CDI3 EGR bypass mod

bojo06

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 W211
Hi,
I installed the EGR emulator on my W211 E220 2004 with 6 speed manual gear.

After few day I am having a DTC 2355-02. I have now the EGR emulator with lose off power.

Does anyone now what could be the couse of this?

Last edited by a moderator:

bojo06

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220 W211
Hi,
I installed the EGR emulator on my W211 E220 2004 with 6 speed manual gear.

After few day I am having a DTC 2355-02. I have now the EGR emulator with lose off power.

Does anyone now what could be the couse of this?

Last edited by a moderator:

s320sipos

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
s320 2003 w220
Hello
I'm sipos, it's been smoke for 4 years ... more, and very sad
Is it possible to help me?
Images are not displayed,
I do not have the wiring,
I can not find the appropriate cables,
Do you want to send a photo with a egr plug and a maf connector?
Mine s320 w220 2003 cdi3
please help :)
Thanks,

Thomas Murphy

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2005 C220 150
Hi,
I have fitted a few different builds of this mod to my car. The first one made a great difference in relation to smoke (still some under heavy acceleration) and car was running really well. But the engine warning light remained on fault code P2527 check component Y27/9 (left EGR positioner ) signal line interrupted. So I thought maybe this was down to the quality of the resistors I used as they were just resistors diodes and a transistor I had at work.. I then made another 1 and I thought I had all the values almost perfect, I fitted to the car and the light stayed out and car seemed to be going even better again.. the only problem I have now is that I can hear a droaning noise from the exhaust ( like an air filter box not sealed properly ) I read on this post that this mod might not suit my car because of a throttle flap, could this be where the droaning noise is coming from? thanks in advance for any help I'm new to this forum..

this is the part that I read...
That model of sprinter uses other inputs in addition to the MAF. It uses exhaust gas oxygen sensor as well for sure. Also if its like the 150hp version of the om646 then there is a electronic "throttle" butterfly in the inlet to increase EGR flow. I think you would be better off looking for a EGR delete at the ecu level (and also dpf delete) from an ecu flash tuner.

DNS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 Sprinter 2500 2.7L OM612
Hi Alex,

Greetings from Texas! I am the owner of a 2003 Sprinter 2.7L OM612, and a new member, and it is with great enthusiasm that I spent over 8 hours reading and studying every page on this thread. I then proceeded to build a neat and compact copy of your EGR mod design with components purchased locally – the only difference being an equivalent NPN transistor (NTE123AP) swapped for the BC337 and two resistors used in series (560 + 80 ohm) for R3. (Later I used a 680 ohm for R3)

Details:

1) Every connection on Sprinter (inside near ECU) and Mod is soldered

2) EGR PWM wire severed – Ground and 12V Supply left intact

3) ID'd all wires and performed Continuity Checks from EGR and MAF Plugs to ECU

4) Ensured Key On 12V power and 0V continuity to chassis ground

5) Ensured proper diode and transistor orientation in Mod & corresponding R readings

6) EGR valve is new and operating perfectly (new engine install – thus trying to preserve it)

7) With EGR plastic cap off and Plug connected (PWM wire severed) I feel stepper motor cam resistance - as should be

8) Have professional scan-tool, no codes present of any kind prior to install

9) Confirmed MAF is variable voltage type - see readings below:

with Mod off (original setup)
- KOEO = 1.20V
- Idle = 2.26V
- 1K RPM = 2.37V
- 2K RPM = 2.90V
- 3K RPM = 3.47V

with Mod installed w & w/out EGR plunged in (same readings)
- KOEO = 1.20V
- Idle = 2.25V
- 1K RPM = 2.50V
- 2K RPM = 3.16V
- 3K RPM = 3.54V

Results:

1) When Mod is plugged in, I instantly get DTC P1403-032 EGR re-circulation rate is too low

2) This disables Turbo actuator which does not move/respond to throttle

3) Soft Limp Mode – basically eliminates turbo – slow acceleration, black smoke, etc.

4) The minute EGR is plugged (with Mod on) I hear a buzzing sound from the EGR stepper motor – I can feel the vibration. It comes on with KOEO and stays buzzing with KOER – constantly – only goes away if I unplug EGR connector. (Nobody seems to have mentioned this phenomena before!)

Future:

Before looking into remapping options, (having spent almost 3 days on this), I would appreciate your professional input. I went over 3x looking at everything and all seems well. Somehow, I don't think that going with 1.8K & 1K in parallel, or using a variable 1K resistor or tight tolerance metal film resistors for R3 will improve my situation. I've also heard of 2004-06 Sprinter owners using a 3K resistors between EGR pins 1&2, but mine is a 1st gen Sprinter (will nevertheless try it). Is there anything I might of missed before I bite-the-bullet? Sadly, Colorado Al from the Sprinter forums (with an 03 Sprinter line mine), which got me into all of this, is reporting that this eventually ended up not working for him. I would at least like to know why to help me put it at rest.

Many thanks!
Dan

Uber

New Registration
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
201 1990 om602.962
OK, this works on a W211 with CDI3 electronic EGR valve and 648 (IL6 320 cdi) engine.

What does it do?

R3 gives a path to ground to 'drag down' maf signal voltage as per earlier CDI2 mod. The diode again is also as per the other mod, and prevents the circuit from raising the maf voltage above its natural value.

R1 satisfies the monitoring of the EGR valve, to avoid open circuit codes.

R2 is a balancing resistor, and has a value chosen with the gain of the transistor in mind, to ensure the transistor is fully saturated when on.

The transistor is used as an inverter, to reverse the PWM signal.

The mod should cause no damage to any electronic components on the car, the max current that can flow is through R3, limited to 18ma or so.

How do you say to reverse the PWM signal, sorry I did not understand. Isn't the transistor acting as a switch?
How do you know the PWM current? how you calculate the R2?

Also on you next post you say put two resistors 1k and 1.8 in series to make 643 ohm? series resistor should add the value..

I just want to understand, it is a fantastic job what you do!

Kai_MR

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
3.0 CRD Jeep Grand Cherokee '2008
Somewhere above Alex wrote that "in series" was a typo. "in parallel" is correct as it is in his circuit diagram.

But I have another question @alex: I own a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD with mercedes machine.
Does the mod fit also for me?

Motor should be the OM642 and I read in another thread that the mod is not fitting to mercedes CDI cars with OM642 because of different MAF sensor with frequency modulated signals. If I am not wrong the JEEP GC CRD has a OM642 but with a different MAF than the mercedes CDI. The JEEP built in MAF is the one with the 4 pin connector.So my assumtion is: The mod will fit but I am not sure.
Thanks in advance

Kai_MR

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
3.0 CRD Jeep Grand Cherokee '2008
Hi Alex,

Before looking into remapping options, (having spent almost 3 days on this), I would appreciate your professional input. I went over 3x looking at everything and all seems well. Somehow, I don't think that going with 1.8K & 1K in parallel, or using a variable 1K resistor or tight tolerance metal film resistors for R3 will improve my situation. I've also heard of 2004-06 Sprinter owners using a 3K resistors between EGR pins 1&2, but mine is a 1st gen Sprinter (will nevertheless try it). Is there anything I might of missed before I bite-the-bullet? Sadly, Colorado Al from the Sprinter forums (with an 03 Sprinter line mine), which got me into all of this, is reporting that this eventually ended up not working for him. I would at least like to know why to help me put it at rest.

Many thanks!
Dan

Hi,
the mod simulates the EGR to the MCU. If you plug the connector of the EGR then the MCU thinks it has two EGR in parallel or EGR with wrong values. Please check again without the EGR valve electrically connected.

regards, Kai

Supra1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 Jeep GC 3.0 CRD
Somewhere above Alex wrote that "in series" was a typo. "in parallel" is correct as it is in his circuit diagram.

But I have another question @alex: I own a 2008 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD with mercedes machine.
Does the mod fit also for me?

Motor should be the OM642 and I read in another thread that the mod is not fitting to mercedes CDI cars with OM642 because of different MAF sensor with frequency modulated signals. If I am not wrong the JEEP GC CRD has a OM642 but with a different MAF than the mercedes CDI. The JEEP built in MAF is the one with the 4 pin connector.So my assumtion is: The mod will fit but I am not sure.
Thanks in advance

Supra1

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2008 Jeep GC 3.0 CRD
Did you ever get an answer if this mod will work on your jeep?
I have the same vehicle

Veselin Vasilev

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220CDI/2005/2.0
Hi,Guys.
Trying to remove EGR valve using a Emulator just checked the wires with multimeter connect the emulator drive few days and car start going into LIMP mode loosing power.
Does anybody can help me with this.
My car details are : Mercedes E220 CDI, 2005, 150bhp, 110kw, Avantgarde.
There is the emulator info:

Attachments

• new doc 2018-08-31 21.40.19_1.jpg
    new doc 2018-08-31 21.40.19_1.jpg
    401.9 KB · Views: 138

Veselin Vasilev

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E220CDI/2005/2.0
OK, this works on a W211 with CDI3 electronic EGR valve and 648 (IL6 320 cdi) engine.

It satisfies EGR monitoring function over various driving conditions, and also prevents EGR valve open circuit/short circuit etc fault codes.
On road test the car performed very well, with no black smoke but plenty of acceleration on demand, as said, no codes are being logged during mixed road test and period of idling.

What does it do?

R3 gives a path to ground to 'drag down' maf signal voltage as per earlier CDI2 mod. The diode again is also as per the other mod, and prevents the circuit from raising the maf voltage above its natural value.

R2 is a balancing resistor, and has a value chosen with the gain of the transistor in mind, to ensure the transistor is fully saturated when on.

The mod should cause no damage to any electronic components on the car, the max current that can flow is through R3, limited to 18ma or so.

Hi, Alex
I'm new but would like to ask you is that will work on my W211 (E220 CDI, 2005 with CDI3 electronic EGR valve if yes where can buy this?
Thank you

DNS

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
2003 Sprinter 2500 2.7L OM612
Hi Alex,

Greetings from Texas! I am the owner of a 2003 Sprinter 2.7L OM612, and a new member, and it is with great enthusiasm that I spent over 8 hours reading and studying every page on this thread. I then proceeded to build a neat and compact copy of your EGR mod design with components purchased locally – the only difference being an equivalent NPN transistor (NTE123AP) swapped for the BC337 and two resistors used in series (560 + 80 ohm) for R3. (Later I used a 680 ohm for R3)

Details:

1) Every connection on Sprinter (inside near ECU) and Mod is soldered

2) EGR PWM wire severed – Ground and 12V Supply left intact

3) ID'd all wires and performed Continuity Checks from EGR and MAF Plugs to ECU

4) Ensured Key On 12V power and 0V continuity to chassis ground

5) Ensured proper diode and transistor orientation in Mod & corresponding R readings

6) EGR valve is new and operating perfectly (new engine install – thus trying to preserve it)

7) With EGR plastic cap off and Plug connected (PWM wire severed) I feel stepper motor cam resistance - as should be

8) Have professional scan-tool, no codes present of any kind prior to install

9) Confirmed MAF is variable voltage type - see readings below:

with Mod off (original setup)
- KOEO = 1.20V
- Idle = 2.26V
- 1K RPM = 2.37V
- 2K RPM = 2.90V
- 3K RPM = 3.47V

with Mod installed w & w/out EGR plunged in (same readings)
- KOEO = 1.20V
- Idle = 2.25V
- 1K RPM = 2.50V
- 2K RPM = 3.16V
- 3K RPM = 3.54V

Results:

1) When Mod is plugged in, I instantly get DTC P1403-032 EGR re-circulation rate is too low

2) This disables Turbo actuator which does not move/respond to throttle

3) Soft Limp Mode – basically eliminates turbo – slow acceleration, black smoke, etc.

4) The minute EGR is plugged (with Mod on) I hear a buzzing sound from the EGR stepper motor – I can feel the vibration. It comes on with KOEO and stays buzzing with KOER – constantly – only goes away if I unplug EGR connector. (Nobody seems to have mentioned this phenomena before!)

Future:

Many thanks!
Dan

This never worked for me so I purchased the Malone Tunning EGR Delete and it works like a charm!

oigle

Reaction score
Website
members.optusnet.com.au
Your Mercedes
2003 ML270 sold but not forgotten. 2022 Kia EV6 RWD LR
I thought the 270 motor in 2003 had a vacuum operated egr valve. My ML does. That requires a totally different bypass arrangement. See the thread by dieselman.

Ian.

krzychotnik

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w211/2003/OM648
Hi, I've made the emulator from the first post, but I haven't connect it to the car yet. First I took off the EGR valve and clean up, then i put this to the car. I've disconnect the plug of EGR. I don't have check on dash, but I have a felling that a car have less power now. Maybe I have stupid question, but is it necessery to connect the emulator when i don't have check on dash? Disconnecting the plug from the egr isn't enough? Thank You in advance.

krzychotnik

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w211/2003/OM648
I've connected the mod but i have P2346 - Airmass too large. Without mod connected and EGR unplugged i have P2121. Both codes made limp mode. I've got symptoms like user Engineere from post #432. I checked my circuit with post #42. At idle I have got about 2V from MAF with mod connected. What else can I do?

haykel

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
w211 2006
hello
could someone help on egr bypass
w211 om646 ecu delhpi crd11

konasteph

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
e320 cdi 2006 OM648

It satisfies EGR monitoring function over various driving conditions, and also prevents EGR valve open circuit/short circuit etc fault codes.
On road test the car performed very well, with no black smoke but plenty of acceleration on demand, as said, no codes are being logged during mixed road test and period of idling.

What does it do?

Ok Hi there! Its for a 2006 e320 CDI thats OM 648. Years went by and I'd like to know where things stand with this EGR "delete" idea..There wasn't anything posted on this for a number of years So I am wondering, is the idea not good after all, is there a different, better way to do it or ?? I would like to ask some questions, and I will save everyone from answering, if I knew that the idea is a dead horse. On the other hand I googled this issue and nothing different is coming up so it looks like nothing's changed meaning its still better to delete the EGR in a smart way than let the intake side get coked up. Expecting some answer, please.

pfoxhound

Registered
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
E320 cdi 2006
When I took away plastic cover I found that the EGR gas 4 nuts inside so I put epoxy on one of them added metric socket 8 and this way blocked the EGR completely from opening.
Previously I send firmware to my friend and he has somebody who edit firmwares, I got stage 2 tune and EGR + swirl flaps disabled. Read the thread about exhaust pushing the EGR valve and decided to block it. After I took off the cap on EGR put a camera to see what was going on with EGR on high rpms and found no movement at all, but still decided to block it just in case...

AIB understand your special Mercedes deserves a special insurance policy. We have a refreshing attitude to insuring high performance, modified, imported or classic and vintage cars and deal with the UK’s leading insurers. We offer discounts for length of ownership, where the vehicle is kept overnight and limiting the mileage and can also cater for those clients who need higher mileage and business use. To obtain a quotation please call the team on 02380 268351 or visit us atAIB Insurance
Top Bottom