I like this shape anyway.
Bug this means going to a 6.2 litre petrol although I'm sure it would be fun

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
6.2 petrol is awesome, personally I prefer the 5.5 bi turbo
There is a ‘rare’ headbolt issue on the 6.2 na engine (157) which is worth researching before you decide

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
Agree with the above. (the 6.2 ltr is an M156 though;))

OP
Iainc350

Iainc350

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 2010 3.0 v6
Hi
Thanks for your reply just been reading some previous threads on this. Don't like the sound of that?
I know with taking on a car like that running costs etc will heavily increase but really sounds like a fault Mercedes should be covering?

The newer ones would currently be out of my price range.

Thanks

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
Been a lot of talk on it over the forums, just have to decide for yourself really as the numbers in reality are quite small.
They will have a huge increase in running costs in comparison to what you have now in tyres and brake components alone

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
a c350 diesel?

if so road tax goes crazy to the tune of a free major service gets paid to HMRC and not a dealer
if that doesn't matter go look at a 5 series BMW twice the car

A.J.

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
UnMerc - 2020 VW Polo 2.0t GTi Plus, DSG. Flash Red, Traditional VW GTi Tartan seat trim.
a c350 diesel?

if so road tax goes crazy to the tune of a free major service gets paid to HMRC and not a dealer
Tut tut !! ;):(;)

AMGeed

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 C180K
a c350 diesel?

Not really a good comparison to a C Class though. A 3 series would be an equivalent. A remapped 335i petrol is a rapid car................................if you like the brand.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
I wrote this for a mate to explain how car types / sizes work

• Grannies cars = Hyundai i10, they start, but nothing happens when you push the throttle pedal – interior door handles are an optional extra

• Hoodies cars = Fiesta , bit bouncy, bit slow, most toys missing

• Chavs car = Focus, most missing cruise control and slower than the fiesta but you could drive it to Scotland and afford to run it

• Mondeo = Used to be a family sized car, but the outside stayed the same and now it’s only got the space of a Focus inside due to safety, these cars only have any toys coz otherwise the sales reps cry. Its been replaced by the 15 year old 3 series not as good to drive goes wrong twice as often and costs 10 times as much to run

• Adult sized car = 5 series, twice as good as any other car on the road, proper quality, safety and mechanical design – everyone should have one or an omega if no money

• Gas guzzler = S class or 7 series, ought to be called a money guzzler, 25% worse than a 5 series, too heavy, nasty to drive, 1” more leg room than a 5 series unless you get the LWB versions then you need to go to the admiralty to ask permission to go round a corner

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Last edited:

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
My partner at work is on his second 5 series, it’s nice enough but again lacks any wow, bit like the Audi A6
E class any day for me

Frosty149

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W207 2014 E350 coupe Bluetec D
My last employer let me have a succession of new extended hire cars a 5 series and an A6 included- they are both great vehicles, in their own way.
The BM has a great engine and the media system is the best I have seen.
The Audi was stylish but a bland experience, lacking character.
I bought an E350 after a lot of test driving.
Had it mapped, absolutely no regrets.
Everyone has different opinions.

Botus

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S500/2010/500
I sometimes wonder why you are on a Mercedes forum...

I was stupid enough to buy what I thought was a good car, its brings me no joy, is the most costly and unreliable vehicle I ever had (in 37 years of motoring), it has depreciated so much in value its worth nothing and I can't be bothered with the stress of wasting time looking for a better replacement...

As with motorbikes it appears they are going backwards at a horrendous rate. Car reliability is now 5 years till dead, the electronic nannies and bloated weight make them awful to drive. The only ones who think they are good, are youngsters with no experience. I'd get a 5 series except for some unknown reason ACC (distronic plus) is non existent. I've only ever seen on 4 BMW cars in my life. Yet its been std on a your grandmothers Polo since 2011. Of the BMs, one being my own 335d and never on a 5 series.

A mate is looking at getting one quickly and can't find a single one in the country at a dealership, will be a 4 month order to get one with it fitted. One of the dealers even said she had one with it on -" look in the add for the air con system....." AAC (dim cow) I honestly don't think BM sales reps know what it is.

The main reason I come here to help others who had the misfortune to buy a Merc, they may once have been a reliable truck that lasted 30 years but that ended circa 1989. What most believe they want from the Merc brand would be better severed by Lexus

mikestrivens

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
1995 W124 320TE, 1998 R129 SL500, 2016 Triumph Tiger 800 XCx
I was stupid enough to buy what I thought was a good car, its brings me no joy, is the most costly and unreliable vehicle I ever had (in 37 years of motoring), it has depreciated so much in value its worth nothing and I can't be bothered with the stress of wasting time looking for a better replacement...

As with motorbikes it appears they are going backwards at a horrendous rate. Car reliability is now 5 years till dead, the electronic nannies and bloated weight make them awful to drive. The only ones who think they are good, are youngsters with no experience. I'd get a 5 series except for some unknown reason ACC (distronic plus) is non existent. I've only ever seen on 4 BMW cars in my life. Yet its been std on a your grandmothers Polo since 2011. Of the BMs, one being my own 335d and never on a 5 series.

A mate is looking at getting one quickly and can't find a single one in the country at a dealership, will be a 4 month order to get one with it fitted. One of the dealers even said she had one with it on -" look in the add for the air con system....." AAC (dim cow) I honestly don't think BM sales reps know what it is.

The main reason I come here to help others who had the misfortune to buy a Merc, they may once have been a reliable truck that lasted 30 years but that ended circa 1989. What most believe they want from the Merc brand would be better severed by Lexus

Happy New Year

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
The C63 is an awesome contraption - have typically ended up keeping my cars for 2 years before I get itchy feet... over 3yrs with mine now.

The headbolt issue had a fix which should be documented if it's been implemented, or get one with the Performance Pack which adds the SLS internals and bolts and removes the issue completely.

It really is a stellar engine, and within 2 weeks I stopped questioning fuel economy. It's a delight simply potteri g about and listening to the burble, or when you unleash it.

Like you, I love the 204 shape, and very few of the current MB offerings float my boat in the same way (at least none that I can afford!)

I'll be genuinely sorry to see mine go, and still haven't really figured out what will replace it (as a few of the guys on here can testify to, I've been procrastinating for over 6 months!).

Best idea - go take one out and see what you think.

Go for 2012 MY facelift (came in late 2011).

PS. Unlike Botus, I'm on my 3rd MB and none have caused me undue expense or headaches. (As an aside, I love driving the C63 and can't consider myself a youngster anymore!)

Last edited:

Rotorhead500

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Used to have a C63...
PPS. Did my last service with an Indy and it wasn't too wrenching. Had a biggy at previous service with MB, but given what you've got to play with, not unhinged.

Tyres - well, I tend not to blitz standing starts (mainly for clutch, gearbox and other drivetrain preservation). It's only really the rears to worry about and the Conti CS3 that came with mine were on target for 10k+ miles when nails intervened.

OP
Iainc350

Iainc350

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 2010 3.0 v6
Thanks for all your help.
I have seen one that has the performance pack on it a 2010 model with only 20k miles.
Gives you the extra 30bhp.
Has uptated brakes etc.

ALL MBO Club members qualify for 15% discount on second hand parts.Please see MBO Members’ Area for discount codewww.dronsfields.com
Top Bottom