Carsoft and the W208

towat

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W208 CLK 320
I went to see LostKiwi and basically theres nothing wrong with the software, its my Can Bus system that's at fault. The software workwd on his, at least bits of it did but they wern't the same bits as mine, we accessed his transmission no problem. Mine? Forget it.

Your welcome to come over if you wish but be prepared for dissapointment.

Older cars, pain in the:eek::eek::eek::eek:

Not that bothered TBH just a minor niggle that I will sort out.

umblecumbuz

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S204 and CLC 204 cdi, MX5, Kia Soul
Both ECU testing and BBA reman wanted the same price, £225+VAT although my controller wasn't in either of there listings.

I spoke to BBA reman at some length, the reason they didn't list was because they had only ever seen two and only been able to fix one. This was basically telling me that they were, on the whole, very reliable.

Although BBA Reman used to have an excellent reputation, with their expansion the quality of their work seems to have taken a dip. Even though the initial telephone conversations gave me confidence, they have let me down and are not living up to their claims. I cannot recommend them.

After giving me their 'lifetime guarantee' on a rebuilt ABS unit, it had to go back to them more than once because it gave trouble. I have since asked for a refund as their work was faulty, and I am now in the process of putting them into court because - despite a variety of written promises - the refund is not forthcoming.

OP
Arudge

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
Although BBA Reman used to have an excellent reputation, with their expansion the quality of their work seems to have taken a dip. Even though the initial telephone conversations gave me confidence, they have let me down and are not living up to their claims. I cannot recommend them.

After giving me their 'lifetime guarantee' on a rebuilt ABS unit, it had to go back to them more than once because it gave trouble. I have since asked for a refund as their work was faulty, and I am now in the process of putting them into court because - despite a variety of written promises - the refund is not forthcoming.
Oh dear. Im to sorry to hear that but thanks for letting us know. I'll strike then off the approved list.

OP
Arudge

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
The Fleabay controller arrived in record time and went straight in and straight on the diagnostics.

Exactly the same FAULT screen. No difference whatsoever.

I shall now start the tedious task of checking the wiring between the TCU and the gearbox plug, pin to pin. Unless anybody else has any idea's?

OP
Arudge

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
I hadn't even got to the end of the road before i realised my latest purchase was clearly not functioning as it should, basically it was locked in second gear and had no intention of changing.

I went back, refitted my original TCU and all was well.

I started checking voltages at the TCU in order to try and find out why the TCU wouldn't talk to the software, when very literally, the TCU died in front of me.

I had a healthy output voltage to the valve block, then i didn't. A quick road test confirmed the worst, the transmission no longer works.

Does anybody have any recommendations for ECU repairers? Hopefully avoiding BBA Reman.

OP
Arudge

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
I complained to the vendor about his dodgy TCU and he sent me another which, to my surprise, appeared OK.

I continued tracing the wiring, I found multiple connectors inside the front passenger cill which i inspected and worked my way along the various modules until i came to the engine ECU.

Oh dear.........

One plug is full of oil and the other three have a fair amount verdigris. I pulled the ECU for thorough cleaning when it became obvious somebody else had been here before. The edges had been uncrimped and re crimped, i uncrimped it again to see if any of the oil was inside, there wasn't so i re crimped it.

I thoroughly cleaned all the connectors, lashings of contact cleaner to wash out the oil, Swiss files and emery for the verdigris.

I deleted all the error codes and re run Carsoft............

Full rack of green lights, INCLUDING.....full communication with the TCU and live data from the Transmission.

A result, but i'm onto something else.

When i pulled the engine ECU out i didn't really know what it was, so i googled the numbers, and therein lies the next problem. Uncle google says its for a C200 or a CLK 320. Mmmm, i wonder.

The ECU number is A 111 153 06 79

Could this be the real reason behind my slightly ropy transmission? The wrong engine management ECU?

I've tried looking through EIS for the correct part number but the program is driving me insane, could anybody enlighten me to the correct Engine ECU part number, or even confirm that the unit i have is actually suitable.

Many thanks.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Andy, can you ping me your VIN ? I'll take a look on EPC using your VIN to get the correct one.

Well done finding the bad connections!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Andy, there are several valid part numbers for your VIN 208_ecu.jpg :

I suspect uncle Google may be speaking with forked tongue - the CLK320 is a 6 cylinder!

OP
Arudge

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
Andy, there are several valid part numbers for your VIN View attachment 37850 :

I suspect uncle Google may be speaking with forked tongue - the CLK320 is a 6 cylinder!

Thanks for that, quite how MB can have several variants for the same engine baffles me. I was always under the impression that a map was very specific, or maybe there are other variants that are less important that have justified a different product code.

I'll run it and see how it goes.

i haven't changed the propshaft rear doughnut yet, you never know.

Thanks again.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
You'll probably find the base ECU is that same for most of them with refinements to the map accounting for the different part numbers.

OP
Arudge

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
I've just been to Worcester and back which is about 60 miles or so, i had had one clunk from the axle and i still feel the transmission is not changing down as smooth as i'd expect, but i am being critical here. I'll put it back on Carsoft later today and see if we've got any codes.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I think there is an option in the Carsoft software to reset the adaptations. Give that a try.

OP
Arudge

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
I think there is an option in the Carsoft software to reset the adaptations. Give that a try.
indeed there is, but i'll have to wait till this evening, but i will give it a try. it feels like transmission wind up, but obviously it can't be. Just as you slow to a halt, a knotty feel to the change down to first.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
indeed there is, but i'll have to wait till this evening, but i will give it a try. it feels like transmission wind up, but obviously it can't be. Just as you slow to a halt, a knotty feel to the change down to first.
I thought there would be - my Version 7.4 has it but wasn't sure about your version 12.
I did on mine and it changed the behaviour of the box for the better - made it a lot smoother.

OP
Arudge

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
20170711_131856.jpg This is the oil in the ECU plug. There was a small leak from the crankshaft sensor and the oil has wicked its way to the engine ECU. I'd not heard of this with the CLK200 but there you go. I fixed the leak some time ago, hopefully the oil in the loom will drain away.

20170711_132028.jpg Whilst the plug next to it has the dreaded verdigris, along with another at the other end of the ECU. Once these were all cleaned up the software was able to access all area's.

I find it rather ironic that the Engine ECU always reported perfectly to the diagnostic software yet in essence was causing all the problems. This clearly demonstrates that diagnosing these cars is a bit more involved than just plugging a machine in, there's a fair amount of interpretation and with that an awful lot of skill.

OP
Arudge

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
I thought there would be - my Version 7.4 has it but wasn't sure about your version 12.
I did on mine and it changed the behaviour of the box for the better - made it a lot smoother.
Interesting, thank you very much.

WE HAVE NOW MOVED: 8 Hazel Road, Woolston, SO19 7GB
Service, Repairs and remapping service
Any queries, please do not hesitate to contactEmail@mbsofsouthampton.co.ukor alternatively you can phone Colin or Dave on 02380 445820, out of hours numbers are 07787913313 or 07907631681.
Top Bottom