CDi problem: Engine dies: EPC

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Ok. I need photo with this caps mounted in ECU and can you tick in graphic program arrows of circle ( capacitors to change):confused:. I have esr meter and soldering station.

Sorry for my english :D

OK if you have an ESR meter why not go all over the board and change the ones with a poor reading, I do not have any picture of these ECU's

fishmanr1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S220 400CDI
i`m change 35v and 60v capacitors (the 2 biggest) on the board of ECU and auto still wont start in cold weather. Any suggestion? :confused:

Alex Crow

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W169, W124, w202, W203, KTM 250 EXC, VW T25 camper and a Polo in a pear tree
Keep searching on Google - I know there are pictures out there, just cannot find them myself.

television

Always remembered RIP
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 SL500, 216 CL500, all fully loaded
Could this one be an temp sender fault, with the wire of the air intake sensor and the water temp it will be at max cold start

yo84se

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml400 cdi 2002/c250tdt st
Hi.could someone send me the ecu fix solution. Pict etc. Best regards jarmo.

azxc111

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
ml400cdi
400cdi dies when cold!

Hi,

I have read your posts and undestood you have found some bad condensators, can you give me the exact information so that I can check the ECU. Maybe you have some pictures and the needed value's

Thanks advance.

Adi

mihaisclass

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
S400 2003
Hi Guys, I have the same problem myself with s400 cdi, it is one of the ECU under the hood right? to spread that ECU but do not know where the capacitors should be changed. Help me please with some pictures or more explanations. Thank wait.
HEEEELLLLPPPPP

Lunder

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2002 G400 CDi
I have this problem on my 2002 G400. Which capacitors do I need to change? And the ECU is located behind the glove compartment, right?

OP
A

Arnie

Reaction score
Solution

Hello, All,

I'm afraid that, again, I've been away for a while and I see that there has been some demand for the repair procedure for the ECU.

I have therefore attached here the pictures and details for which capacitor to replace. However, whilst at it, it's probably best to replace as many of them as you can.

Attachments

• G400-ECU-top.jpg
    G400-ECU-top.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 733
  • G400-ECU-back.jpg
    G400-ECU-back.jpg
    289 KB · Views: 695
  • G400-Faulty-Cap-No.4.jpg
    G400-Faulty-Cap-No.4.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 617
  • Capacitor-List.JPG
    Capacitor-List.JPG
    195.6 KB · Views: 640
Last edited:
OP
A

Arnie

Reaction score
background

Background to the above.

....I’m an electronics engineer and the ECU was the only remaining thing that was not checked. Also, it became obvious after a while that the problem was not constant, but would manifest itself in colder temperature, like early morning. When the car ran, it ran absolutely fine and so I figured it wasn’t going to be something like a worn fuel pump or blocked filter. It was hard to get a proper list of Fault Codes for the 400CDi , but having got them, a couple pointed towards voltage supply problems and so, after having checked the wiring to the ECU, I decided to check the ECU itself and indeed it turned out to be a couple of capacitors related to regulating on-board power-supplies. The attached sheet shows that the ESR reading on capacitor 4 is obviously high and lot higher than the manufacturer’s specification. But you need an ESR meter (about USD$100) to diagnose this, as a multimeter will only read capacitance, which in this case is not too far off the nominal value. In my case, most of the capacitors were Panasonic brand but the faulty capacitor (no4) was not a known (to me) brand and I have subsequently found several other people with the same problem and same identical faulty capacitor.

Anyway, even without an ECR meter, if capacitor No.4 is changed, it is likely to fix the problem, particularly, if you see that capacitor No.4 is of the same 'brand' as in my case.

OP
A

Arnie

Reaction score
Yes, with so much reliance on electronic systems, it's quite amazing the effect that such a small, passive component can have in knocking out the whole engine.

OP
A

Arnie

Reaction score
I should add that the replacement capacitors are available from

RS Components Ltd
Farnell Electronic Components Ltd
Mouser

For the other caps on the ECU board, I have replaced the original HA-series Panasonic caps with premiium perfromance FC-Series. All temperature ratings should be 105C and at this temperatures the capacitor lifetime is approx 1,000 hrs. But the life doubles with every 10C below the max temperature. So, if the ECU is working at 65C, you might expect a life of over 10,000 operating hours. The lower the capacitor's ESR value, generally the better it is, with a higher ripple-current capacity.

When replacing the capacitors be sure to observe anti-static precaustions for the other components on the ECU board. Also, take care note of the capacitor polarity. Electrolytic capacitors will fail quickly if installed with reverse polarity. The black 'stripe' indicates the negative terminal.

For some, it may be easier to purchase the replacement caps and then have them replaced by an electronics assembly house, which works surface-mounted devices (SMD).

Last edited:

goochie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
G400 cdi
Update

I have been off this forum for some time, but for future reference, I though that I would now post the fix to this problem, which is common to all 400Cdi engines of c. year 2000.

The fault lies in the ECU and is caused by the faillure of a small surface-mount electrolytic capacitor, which seems to develop a high Electrical Series Resistance (goes bad). It is part or a switching DC-DC converter circuit, which then stops working.

The repair involves replacing this particular capacitor and requires disassembly and opening of the CDi ECU.

There is a story about sub-standard 'counterfeit' elecrolytic capacitors finding their way on to the market in the early 2000's and causing problems in all sorts of electronics from camcorders to televisions.. to apparently, now, engine ECUs.

Anyway, the ESR of these faulty capacitors gets worse with lower temperature and so the resulting engine fault may be more commonly seen in cold weather or early morning.

The repair proceedure requires a super-fine soldering iron and a replacement capacitor, which costs about 50 cents. However, there are several electrolytic capacitors on the board and for peace of mind I changed them all. The faulty one, however, does not appear to have recognisable brand markings and was found to be the same faulty capacitor in at least 3 different ECUs.

It's been nearly 2 years since the fix and still going fine.

For full details including the correct grade for the replacement parts, please PM me.

Hi Arnie,
I just been reading your post on the G400cdi issues, wow its the same symptons im having.....

Can i please ask what the correct grade replacement parts are for the ECU please, looking to send mine asap.

Please if you can email me either way or phone please i would be very grateful.

Thanks
G
07 82 722 96 49

goochie

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
G400 cdi
Hi Arnie,
I just been reading your post on the G400cdi issues, wow its the same symptons im having.....

Can i please ask what the correct grade replacement parts are for the ECU please, looking to send mine asap.

Thanks
G

Westheath

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Empty garage, awaiting new toy :)
Hi Arnie,

Thanks
G
07 82 722 96 49

Test and replace.

400cdi  caps.PNG

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W123 240d
Hi, I have a problem with w220 400cdi. The engine starts properly at any temperature. Error P2001-16 supply voltage 2 ,87.No engine power.

Attachments

• 796D0F12-7338-4371-8C4D-F0947259C81D.jpeg
    796D0F12-7338-4371-8C4D-F0947259C81D.jpeg
    441.6 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Chris Knott Insurance, see oursticky posts here!
www.ckinsurance.co.uk
Top Bottom