Carsoft and the W208

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
I think the reason the ECU reported being happy is due to the nature of the CAN bus. As they are in a chain starting at EIS then moving down to all the subsequent modules if the last good CANbus connection is the ECU and the next one is TCU the ECU will report happy but the TCU won't. This puts the failure between output of the ECU through Canbus wiring to TCU and TCU itself.
As far as the ECU is concerned all is happy and smiley.

OP
Arudge

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
Broke down again last night. Although the symptoms were nowhere near as violent the end result was the same, no response from the accelerator pedal wirh coughing and spluttering if you tried.

I'm missing something basic here and the software isn t seeing it either.

I know my EVAP system has a big hole in it somewhere but I've got no codes for that either.

I beginning to doubt the sofwares capacity, maybe it can't read everything, i don't know.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
'93 500SL-32, '01 W210 Estate E240 (RIP), 02 R230 SL500, 04 Smart Roadster Coupe, 11 R350CDi
Have you cleaned the oil out of the loom? Once it's in there it's a real pain to remove and will probably be in the ECU connector plug. I know you found there was oil on the ECU pins so it may well be inside the loom plug as well (I'd guarantee it).

OP
Arudge

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
Have you cleaned the oil out of the loom? Once it's in there it's a real pain to remove and will probably be in the ECU connector plug. I know you found there was oil on the ECU pins so it may well be inside the loom plug as well (I'd guarantee it).
Yes, the loom plug was full of oil. I cleaned it with contact cleaner and i also found to my dismay, oil coming through the camshaft magent plug also. The oil was coming through the plug, not the joint faces of the device but through the body of the plug itself, unbelievable.

I think I'll have to remove that section of the loom and maybe hang it to drain, get that oil stop plug you spoke of and have another go.

OP
Arudge

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
I'll have to see what's going on with the EVAP, i don't get the vacuum hiss when i remove the fuel cap and you can blow or draw as much as you like on the vacuum pipe from the MOT valve, there's clearly nothing on the other end of it. But I'm sure this was covered by sensors to check vacuum but I'm certainly not getting any error codes.

OP
Arudge

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
I've had a good read up on the 'oil in the loom' issues and had another look at what i've got. Most of what i read appertains to the 271 engine whilst mine is the 111.

On mine the loom goes around the top of the engine, mostly around the induction manifold and then plugs into the ECU, the o2 sensors are on a different plug so oil from the cam sensor cannot migrate to the o2 sensors. On this basis i think the 111 engine is regarded as safe.

The ECU plug i mopped all the oil out of is still dry. The cam sensor plug was sopping wet with oil, but i didn't clean it last time.

If there is no replacement oil block harness for mine, i did find a cheapskate method involving paring back the insulation close to the plug, soldering the wire to make it solid and then repairing the insulation. Apparently the oil cannot wick any further as the solder stops the capillary action, allegedly.

I've had another go at the dry plugs with a small Swiss file and got a bit more of the verdigris out, the plugs actually come apart and the pins a little easier to get to. we'll see if we get a better result.

OP
Arudge

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
You don't think i could have a dodgy crank position sensor?

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
If its leaking that badly I'd replace it anyway but the cam sensor can be unplugged and the engine will still run normally.
My 203 C180 (M111) had a leaking cam sensor and it had the pigtail fitted when I got it.

OP
Arudge

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
I went to Mercedes and bought the oil block harness, Part no. MA271 150 27 33, which was £26.64, fitted in seconds and hopefully that will be the end of that.

Whilst i was there i asked about the EVAP system. He pulled up some drawings but didn't really know anymore than what i'd already found out, but i did order a cap and we'll see what arrives on Thursday. I'll start another thread for the EVAP because if i'm right...........your not going to believe it.

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Wow those pigtails have gone up - I seem to recall they used to be just over a tenner!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I went to Mercedes and bought the oil block harness, Part no. MA271 150 27 33, which was £26.64, fitted in seconds and hopefully that will be the end of that.

Whilst i was there i asked about the EVAP system. He pulled up some drawings but didn't really know anymore than what i'd already found out, but i did order a cap and we'll see what arrives on Thursday. I'll start another thread for the EVAP because if i'm right...........your not going to believe it.
It's a Mercedes- I'd believe almost anything!

LostKiwi

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
I'll pull up the Evap on WIS/EPC and see what I can find.

OP
Arudge

Arudge

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK200 2000 Kompressor
I spoke to Carsoft again regards the programs ability to read all codes. They insist the program reads the same information as Mercedes do and if a code is stored Carsoft will read it. The only exception is the data that is stored within an airbag when it is deployed, which is for crash investigation.

The other question which he couldn't answer is which codes are actually used by my vehicle. A number of people have posted up the full list of MB codes on here, but my vehicle may only actually use half of them.

Mercedes have a comprehensive list of fault codes for the EVAP system, I'm beginning to think that there is nothing monitored between the purge valve and the filler cap, on later models maybe, but not mine.

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom