CDi problem: Engine dies: EPC

Arnie

Reaction score
We have a G400 Cdi, which has an intermittent problem whereby the engine will die suddenly with the message EPC (electronic power control: visit workshop...). This is a dangerous situation as when it happens there is no warning and there is complete loss of power, including steering etc.

Usually, this happens within the first 10 minutes of driving the car and it can sometimes take up to 12 hours before it will restart. In this case, the engine will normally fire up and will then turn off within 3 seconds with the EPC message.

Carsoft diagnostics had revealed DTC errors P2024 and P2001. The first was related to the exhaust gas reciculation valves, one of which we found to be stuck. However, after cleaning them the remaining fault is P2001, which still happens intermitently with the engine dieing and the EPC message in the dash.

As mentioned, it seems that the problem occurs usually within the 1st 10 minuts of driving with the following cicumstances:

1.) mostly, but not always, when driving down hill or with trailing throttle, or sometimes in reverse.
2.)It can take between 1 minute and 12 hours to be able to sucessfully restart the engine. (Engine actulally will restart fine, but only runs for 3 secs before EPC message and P2001 fault indicated.)
3.) After such an occurrance, if the car is used every day, then the fault is much less likely to happen again, until the car is not used for a day or two.

What we have done so far:

a.) replaced all fuel filters
b.) replaced acellerator pedal-position potentiometer.
c.) Checked all other systems (fule-pressure regulators, sensors etc.)
d.) Checked wiring to ECU etc
e.) Checked and replaced all relevant fuses, swapped relays etc.
f.) Air mass flow sensors were replaced earlier.

Now, it seems that according to the MB DTC codes the following could be relevant to the P2001 error:

P2001 check N3/9 (controller CDI) A/D converter.
P2001 check N3/9 (controller CDI) reference voltage
P2001 check N3/9 (controller CDI) voltage supply 1.
P2001 check N3/9 (controller CDI) voltage supply 2.
P2001 check N3/9 (controller CDI).Circuit voltage supply unit fault
P2001 Component N15/3 (ETC control module) is faulty.
P2001 Malfunction of exhaust gas recirculation (functional chain)(P0400)
P2001 N3/9 (controller CDI) reset identification error
P2001-001 M16/6 (throttle valve regulation part),throttle valve position reliability [P0638]
P2001-002 M16/6 (throttle valve regulation part),PWM-signal:limit 2[P0638]
P2001-004 M16/6 (throttle valve regulation part),PWM-signal interrupt [P0638]
P2001-008 M16/6 (throttle valve regulation part),PWM-signal:limit 1

My question is:

My next point of investigation would be the Throttle regulation valve. But, my main question is does anyone here know whether this would be likely to cause the engine to die completely as it does?

I was wondering whether the problem might be a wiring fault or a faulty ECU, but after many months, the fault does seem to be following a pattern, which would probably be more random and less defined with something like a broken wire or broken track in the ECU printed-circuit boards.

Last edited:
OP
A

Arnie

Reaction score
Thank you for the suggestion. I was about to buy a new CPS, just to try and see, but I didn't because I thought that this might have its own error code (P2005). From your experience, can a faulty CPS give the EPC error? I can certainly see that the result would be engine dieing instantly, whereas with other faults, the engine might continue to work, albeit with reduced perfromance.

What about the camshaft position sensors? is the CPS, the most likely to fail?

XIBRAX

Reaction score
Hiya mate, Im having the same problem with my 2001 C220 CDI! when I first got the car (Dec 2008) the car use to start first time in the mornings, but now every morning on the first start the car starts and just cuts off after 3 sec! and then after about 8-10 attempts, kicking on the pedal like a bi**ch it starts! I thought it was the service as it was due for a B one, got that done now, but its still the same! and I sometimes get the same problem as yours when driving the engine cuts of without warning, and a EPC light comes on, something about "elec pedal control, visit workshop" was wondering if you got yours fixed?? many thanks in advance, Shah

ochir

Reaction score
URGENT problem!

Dear All,
During hard acceleration my engine just shuts down! When diagnosed there's an error - P2021 check component Y74 (pressure control valve) current/rail pressure Readout too large. I took it to a Mercedes service, the Y74 component (the sensor) and the high pressure valve were checked. When tested it seems ok. Under normal driving everything seems absolutely normal. It's only during hard acceleration (i.e. passing a car in front) it just shuts down. Yesterday I decided to replace the valve and the sensor, however, the problem remained. The engine just shuts down during hard acceleration even with the new valve and the new sensor! Now I'm very puzzled. I will greatly appreciate any help with this problem. Thank you! If I understand correctly, usually it's the low pressure that bothers CDI engines, and it appears to me that the high pressure is a bit of a "new" for people

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
yes, this is not the usual. if you have the y94 quantity control valve on the front of the engine with the pressure pump i would suspect that to be the next suspect.

wardpaa

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 270 CDI
There was a chap with a sprinter van on the US mercedes forums that had a very similar experience. Engine would just shut off and could not be started for up to a number of hours. It turned out to be the Cam sensor.

ochir

Reaction score
My problem is solved. the fuel pump in the rear by the tank wasn't working. Even if it doesn't work the car starts and drives fine. If i understand correctly there are three pumps, one in the rear, one in the front and one high pressure pump. In my case the rear pump wasn't working so the car was driving ok at normal speeds but when needed more power (diesel) the pressure wasn't enough. Although, the computer said that the pressure was too high, it send me in a totally wrong direction. So i guess the lesson is always second guess the fault messages.
The reason why the pump didn't work was due to a fuse. And a fuse that was totally not related to fuel pump as stated in the fuse chart. In my case it was fuse H, which supposed to be engine fan, believe it or not. So who's to blame - G designers or fuse chart makers? Mechanics traced the wire that goes to the pump the hard way, so that's how they came to find that fuse. 4 trips to a service, and over 12 hours in total. Talk about expensive service now... :)

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
and what exactly WAS the fault code wording?!?!

if it said "pressure control variation too high" this actually means that the measured pressure varies TOO MUCH from the specified or expected pressure. ie, the pressure is wrong, not that the pressure is too high.

reading the snap-shot data or fault code definition should pin down the exact fault that logged the code.

OP
A

Arnie

Reaction score
Thank you for all the suggestions. I presently don't have access to the car, as it's now not in the Uk, but I will try a number of things when I next have the chance.

Probably, I will replace the CPS, just in case, but I have also been pointed towards a possible fault in the ECU itself.

I have been told of an S400 CDi with the exact same symptoms and that was fixed by an ECU replacement. Apparently there is a common component in the ECU that can go faulty:

Just looking at the error codes:

P2001-001 M16/6 (throttle valve regulation part),throttle valve position reliability [P0638]

It could well be that the faulty component is the Analogue to Digital converter chip in the ECU. This is responsible for converting all the sensor data from analogue voltages to digital data. The other possibility could be the internal, voltage regulator devices that produce main system voltage (probably 5volts) and the reference voltages for the A-D converter.

The 12v supply voltages to the ECU were checked and found to be OK when the fault condition was present.

trigital

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w215 cl600
It is solved?

I have the same problem too!

Regards,

Thank you for all the suggestions. I presently don't have access to the car, as it's now not in the Uk, but I will try a number of things when I next have the chance.

Probably, I will replace the CPS, just in case, but I have also been pointed towards a possible fault in the ECU itself.

I have been told of an S400 CDi with the exact same symptoms and that was fixed by an ECU replacement. Apparently there is a common component in the ECU that can go faulty:

Just looking at the error codes:

It could well be that the faulty component is the Analogue to Digital converter chip in the ECU. This is responsible for converting all the sensor data from analogue voltages to digital data. The other possibility could be the internal, voltage regulator devices that produce main system voltage (probably 5volts) and the reference voltages for the A-D converter.

The 12v supply voltages to the ECU were checked and found to be OK when the fault condition was present.

OP
A

Arnie

Reaction score
Update

I have been off this forum for some time, but for future reference, I though that I would now post the fix to this problem, which is common to all 400Cdi engines of c. year 2000.

The fault lies in the ECU and is caused by the faillure of a small surface-mount electrolytic capacitor, which seems to develop a high Electrical Series Resistance (goes bad). It is part or a switching DC-DC converter circuit, which then stops working.

The repair involves replacing this particular capacitor and requires disassembly and opening of the CDi ECU.

There is a story about sub-standard 'counterfeit' elecrolytic capacitors finding their way on to the market in the early 2000's and causing problems in all sorts of electronics from camcorders to televisions.. to apparently, now, engine ECUs.

Anyway, the ESR of these faulty capacitors gets worse with lower temperature and so the resulting engine fault may be more commonly seen in cold weather or early morning.

The repair proceedure requires a super-fine soldering iron and a replacement capacitor, which costs about 50 cents. However, there are several electrolytic capacitors on the board and for peace of mind I changed them all. The faulty one, however, does not appear to have recognisable brand markings and was found to be the same faulty capacitor in at least 3 different ECUs.

It's been nearly 2 years since the fix and still going fine.

For full details including the correct grade for the replacement parts, please PM me.

vlajcecar

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S 400 CDI 2001
I have that problem,can you please, help me to solve it?
Im from Serbia..
And i would like you to show me some pics and trutorial of how to do it..
Please HELP! :)
AND THANKS!!

dixxon

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
G400 CDI/2001/V8
I have that problem,can you please, help me to solve it?
Im from Serbia..
And i would like you to show me some pics and trutorial of how to do it..
Please HELP! :)
AND THANKS!!

Is the problem solved by replacing of said electrolytic capacitor in ECU, as long as this is the case, or there's another reason (somebody wrote about the o-rings in fuel piping, sensors etc.) ?

Can you clarify ?

Brgds,

OP
A

Arnie

Reaction score
Yes, the complete fix is achieved by replacing this faulty capacitor, which is part of the voltage regulation circuit of the engine ECU.

No other parts required replacement.

greg.pl

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
200CDI
Hi mates,
I have the same problem and I see You have only solution for this.
Can I ask for full replacement parts list(PM or here)? I'll be thankful - matter is quite urgent...

Regards,
Greg

zerx

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml400cdi
Hi mates, same problem here, inspected the ecu board for any signs of bad capacitors, but i guess i must desolder the faylty one to measure it, maybe our friend Arnie could help here?

Last edited:

fishmanr1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S220 400CDI
Hi mates. I have the same problem in my 400 CDI. Please help me. I need information about this capacitor ( foto ) and replace instruction. This is realy hard to start my Mercedes.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
ESR meters can be bought, I have one and the best thing I have ever owned.

The best thing to do is to change all the caps, they are so cheap, only use 105⁰c caps.

fishmanr1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S220 400CDI
Ok. I need photo with this caps mounted in ECU and can you tick in graphic program arrows of circle ( capacitors to change):confused:. I have esr meter and soldering station.

Sorry for my english :D

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom