Ceramic coating, is it worth it?

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
My tuppence as someone who details cars.

Firstly if you are going to get the best longevity out of any coating 2 things need to happen.

1 - The car has to be fully prepared and polished properly. There is no point in doing 'half a job' so to speak. Without getting technical you want the coating to bond to the lacquer of the car. If there are any imperfections (contaminants, swirl marks etc) then that creates weak points in the coating. This is then how the longevity is affected.

2 - The aftercare has to be of equal standard. Sticking a ceramic coating on the car is all well and good. But if you give it to the local "£5 mop and wipe" every time you want it cleaned then the coating will wear off again as harsh chemicals, abrasive/rough cloths & sponges etc will wear away at the coating.

The other thing to consider is that a proper ceramic coating is quite hard and scratch resistant. But it's not sapphire crystal or diamond so it's not going to last forever. Also once it is scratched then only wet sanding, or letting it wear off will sort it. This is the reason G-Techniq will not sell Crystal Serum or Crystal Serum Ultra to anyone who they haven't got registered as a professional detailer.

To fully prepare a car is solely dependant on it's condition on arrival. But 3 days would be the absolute minimum to get a car to the required level to apply a proper ceramic coating. That would be 1 person working solely on the car for 12-14hrs a day. 2 people could no doubt do it quicker. But then you run the risk of areas missed and different levels of skill.

OP
gramey

gramey

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Currently none
Just had another quote come through from Detail Your Eyecandy, £340 - £520 plus £120 - £420 extra if I wanted ceramic coating depending on which brand plus £75 - £150 for the wheels depending on just the wheel face or face and inside - so go for the top service and it's £1090.00 strewth!!!!! :)
I think that should have come with a sit down first warning. :)
The initial price includes Swissvax Shield polish and yes the £120 - £420 is in addition not instead of. :(

Last edited:

ajlsl600

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
clk3202001,sl6002003 with everything regrettably sold ,A class 170cdi auto. NG/TF1800 ML250
think i aout built garage for 4 yrs worth of that protection !

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
Just had another quote come through from Detail Your Eyecandy, £340 - £520 plus £120 - £420 extra if I wanted ceramic coating depending on which brand plus £75 - £150 for the wheels depending on just the wheel face or face and inside - so go for the top service and it's £1090.00 strewth!!!!! :)
The initial price includes Swissvax Shield polish and yes the £120 - £420 is in addition not instead of. :(
Jesus Christ !!! That first quote is probably 1/3rd of the cars value .

JBell

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
C350 CDi Estate (GAD Edition)

That is a rip off, way too expensive, my father had his new car done with a "protection detail" including G-Technique protection on the seats and swissvax on the outside including the wheels and some correction for £200

C350Carl

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
BMW 740Ld xDrive
As Jon says. If it’s just a protection detail then it’s very expensive.

£200 - £250 is around the going rate for a protection detail which will include light correction. The prices start going up the higher the level of correction you want.

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
I had mine done with a ceramic coating it was cheap but not very well done.

U166P5029T2D552759F36DT20130124093302.jpg

Frontstep

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
T210 320cdi
The salesman did say there might be a little residue to polish off.

Morethanpolish

Authorised Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Your Mercedes
CLK 200 Kompressor
As this post was also started on another MB forum I've copied my answer into here.

I have some experience of ceramic coatings, being a trained detailer for the Kenotek Ceramic Shield product for over 18 months, though apart from bits of my own car, I haven't done a complete car. This is because I run the UK Authorised Detailer network, not that I'm an unpopular detailer!

The time and kit required, and therefore the costs, depend to a large extent on:
a) the product being used
b) the condition of the car
c) how keen the guys are to get your business
d) a bullsh*t factor

a). Not all products are the same, some need only 1 coat, others more, not all need infrared lights in laboratory-clean dehumidified environment and chaps in white coats and face masks. Kenolon doesn't for example. Time and extra coats = (your) money. Most products are made in the Far East and not optimised for colder, European climates, hence the gear required here.

b) Prep is everything. Ceramics accentuate, not hide, defects like wax will. How bad and big the car is will define this cost element. But assuming its been reasonably well cared for a day to machine and prep it is all that's required, by 1 experienced man. A typical day rate will be £2-300. Add half a day to apply the coating and the cost of it, so £450 seems fair.

c) You'll have to figure this one out.

d) Some guys are making a stack of money by clouding this in phoney science. A well formulated product will need 1 coat, no special gear and just care in application by someone half intelligent. Better if they have been trained by the manufacturer to give you some reassurance, otherwise, by experience. Ask to talk to other customers who've had it done, and ask the detailers how many they have done over what time period. The prep element will be the same whether the final coating is ceramic or wax.

I'm very sceptical of warranties as the ones I have read have so many exclusions and get out clauses they are worthless. But I'd expect a decent product, applied correctly, to last 40-60,000m or 3-5 years.

£450 on the face of it isn't a bad nor too low price, but what product are they using ?

Hope this is useful.

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
I went with the Gtech Platinum offered by the dealer, priced at £600 but negotiated close to that off the price of the car. I was sceptical of all these coatings as I had a Range Rover Vogue in black Supaguarded a few moons back, it it barely lasted 9 months. The car was prepared and guarded in a day for £200 so I don't think the prep or product was right. I then bought a Startech (Brabus) Evoque which must have had a coating applied, wow that converted me as the car was abused, run through the local hand car wash weekly and after 18 months still looked like a new car even though it was 5 years old! I really wish I knew what they used/did.

The Gtech Platinum is supposed to be guaranteed but apart from my local hand wash I am not sure where I can get it cleaned during winter, I do not own a power washer and have been told bucket, sponge and leather is a no go by my old mate who runs a spray shop.

Will I be better off risking sponge and rinsed leather or the local hand wash (they use spray wash and towels)?

Car beautiful now but nervous how it will look by spring!
204320722d543ac99ac6f7fe92e02396.jpg
0e3088e3d31d95fefdebbd2f03facac2.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Wighty

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
W211/E320cdi/2009 and CLK200k 2009
I went with the Gtech Platinum offered by the dealer, priced at £600 but negotiated close to that off the price of the car. I was sceptical of all these coatings as I had a Range Rover Vogue in black Supaguarded a few moons back, it it barely lasted 9 months. The car was prepared and guarded in a day for £200 so I don't think the prep or product was right. I then bought a Startech (Brabus) Evoque which must have had a coating applied, wow that converted me as the car was abused, run through the local hand car wash weekly and after 18 months still looked like a new car even though it was 5 years old! I really wish I knew what they used/did.

The Gtech Platinum is supposed to be guaranteed but apart from my local hand wash I am not sure where I can get it cleaned during winter, I do not own a power washer and have been told bucket, sponge and leather is a no go by my old mate who runs a spray shop.

Will I be better off risking sponge and rinsed leather or the local hand wash (they use spray wash and towels)?

Car beautiful now but nervous how it will look by spring!
204320722d543ac99ac6f7fe92e02396.jpg
0e3088e3d31d95fefdebbd2f03facac2.jpg

Very nice looking car there ! I wouldn't worry about cleaning yourself . There is a good "sticky" in the detailing section (or DIY section) on car cleaning by C350carl .
Just buy yourself a quality microfibre wash mit (chemical guys ) and some large microfibre towels (try Kent on eBay/Amazon ) for some half decent price ones . A decent shampoo which is very lubricious (good word ) like Poorboys super suds or Meguiars . Hose the car first to get the bits off , then wash from top down , you could try using the two wash bucket method ( but I don't ) , then rinse and dry with the microfibre towel . Some people use a detailing spray as they dry to remove water spots on black paint . Top it off with a wax of your choice and you are good to go .
With a black car , have a read up of a product called Poorboys Black Hole .
And throw away your sponge and leather !!!

Last edited:

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
Very nice looking car there ! I wouldn't worry about cleaning yourself . There is a good "sticky" in the detailing section (or DIY section) on car cleaning by C350carl .
Just buy yourself a quality microfibre wash mit (chemical guys ) and some large microfibre towels (try Kent on eBay/Amazon ) for some half decent price ones . A decent shampoo which is very lubricious (good word ) like Poorboys super suds or Meguiars . Hose the car first to get the bits off , then wash from top down , you could try using the two wash bucket method ( but I don't ) , then rinse and dry with the microfibre towel . Some people use a detailing spray as they dry to remove water spots on black paint . Top it off with a wax of your choice and you are good to go .
With a black car , have a read up of a product called Poorboys Black Hole .
And throw away your sponge and leather !!!
Thanks for the advice, orders placed!

John Laidlaw

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
Land Rover Discovery 4
I would say with the black car the 2 bucket and grit guards are worth the effort. Buckets from anywhere dead cheap, grit guards 2 for £12.20 on Amazon Prime at the minute
Swirls are hell on a black car no matter what your coating is, if any grit gets onto your mitt you’ll get them..

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014
I would say with the black car the 2 bucket and grit guards are worth the effort. Buckets from anywhere dead cheap, grit guards 2 for £12.20 on Amazon Prime at the minute
Swirls are hell on a black car no matter what your coating is, if any grit gets onto your mitt you’ll get them..
Thanks didn't even know they existed, ordered!

sl500amgsport

Reaction score
Your Mercedes
SL500 2014

You lost your key ? Or maybe you need a spare! Your vehicle imobilliser does not respond anymore? WE CAN FIX THEM ALL !! Mobile ! Save Time and Increase Profits With us !
Top Bottom